Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sako quad license

Options
  • 14-07-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

if i were to buy a sako quad with 4 changeable barrels,do ineed four licenses?maybe a stupid question.is this rifle any good?comes in 22lr 17mach 22wmr 17hmr.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Short answer ; Yes. Every calibre must have its own license. Even one gun with 2 barrels of the same calibre must have 2 seperate licenses. A mate of mine has a sig 226 (handgun) in .40 cal with a .22 conversion kit. Has 2 seperate licenses.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

wont be getting one of them so!!if the new law price is 80 or 90e each you have pay360 for it!knew it would be 4 licenses was hoping it wouldnt be.do you know if its a good set up to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

yes but no ,

you will have a licence for a sako in .22 that will cover your two .22s in your rifles no.
    as no is printed on the action not the barrel is it not.
    same in 17 .so two licences will do if your dealer plays ball .

why pay a extra 160 bucks .i cant see any law been broken ,also its a load of crap that you even should have two.

best not educate them as a educated fool is dangerous.

300,000 fire arms in ireland at 80 bucks each = @ 24,000,000 give or take .thats a lot of donuts

Personally no. I wouldn't like to have one. You have one stock, breach scope, etc. but 4 barrels. You sight the gun in on say the .22lr. You change to the .17hmr and trajectory, accuracy is out the window. different rounds at different velocities and different point of impact. The four barrels are also closely matched calibre wise. Why not go for two seperate rifles. One could be a .22lr and the other a hornett or .17hmr. Each rifle needs zeroed but once its done thats it. No messing around with re-zeroing ( i think thats a word). Plus what do you do if you're out. Carry 4 barrels with you. Thats my own opinion but i've no practical experience with one. As mentioned i wouldn't have an interest in one.

Some of the top shooters at midlands have spare barrels for their 7mm and other target rifles but they are the same calibre and the rifles are so well maintained that a barrel change would only require slight adjustment to get back on target. Although those lads record everything so they could change barrels, check their notes then simply make the necessary scope adjustments and be bang on target.

By the by the new licenses will be €66 per firearm for a period of 3 years.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

You cant go wrong with a sako great quality firearms, pick a calibre and enjoy.

• Advertisement

i was thinking along those lines but im sure as soon as he asls how is it 2 different rounds for one rifle he will want the 4 licenses,it woulb be good if they didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

bazza888 wrote: »
    wont be getting one of them so!!if the new law price is 80 or 90e each you have pay360 for it!knew it would be 4 licenses was hoping it wouldnt be.do you know if its a good set up to get?

I was reading a report on the sako quad only yesterday, the report was compiled by L.P Brezny, an american gun guru and author of several excellent shooting books. His take on the rifle was that it was well made and accurate with all barrells being tested for accuracy. It was in his opinion a well made sako product, just a pity about the multi licence situation in Ireland.

jwshooter wrote: »
    .....as no is printed on the action not the barrel is it not.

If its four seperate barrels and one stock anf rifle is bought as package deal (i'm assuming) would they not stamp the barrels to differentiate between them. The serial number on the stock would/could not cover all barrels. Technically you would be in possession of an unlicensed firearm would you not:confused:

ezridax wrote: »
    Personally no. I wouldn't like to have one. You have one stock, breach scope, etc. but 4 barrels. You sight the gun in on say the .22lr. You change to the .17hmr and trajectory, accuracy is out the window. different rounds at different velocities and different point of impact. The four barrels are also closely matched calibre wise. Why not go for two seperate rifles. One could be a .22lr and the other a hornett or .17hmr. Each rifle needs zeroed but once its done thats it. No messing around with re-zeroing ( i think thats a word). Plus what do you do if you're out. Carry 4 barrels with you. Thats my own opinion but i've no practical experience with one. As mentioned i wouldn't have an interest in one.

Some of the top shooters at midlands have spare barrels for their 7mm and other target rifles but they are the same calibre and the rifles are so well maintained that a barrel change would only require slight adjustment to get back on target. Although those lads record everything so they could change barrels, check their notes then simply make the necessary scope adjustments and be bang on target.

Were did you here about the 66 euro, i thought it was 80 euro for 3 yrs on tha N.A.R.G.C website last week.

I don't know for sure. Was talking to a guy at a garage today. (Getting car serviced). Got talking about guns, etc. and he told me he was notified by post that his renewal would be €66 euro per firearm per year. Like everyone else here i've heard so many stories that i don't know anymore and am just waiting to see what comes through the letterbox. He also said he was one of the first to get the renewal notifications as he has a couple of restricted firearms. Said all those with handguns will be first, then restricted firearms holders and eventually everyone else over the following 12 months with staggered renewal in 3 years from date of first renewal. Like car insurance but over 3 years. ( thats alot of renewal talk)

Anyway its what he told me and he seemed convincing. Hope he's right works out cheaper.

• Advertisement

I don't know for sure. Was talking to a guy at a garage today. (Getting car serviced). Got talking about guns, etc. and he told me he was notified by post that his renewal would be €66 euro per firearm per year. Like everyone else here i've heard so many stories that i don't know anymore and am just waiting to see what comes through the letterbox. He also said he was one of the first to get the renewal notifications as he has a couple of restricted firearms. Said all those with handguns will be first, then restricted firearms holders and eventually everyone else over the following 12 months with staggered renewal in 3 years from date of first renewal. Like car insurance but over 3 years. ( thats alot of renewal talk)

Anyway its what he told me and he seemed convincing. Hope he's right works out cheaper.

That would be alot better alright sure as you have said we will have to wait and see.
    Thanks RH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

The Sako Quad is designed as a light handy walkabout varmint rifle, which offers the owner the choice of having 4 calibres, you would pick which calibre you wish to use and fit it to the rifle before leaving for the hunt.
    Sako have teamed up with Burris, and the folks at Burris have designed a quad 3-9 power scope that retains special turret rings that allow the hunter to set exact zero for each of his four barrels, negating the need for any rezeroing during calibre change.
    The downside here is the 80 euro per three year permit for each barrel.

If its four seperate barrels and one stock anf rifle is bought as package deal (i'm assuming) would they not stamp the barrels to differentiate between them. The serial number on the stock would/could not cover all barrels. Technically you would be in possession of an unlicensed firearm would you not:confused:

no ,the barrels are color coded .

most rifle manufacturers stamp the serial no on the action .

burris make a scope for the quad with 4 settings on it for each bullet.

Originally posted by foxhunter243

Sako have teamed up with Burris, and the folks at Burris have designed a quad 3-9 power scope that retains special turret rings that allow the hunter to set exact zero for each of his four barrels, negating the need for any rezeroing during calibre change.

Didn't know that.

Its down to individual choice i suppose. If i'm out stalking deer i'll bring the 6.5 (soon to be the 30-06), crows & pigeon the shotgun, bunnies the .22lr (up to 70/80 yards)I only bring out what i intend to use. I can see how the Sako Quad would be handy especially with the above zero guide and scope, but its just not my cup of tea and the real kicker would be the 4 licenses for one gun (technically)

i cant see the point of it myself ,just another gimmick to sell rifles and there over priced any way.

Out of curiosity, how much is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not sure I'd try the "the number's on the action, not the barrel" line myself jw. I mean, it makes no common sense, but if you ticked off a Garda enough to bother, he'd just charge you for possession of an unlicenced firearm because under the law even a barrel, on its own, with nothing else, is technically a firearm. Yes, in this case, that's a daft joke, but then technically, a night vision scope is a firearm, as is a moderator, as is a laser pointer with a picatinny rail mounting.

Sparks wrote: »
    Not sure I'd try the "the number's on the action, not the barrel" line myself jw. I mean, it makes no common sense, but if you ticked off a Garda enough to bother, he'd just charge you for possession of an unlicenced firearm because under the law even a barrel, on its own, with nothing else, is technically a firearm. Yes, in this case, that's a daft joke, but then technically, a night vision scope is a firearm, as is a moderator, as is a laser pointer with a picatinny rail mounting.

numbers ,on the action i have never seen a no on a rifle barrel .

hear is one for you if i had a blazer in 308 and had two 308 barrels for it one lite hunting one and one heavy target barrel would i require two licences

the no is on the action with blazer.

its 790 i think in shoot.ie was just curious have a 22lr so will prob get a 17hmr or diff calibre at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Anybody know how much the barrels are?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

its 790 i think in shoot.ie was just curious have a 22lr so will prob get a 17hmr or diff calibre at some stage

You're half way there so. No need for a sako quad. A .17hmr or .22 horenett would probably suit. Go mad and go for a .220 swaift. NICE. I seen that rifle on shoot.ie but in America and other places the single barrel version is $900 and the 4 barrel is $1800 so i can't see getting the 4 barrel for €800, but if it is its a bargain.
    Originally posted by jwshooter

numbers ,on the action i have never seen a no on a rifle barrel .

Some rifles have a serial number on the barrel right up tight to the breach. Others obscure the number by having it on the underbelly of the rifle so the stock hides it. Point is all manufacturers stamp breach and barrel and each number coincides with the other so if either the barrel or stock/breach was stolen, damaged, need replaced, whatever, they can ensure that barrel goes with that stock/breach. Security.

yeah am on shoot.ie doesnt say you get the 4 barrels thats why when i say 790 for it i tought it mite be a good buy,but as you say it would be very cheap.how does it work for alicense for the shot guns with 2 sets of barrels you can change then

• Registered Users Posts: 39,364 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no point getting one with 4 barrells. You are better off getting one with two barrels.

how many people do you know that have the WMR, HMR and the HM2
    The people generally pick one of either HMR or WMR and a .22lr for their rimfires.
    yes but no ,

you will have a licence for a sako in .22 that will cover your two .22s in your rifles no.
    as no is printed on the action not the barrel is it not.
    same in 17 .so two licences will do if your dealer plays ball .

why pay a extra 160 bucks .i cant see any law been broken ,also its a load of crap that you even should have two.

best not educate them as a educated fool is dangerous.

300,000 fire arms in ireland at 80 bucks each = @ 24,000,000 give or take .thats a lot of donuts
    Again, why bother with all 4.
    you won't be paying any extra.
    Why not go for two seperate rifles. One could be a .22lr and the other a hornett or .17hmr. Each rifle needs zeroed but once its done thats it. No messing around with re-zeroing ( i think thats a word). Plus what do you do if you're out. Carry 4 barrels with you. Thats my own opinion but i've no practical experience with one. As mentioned i wouldn't have an interest in one.
    If you went for two rifles, sat .22lr and HMR
    Would you carry the two rifles with you when you are out?

There are a number of reasons for owning and a number for not owning. But some of the reasons here a silly at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

hear is one for you if i had a blazer in 308 and had two 308 barrels for it one lite hunting one and one heavy target barrel would i require two licences
    the no is on the action with blazer.
    Technically, yes.
    Practically... well, let's just say that I'd rather have the two licences than run across a Garda who's having a bad day and isn't feeling terribly professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I'd a Blaser LRS2, it had two barrels and the serial numbers where marked on both barrels, i also had two FAC's 308 and 65x55.

The Sako Quad, i'd read a test before done with a Kahles scope, it came across as a nice bit of kit but i decided not to bother when i found out that you'd need 4 FAC's .
    http://www.kahlesoptik.com/index.php5?menu=3&seite=30&faq_id=6

Originally posted by Mellor

If you went for two rifles, say .22lr and HMR
    Would you carry the two rifles with you when you are out?

Sarcasm, the recourse of a weak mind.

You know full well what i mean. Why not have a specific rifle for a specific task as mentioned in one of my previous posts.
    Originally posted by ezridax

If i'm out stalking deer i'll bring the 6.5 (soon to be the 30-06), crows & pigeon the shotgun, bunnies the .22lr (up to 70/80 yards)I only bring out what i intend to use.

If i'm out and have the .22lr but come across a deer i'm not going to shoot at it. I might be sickened that i missed an opportunity but you don't have to shoot at everything that moves. Next time i go out i'll bring the 6.5 and stalk deer.
    Originally posted by Mellor

There is no point getting one with 4 barrells. You are better off getting one with two barrels.

I agree with you on this point but with one stipulation. Do not have two barrels of similar calibre. If it were available i'd go for .22lr and then something along the lines of .243. That would be something nice and practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,364 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sarcasm, the recourse of a weak mind.

You know full well what i mean. Why not have a specific rifle for a specific task as mentioned in one of my previous posts.
    I was being retorical, not sarcastic.
    Based on your point of carrying 4 barrels.

If i'm out and have the .22lr but come across a deer i'm not going to shoot at it. I might be sickened that i missed an opportunity but you don't have to shoot at everything that moves. Next time i go out i'll bring the 6.5 and stalk deer.
    This was the point I was illustrating.
    It pretty much contradicts your earlier comment.

I agree with you on this point but with one stipulation. Do not have two barrels of similar calibre. If it were available i'd go for .22lr and then something along the lines of .243. That would be something nice and practical.
    Of course. If I was to have two, one would likely be a .22 and the next a CF in the .220-.243 range. Which obviously has nothing to do with the Quad or this thread.

But if I wanted two or more of .22lr/HMR/WMR/HM2 (as wel as any CF rifles you have). And many people do, including a number here (.22lr and .17 HMR is common), then the Quad serves a function.
    As I said before, I can think of many pros and many cons. But some of the reasons suggested here were just plain silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

I own a Sako Quad in .17HMR. My licence shows the serial number stamped on the receiver. The barrel has a six digit serial number stamped on it but is not mentioned on the licence. My licence merely states .17 calibre.
    The doubts over licencing additional barrels are strangling what is a very good rifle. However, I reckon if these doubts were cleared up I would only bother with an additional .22lr barrel. I think the .22lr & .17HMR would be all I needed.
    Is it a good rifle? Well, it works! I am not sure if it groups as tightly as other rifles with fixed barrel/receiver in .17HMR. A pal has a CZ .17 and it performs just as well and possibly slightly better on paper. The Sako has better balance & trigger & a much smoother action and so is better than the CZ in the field.
    The synthetic stock feels plasticy and hollow - I sorted that by removing the butt pad and filling with dense foam - it takes away the hollow sound. The barrel can be taken off for cleaning and it returns to zero when you put it back on - this says a lot for the standard of engineering.
    Is it worth 800 euro? Well I like CZ and I had a choice on the day I bought this gun. The Sako just felt better in the hand, the bluing was better, the trigger was better, the bolt smoother & quieter. For me it was worth the extra 250 euro. You pays yer money & takes yer pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tomconway

Didn't know that.

Its down to individual choice i suppose. If i'm out stalking deer i'll bring the 6.5 (soon to be the 30-06), crows & pigeon the shotgun, bunnies the .22lr (up to 70/80 yards)I only bring out what i intend to use. I can see how the Sako Quad would be handy especially with the above zero guide and scope, but its just not my cup of tea and the real kicker would be the 4 licenses for one gun (technically)

I spoke to the garda firearms policy unit on this very topic two weeks ago.
    The guy told me you need a licence for each caliber but you can have a spare barrel of the same caliber say 17 hmr 17 match on the one licence.
    if you want 17 and 22 then you must have 2 licences. there are unique identification no on the barrels. I have sako quad synthetic in 17hmr and wanted 22lr
    barrel as well for practis lots of ranges will let you on with 22lr but not 17hmr
    also the 22lr is very cheap to shoot. benefits of 17hmr shoots very flat
    so close in or long range 17hmr has it covered 22lr is just for close in.

• Advertisement

All correct and true but, its a bit of a zombie thread Tom.

16+ months old and just as/before the CJ(MP)A was published/enacted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement