Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of a heads up on meat

• 14-07-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Just been watching "What's really in our food"

Often water is added to chicken fillets so that they're bigger. However, protein powders are used to hold this water in. Now, this is legal and still halal so long as pork proteins aren't used. However, the makers of protein powders have a technique that effectively wipes the DNA of the animal used in the powders.

One huge company in the UK who supplies chicken to Indian takeaway shops had their fillets examined by University of York on behalf of the show. It was shown non-chicken proteins were used, just couldn't confirm it was pork.

The company didn't take the risk though, they were guaranteed originally that only chicken powders would be used so they switched to veg protein as they have to guarantee the takeaways they were providing halal meat.

I'm gonna stick to organic chicken if possible, I think adding water to meat should be banned in the first place. I'd probably be going vegetarian for restaurants/takeaway if I had a spiritual reason not to eat pork.

The show was on BBC1 so they might have it up on their website

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Thanks for the heads up. I heard about this a little while ago as well. Its sad that we sometimes can't be sure of what we are eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

That show is scary. Religious concerns are zero for me but a lot of the practises are offensive to basic human decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Anyone know where i can see that video that was on bbc. I would love to watch it. What was the name of the UK company that was involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

dont want to burst your bubble, but why would a factory process protien from meat rather than make like whey protien from cheese? it produces like a thousand time more yield. lol.

alot of this is BS. as long as its whey protein your talking about, and as long as its 100% from dairy, then its halal.
    However, the makers of protein powders have a technique that effectively wipes the DNA of the animal used in the powders.

yeah. anymore BS?

protein poweders (whey) are made from dairy (soy are made from vegtables, they are for those vegan bodybuilders/athletes), neither of them contain anything from animal sources (i have never seen one which does, and i read the lable each time i buy a new one, and i have been a bodybuilder for quite some time now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

dont want to burst your bubble, but why would a factory process protien from meat rather than make like whey protien from cheese? it produces like a thousand time more yield. lol.

alot of this is BS. as long as its whey protein your talking about, and as long as its 100% from dairy, then its halal.

Not necessarily. Plenty of whey today is still made using rennet, which may come from slaughtered cows (there are vegetarian sources of rennet, but they aren't used that much). If the cows where not slaughtered in the halal way then then the rennet isn't halal and so the whey wouldn't be halal either. (See here).
    protein poweders (whey) are made from dairy (soy are made from vegtables, they are for those vegan bodybuilders/athletes), neither of them contain anything from animal sources (i have never seen one which does, and i read the lable each time i buy a new one, and i have been a bodybuilder for quite some time now)

The labels rarely specify what the source of their ingredients are. If they dont specifically say "vegetarian" or "halal" on them, you cant be sure (and even then, I've seen labels that claimed to be vegetarian yet contained animal whey and so couldn't be vegetarian).Nutella chocolate spread isn't vegetarian and isn't halal (outside of islamic countries anyway) because the whey it contains is animal sourced, yet it doesn't specify this on the label.

• Advertisement
Advertisement