Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate Your Solicitor.com

Options
  • 14-07-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Just wondering has anyone ever tried posting on this website? How long does it take for a posting to appear on the website?
    Just find it a little strange that a positive posting I made was never put up on the site but many negative ones have gone on since.
    Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me being suspicious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Yes, I've noticed this too.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

General experience with this RYS is that positive posting fall thru the cracks or otherwise disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

If you look at the Hall of Shame you'll see the bad ratings go into several hundreds but in the Hall of Fame the good solicitors only have between 10/15 positive ratings!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I take no notice of 80% of the crap written there.

There is obviously someone who writes negative posts regardless.

For example, I personally know a firm in my home town called "Joe Bloggs & Co.". Now Joe Bloggs set up the firm in 1849 and is obvously dead as disco and no relations still around. It hasn't been a family fim in about 100 years.

Now one of the typical posts, says..."Joe Bloggs is incompetent with no regard for his clients etc etc blah blah. Avoid."

A lot of the posts are written by the same person and the fact he slags off a dead solicitor clearly shows that it is utter BS. The poster never used the firm but still posts negative posts. For the record, it is the only negative post.

I imagine that is going on for most of the other firms.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

We possibly shouldn't discuss this site too much. I have heard it is subject to investigation at the moment along with crookedlawyers.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Sorry last comment Tom, If anybody is bothered, read the posts re McCann Fitz....somebody must seriously be ripping the p***! funny though:D

I'm not closing the thread. I believe in Freedom of Expression but those sites are borderline offensive in my view.

In fairness having looked at that sight many times, its quite comical. If you were to believe everything that was said on it than all lawyers are evil corrupt money grabbers with no ethics or morals!:rolleyes:

Yes, it's extreme but there are clear defamations on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

"This firm tried to interfere with my satirical treatise of Martin Cullen & Monica Leech on my web site www.soldiersofdestiny.org I was threatened with legal proceedings which are also proceeding in the High Court against most of Dublin's newspapers and R.T.E. I believe they are lackeys for Fianna Fail. Part of the "Golden Circle" of "Friends of Fianna Fail"."

rofl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In fairness having looked at that sight many times, its quite comical. If you were to believe everything that was said on it than all lawyers are evil corrupt money grabbers with no ethics or morals!:rolleyes:
    You didn't get the memo? :eek:

Well Victor there not all bad........but i do see a niche in the market for a nice solicitor i.e me ;) hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

A very small niche indeed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 siobhanx

Tom Young wrote: »
    Yes, it's extreme but there are clear defamations on the site.
    Tom, could you give me some details about the investigation into RYS and their sister site? I am very curious about what is currently under investigation and by whom. Thanx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Barnaby

And they're not? LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lougem

Here is an extract from an essay on the site: "Another group you have to watch is the Freemasons. They are a big group in western Canada and I have heard a lot of stories of secret hand signals and special words in lawyer's submissions that tell the judge "I am a Freemason and I want you to help your brother". The lawyer or the client is that Freemason brother and, as you probably know, the Freemasons have taken an Oath to help each other. There was some very bad stuff in England a few years back involving Freemasons."

Seriously...I would laugh, but the idea that some people actually believe this is a sobering thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

lougem wrote: »
    Here is an extract from an essay on the site: "Another group you have to watch is the Freemasons. They are a big group in western Canada and I have heard a lot of stories of secret hand signals and special words in lawyer's submissions that tell the judge "I am a Freemason and I want you to help your brother". The lawyer or the client is that Freemason brother and, as you probably know, the Freemasons have taken an Oath to help each other. There was some very bad stuff in England a few years back involving Freemasons."

Seriously...I would laugh, but the idea that some people actually believe this is a sobering thought.

Haha, somebody read Dan Brown's the lost symbol and their imagination's going wild...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'd say the majority of posters are solicitors who write negative comments about their rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I'd say the majority of posters are solicitors who write negative comments about their rivals.

I'd doubt that really...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sleipnir wrote: »

I don't think so... even with the downturn they are hardly that bored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 happpycamper

I have looked at it on a couple of occasions, alot of it you could take with a grain of truth and i am sure some of it is comppeting firms taking the mick out of each other. Kilroys have received a fair bashing in recent times. they used to be good i thought but they seem to be getting some negative feedback especially against one solicitor, as far as i know that solicitor deserves that commentbut it shouldnt be dealt with like that. if someone makes an alllegations of inpropriate behaviour towards a client then it should be an internal issue for the comp to deal with that employee. it is amusing though but i also presume a good indication of peoples views on solicitors!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

lougem wrote: »

The Freemasons are a real society and have had an influence in Ireland going back 100's of years. The 3rd biggest lodge in the world is in Dublin across from the Dail. They also have lodges in a lot of towns and villages over the country. Here is their website http://www.irish-freemasons.org/ . It isnt a conspiracy. There are plenty of them, i wouldnt be surprised if they work in the legal profession just as much as any other profession.

Read Article 65 below of the Constitution of Ireland Act 1920
    24w63x5.jpg

They have symbology all over Dublin and their famous 'All Seeing Eye' is on top of the Four Courts. Notice the Fasci underneath it too

2d9438p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

Croga wrote: »
    The Freemasons are a real society and have had an influence in Ireland going back 100's of years. The 3rd biggest lodge in the world is in Dublin across from the Dail. They also have lodges in a lot of towns and villages over the country. Here is their website

Of course the freemasons exist, and no doubt many influential people throughout the centuries were freemasons. The bit about secret hand signals in the district court though is pushing it.

I'm not sure what point you are making about the four courts. It was started in 1786. Since then we have had Wolfe Tone, the quakers feed us soup in the 1840s, 1916, independence, a civil war and two world wars have come and gone. In the same time there has been a French Revolution and the United States came into existence.

Likewise there may well have been a few legislative nods in the direction of the Freemasons, but compare it to what other organisations have got and it becomes very irrelevant... I refer especially to the Catholic Chruch, an organisation not exactly known for its openness and democratic intentions and far more powerful throughout the ages than most states.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

maidhc wrote: »
    Of course the freemasons exist, and no doubt many influential people throughout the centuries were freemasons. The bit about secret hand signals in the district court though is pushing it.

I'm not sure what point you are making about the four courts. It was started in 1786. Since then we have had Wolfe Tone, the quakers feed us soup in the 1840s, 1916, independence, a civil war and two world wars have come and gone. In the same time there has been a French Revolution and the United States came into existence.

Likewise there may well have been a few legislative nods in the direction of the Freemasons, but compare it to what other organisations have got and it becomes very irrelevant... I refer especially to the Catholic Chruch, an organisation not exactly known for its openness and democratic intentions and far more powerful throughout the ages than most states.

I've never seen the hand signals in court and im not a member of the Freemasons so i dont know either. Dont know if the image came up for you on the thread but the point I was making about the Four Courts is that the Freemasons famous 'All Seeing Eye' is on top of the gates of the Four Courts. Here is the image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Croga wrote: »
    The Freemasons are a real society and have had an influence in Ireland going back 100's of years. The 3rd biggest lodge in the world is in Dublin across from the Dail. They also have lodges in a lot of towns and villages over the country. Here is their website http://www.irish-freemasons.org/ . It isnt a conspiracy. There are plenty of them, i wouldnt be surprised if they work in the legal profession just as much as any other profession.

Read Article 65 below of the Constitution of Ireland Act 1920

They have symbology all over Dublin and their famous 'All Seeing Eye' is on top of the Four Courts. Notice the Fasci underneath it too

The Government of Ireland Act, 1920 (not Constitution of Ireland Act) was repealed by the Statute Law Revision Act 2007, Schedule 2 so the section you quoted above no longer gives any protection to Freemasons. Methinks someone is reading a bit too much into some of the symbols at the Four Courts.

I certainly wouldn't worry about a grand conspiracy of freemasons taking over the legal system and trying to shaft their clients. And even if they do I'm sure reputable sources like rateyoursolicitor will expose them before its all too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 siobhanx

after numerous emails to admin of the site they have removed all comments about me. I told them that I did not know who the people were that had left comments and this included positive comments also. it's not very pleaseant to see commtns about you on a website left by someone whom you have never met..... at least I can breathe a sigh of relief until somebody decides to launch another attack on me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I don't know about you folk but it strikes me as preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrange that a large piece of masonry constructed and designed rather a long time ago by a mason should have on it old and obscure (eh hang on...) traditional masonic symbols. I mean, where did he learn those ??!??? He hardly picked them up off the street now did he this mason fellow.

If only we could track the Freemasons down somehow or at least prove that they exist, perhaps by way of some kind of 'interweb' type system (www.irish-freemasons.org). Or if we could find out where they meet secretly in full public sight across the road from the Dail for instance. Then we could do something about their strange meetings, wierd rituals and commitment to a sect type organisation (ooer...*closes can of worms on his way out door*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 caramolly

hilltop wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone ever tried posting on this website? How long does it take for a posting to appear on the website?
    Just find it a little strange that a positive posting I made was never put up on the site but many negative ones have gone on since.

Yeah that's pretty well known. I know a one man practice and something rotten (and untrue) posted about him. A few clients told him they posted positive comments about him but they never showed up! In fairness there are dodgy and fraudulent solicitors out there just like there are dodgy people in every profession but the site is extremely unfair and damaging to the business of genuine people trying to make a living. The sooner it's shut down the better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

caramolly wrote: »
    hilltop wrote: »

Yeah that's pretty well known. I know a one man practice and something rotten (and untrue) posted about him. A few clients told him they posted positive comments about him but they never showed up! In fairness there are dodgy and fraudulent solicitors out there just like there are dodgy people in every profession but the site is extremely unfair and damaging to the business of genuine people trying to make a living. The sooner it's shut down the better imo.

In my opinion it's the 95% of them that gives the 5% of them a bad name

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

J Madone wrote: »

In my opinion it's the 95% of them that gives the 5% of them a bad name

so you dragged up this old thread to share your Bon mot with us?

Advertisement