Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS laptops

Options
  • 14-07-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

I think it's almost time to change my Sony Vaio laptop so I was wondering if anyone here has experience owning/using ASUS range of laptops (excluding Eee Netbooks range).

The Sony Vaio I have was bought as a desktop replacement but I wouldn't be too keen on purchasing another Sony Vaio. I've had it for 4 years and over the past 18 months I've had to reinstall the OS several times but I think it was hardware issues now (hard drive errors, bluetooth errors, wireless errors, USB errors, slowness, heating up). I can feel the base of the laptop warm up the duvet now!! :)

I think I'll be avoiding Sony because of this.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I can feel the base of the laptop warm up the duvet now!! :)

There's your problem! Having the laptop on a duvet is going to make it overheat as a lot of the vents will be blocked/partially blocked. It's a bit late now, but it's worth keeping in mind with your new lappy!
    As for asus, although i don't have first hand experience owning one, i hear they're quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

There's your problem! Having the laptop on a duvet is going to make it overheat as a lot of the vents will be blocked/partially blocked. It's a bit late now, but it's worth keeping in mind with your new lappy!

I don't always have it in bed on the duvet. It just so happened I had it when writing that thread last night :D

I can have it on a cool surface, wooden floor, table, armchair etc. always well ventilated and the laptop will begin to heat up.

Check out this search result for overheating issues and recalls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi,

I think it's almost time to change my Sony Vaio laptop so I was wondering if anyone here has experience owning/using ASUS range of laptops (excluding Eee Netbooks range).

The Sony Vaio I have was bought as a desktop replacement but I wouldn't be too keen on purchasing another Sony Vaio. I've had it for 4 years and over the past 18 months I've had to reinstall the OS several times but I think it was hardware issues now (hard drive errors, bluetooth errors, wireless errors, USB errors, slowness, heating up). I can feel the base of the laptop warm up the duvet now!! :)

I think I'll be avoiding Sony because of this.

Thanks.

I've had the joys of playing with some of the performance products from Asus and Acer lately. There really isn't a lot between them- when you compare like with like.

If you're looking for another desktop replacement- obviously you're looking for high specs and performance- over portability?

The Acer is far easier to mod than the Asus- and has a number of internal slots free- plus Acers tend to come fully RAM'ed up with 4Gb these days- versus the 2Gb that many of the Asus stable ship with.

The Asus has a Linux kernel ROM that you can boot into in 7-8 seconds with limited programme and functionality available.

It depends on how you intend to use the computer, what you want (as opposed to need) it to do, how portable it has to be, and what your budget is.

I kept an Acer 8930G in the end- 18.4" of screen real estate in high definition, bluray drive, and very upgradeable (its now got a T9600 processor, better graphics, an Avermedia A306 DVB-T digital TV tuner and 1Tb of hard-drive space.......)

The Asus is probably sexier than than an Acer- but an Acer is more versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Get the Acer 8930G, unless you want the looks of Asus notebooks, the Acer is alot better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Hi all, just wondering, it seems that ASUS does not support A6 drivers for W7. Is that correct?

Thanks
    A6 owner in Dubs

• Advertisement
Advertisement