Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traditional Inca trail Versus Jungle inca trail

• 14-07-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi there

Going to be in Peru in Oct/nov and want to do the Inca trail. Wondering does anyone have any opinions on whether the traditional inca trail or the 'Jungle Inca trail' would be better.

The main differences is that the Jungle trail doesn't need to be booked months in advance so you're not tied to dates while travelling, it includes a day mountain biking and of course the cost, it's about half the price.

Any one any experience and/or advice on either trek??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

going doin an inca trail at this time too, we had origianlly planned to do the main inca trail but now are having second thoughts, we are planning to do a trail that is half the price, less busy and less spoilt.. the end destination is the same and u dont need a licence

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was with my mother so I had to take the train but from what I heard the jungle is fantastic, and you won't be crowded. And everyone I know who went the jungle route still says they did the Inca Trail, it's becoming very popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I did the 'real' Inca Trail only 2 months ago.

1. nobody from any other trek walk on the original Inca Trail.

2. IT IS NOT CROWDED. Most of the trek all we ever saw was the porters going by us in the morning and pretty much had the walk to ourselves. (My girlfriend and I)

3. IT IS NOT SPOILT. it was some of the most fantastic scenery i have ever seen and never once saw anytinhg that would say it is been destroyed. Alternative companies spout crap about it been closed down in years to come as the track is in bad condition. This is bullsh*t!

4.The trek is not that difficult and when you reach the sun gate over looking Machu Pichu after 4 days trekking, the sense of achiement is amazing. If you do it you will know what I mean.

5. I went with Llama Path. cannot reccomend them enough. They use smaller qutier campsites.

6. The only thing I didnt like was we were pampered too much at the camp sites. I could only call it luxury trekking. 3 course meals, hot drinks, happy hour(popcorn and biscuits), bowls of hot water for washing yourself(morning, noon and night).

Im sure the other treks are excellent in their own way but I have to say my experience on the 'Original Inca Trail' was amazing. You see lots of ruins along the way and it is challenging in parts. I try not to do things twice but i would definately do it again. Most people dont like to do the trek because of the cost and time restrictions and use the whole eco tourism bullsh*t as reason not to do it. I have heard good reports about the Lares Trek too.

Enjoy whatever you pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

sweet..doing original inca trail this in oct, cant wait!!

darrenh..is there any point for us lazy europeans gettin the porter to carry ur stuff for as extra $100? Its only 4 days so how much stuff would you actually bring up anyway?? surely not alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

paulieeye wrote: »
    sweet..doing original inca trail this in oct, cant wait!!

darrenh..is there any point for us lazy europeans gettin the porter to carry ur stuff for as extra $100? Its only 4 days so how much stuff would you actually bring up anyway?? surely not alot

I'm not a trekker and I wouldnt be that fit but I wouldnt be very unfit either. Just an average guy! Its four days, so although you wont need that much with you, you will have to consider sleeping bag, sleeping mat. If you dont want to carry these I'd pay for the porter. These weigh about 3.5kgs and you are allowed add another 3.5kgs per person. I had a big camera with me and a camel pouch for water and any snacks you might want while walking. The camel pouch was a god sent. Really helped not having to stop for water. I'm not sure what the weather will be like so drying any sweaty clothes might be hard, as at night it can be very cold. I would pay for one if I went again but others might say dont. You can always make your mind up the day before the trek too. Definately get a walking pole. It really helped. Get plenty of time at altitude as well. It didn't affect us that much but others found it difficult. You can check out my blog on the trek if you want.

http://www.travelblog.org/South-America/Peru/Cusco/Inca-Trail/blog-403910.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

Nice blog darrenh, Ive just started planning a trip to SA with my gf in Oct. Lots of good info in there

Advertisement