Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing broken stud from boot?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 9:48pm

Ad the thread says.... i was trying to put back on the metal studs onto my F50's today(for the second time, the 1st time the PLASTIC stud key was basically worn down entirely :rolleyes:) and had to use a vice grips,one of the back ones wasn't screwing in properly at all(was like it was going off at an angle) so i tried to force the last bit and the stud broke off leaving the bottom half of it inside the hole.

It broke off basically at the surface, anybody know a good way of getting what's basically a broken screw out of a hole?.... this problem must come up in construction a bit?.... these boots were dear enough so i'd be happy if i can get that broken piece out.

I was thinking maybe use a small drill bit and drill down through it and hopefully loosening the screw up enough to get it out.... anyone got a fix?

Must be one? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You already said it, drill with a small bit in the centre of the stud and then use an easy out or I have successfully used the tang from a file to back the stud out.
    Use plenty of WD40 first and then go at it slowly.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You already said it, drill with a small bit in the centre of the stud and then use an easy out or I have successfully used the tang from a file to back the stud out.
    Use plenty of WD40 first and then go at it slowly.

Great thanks for the advice bout that ''easy out'' thing, never heard of them. I'll try get one in town 2moro.

I can just throw the HG studs back on then(and go ahead and just buy a new pair of SG boots like i had planned), changing studs on F50's isn't really advisable, if they only gave you a metal key changed :mad:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

cut a slot and and use a screwdriver and bfi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can actually buy a stud remover that removes broken screws. Atler go into any engineering company or manufacturing company with a fitter and they will have a tool for removing broken studs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

just get a cheap hacksaw. cut a straight line across the centre of the stud and use a flat head screwdriver and unscrew like a normal screw.

save you drilling and risking punching through the bottom of the shoe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Get a screw with a left hand tread, drill a pilot hole and screw the lefthand screw in (anticlockwise) as it tightens the stud will turn and loosen.

Advertisement