Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 7mb broadband

Options
  • 14-07-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Moving to eircom 7mb tomorrow. Looking for advice from people who have it. is it worth the money? and can you get 7mb any of the time or all of the time?

Anyways anything would be helpfull before i enter into a 6 month contract.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who says it's a 6 month contract?

Personally, I think you'd be crazy to move to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

Sorry i was a little misleading there. Im already with eircom and have 3mb broadband. They offered us 7mb a few months back. But im working from home more and think it would be good investment.

It says it on there web site that theres a 6 month contract. Dunno if applys to upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hobo Sapiens

Sorry i was a little misleading there. Im already with eircom and have 3mb broadband. They offered us 7mb a few months back. But im working from home more and think it would be good investment.

It says it on there web site that theres a 6 month contract. Dunno if applys to upgrading

Possibly not. I rang them today and because I've had BB for 2 years, they won't apply a new fixed-term contract. I specifically asked if could cancel without penalty and they confirmed that I could.

On the other hand, will it be anywhere near 7 MB in reality?

Heres hoping i guess. Thats kind of why i asked for advice from people who have it already but looks like not many people have.

Looks like smart are alot cheaper but it says i can only get 5mb. because im not on there exchange. weird

Have you looked at BT? You might be able to get up to 24mb.

• Advertisement

Have you looked at BT? You might be able to get up to 24mb.

Just checked bt there now can get the 7mb with them aswell but i'll have to ring them about the 24mb. But i highly dought it as i live in Tipperary im sure its only available in cork or dublin. but it would be pretty sweet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moving to eircom 7mb tomorrow. Looking for advice from people who have it is it worth the money? and can you get 7mb any of the time or all of the time?

Anyways anything would be helpfull before i enter into a 6 month contract.

Thanks in advance!

What are your line stats? They are the key to what speed you are likely to get in day to day stuff.

My Line Attenuation right now is 19/11 dB

What else do you need to know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

My missus got talked into upgrading to this after ringing eircom to complain.
    Unless you're downloading large files from dedicated servers, i.e. movies, I don't see the point over the 3MB.
    Also the upload speed is the same as the 3MB version so no increase there.
    This becomes an issue if you run torrents.
    Your download cap does increase to 50GB but eircom have never charged me for going over the old cap anyway.

So far I'm yet to see the benefit over the 3MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Hi, i recently went from the 3mb to the 7mb service with them about a month ago. At first the service was very hit and miss with the speeds usually around 1mb to 2mb. After a few calls to them they finally sent out an engineer to check my line and now I am usually getting between 5.5 to 6.5mb download speeds in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    My missus got talked into upgrading to this after ringing eircom to complain.
    Unless you're downloading large files from dedicated servers, i.e. movies, I don't see the point over the 3MB.
    Also the upload speed is the same as the 3MB version so no increase there.
    This becomes an issue if you run torrents.
    Your download cap does increase to 50GB but eircom have never charged me for going over the old cap anyway.

So far I'm yet to see the benefit over the 3MB.

There's two 7Mbit packages, 7Mbit with the same 384kbps upload as the 3Mbit package with 48:1 contention and 7.6Mbit with 672kbps upload with 24:1, both the same price
    See here

I'm on the 7.6Mbit, this has 24:1 contention and is the old highest 3Mbit package after the upgrade. the 7Mbit package was introduced for gamers wanting the 7.6Mbit package after the dreaded upgrades which had high pings and high interleaving for all. I didn't move as I wanted the higher upload and stayed on the 7.6Mbit, ping times have improved and I've gotten them to turn down interleaving

Thanks for the advice. Just rang them. The guy on the phone said our line could get up too 15mb. Which i was pleased with. Went for the 7.6 package just in case. He said it would take 24 hours to turn on i guess i'll have to wait and see if theres any improvement. He said notting about a contract so happy days!

Thanks for the advice. Just rang them. The guy on the phone said our line could get up too 15mb. Which i was pleased with. Went for the 7.6 package just in case. He said it would take 24 hours to turn on i guess i'll have to wait and see if theres any improvement. He said notting about a contract so happy days!
    Err... Just because he didn't mention it doesn't mean there isn't one. Any upgrade in service generally comes with a brand new 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I specifically asked if could cancel without penalty and they confirmed that I could.
    Get that in writing. Some of them have been known to lie through their arses to get a sale.

Advertisement