Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the Germans?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I ask this in all seriousness.

I'm staying in a little town in Franken. It is extremely well maintained. It's quaint and beautiful and really very idyllic. There are several similraly sized towns nearby; the A70 connects them with Schweinfurt and Bamberg. There is plenty of industry in the area too.

But where are all the people? I'm referring specifically to after 8pm. The place is a ghost town. There's no one around. Even in my hotel, almost no one. I walked around the town centre last night at 11 and you could hear a pin drop. No where was open, and no one was walking around, despite the fact that it was a nice balmy night. I went out for a stroll at about 3pm on Sunday and there was a barbeque and beerfest on on one of the streets. I went out again at 10pm and the place was deserted, but there was a stack of old furniture left in a neat pile outside each house. It is sort of surreal. So much activity seems to be done in a short spurt, then everyone vanishes. It's very endearing, but I'm genuinely stumped: where do the Germans go? They surely can't all be in bed at 10pm??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

In the small towns they do! Then again trying to find Germans in Dublin is a tough job. They really do keep to themselves here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

In small towns in Germany they actually go to bed at ten, or at least are at home to watch TV. Work next day starts earlier than in Ireland and they want to be fit for work. Germans, eh?:D

Then there is not much on offer in small towns re nightlife, different culture anyway, not like in Ireland where they start to go to the pub at 10pm. Social life happens at the weekend and they generally prefer to entertain at home.

And don't forget the restricted opening hours in Germany. After 8pm shops are closed, in small places even earlier, so no reason to be out and about.

But go to a city, say Berlin, and you'll have a nightlife like no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yep have to agree with the others. Spent a few months in a small town near Hannover a few years back and it was like the wild west during a gun fight after a certain hour. Even the roads which would be busy during the day would be deserted. That said Hannover itself would be hopping all hours. tbh I much prefer the quiet and relaxation of a small town.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

:D welcome to Germany... it's strange, compared to Ireland. But especially in small(ish) towns, even after 9 PM usually everything's just dead. The shops will close between six and seven, 8 pm is considered 'late opening' (at least it is where I come from - can't wait to go visit next week :pac:)
    Also, NO shops are open on Sundays. The Sunday is holy. Unlike here in catholic Ireland :eek:

:D welcome to Germany... it's strange, compared to Ireland. But especially in small(ish) towns, even after 9 PM usually everything's just dead. The shops will close between six and seven, 8 pm is considered 'late opening' (at least it is where I come from - can't wait to go visit next week :pac:)
    Also, NO shops are open on Sundays. The Sunday is holy. Unlike here in catholic Ireland :eek:

+1 Could you imagine the outcry in Ireland if Sunday opening was stopped, or half days on Saturday. It would be as if the world would come to an end.

You going next week? I'm jealous have to wait 2 :( August bank holiday in Germany nice :D hope the weather is going to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

prinz wrote: »
    +1 Could you imagine the outcry in Ireland if Sunday opening was stopped, or half days on Saturday. It would be as if the world would come to an end.

You going next week? I'm jealous have to wait 2 :( August bank holiday in Germany nice :D hope the weather is going to be good.

:D I know! I love the German's faces, too, when I tell them I do all my shopping on a Sunday. Their jaws hit the ground almost.

Yep, home to Lake Constance on Wednesday *dances* happy days :cool:

Jealousy :p. Enjoy. I love shocking Germans with my relaxed Irish attitude ;) Was going to visit my gf a few months back for a weekend and got stopped by border police, apparently not picking up any checked-in luggage (just had a carry on) made them suspicious. They couldn't believe I'd come on holidays with only 1 change of clothes. I was telling them one change was all I needed :D They didn't know what to make of me until I showed them the return flight for the next day.

Back on topic, the whole late night opening /24h shopping/ Sunday opening is nearly all totally unneccessary. Would much prefer empty quiet streets in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I like the quietness too. I much prefer German towns to Irish towns. They have far more character and are better tended. I was in Rothenburg ob der Tauber today - the most beautiful man-made place I can imagine. My language comprehension is starting to improve, but I am still awful at speaking German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kevinbirchall

:D I know! I love the German's faces, too, when I tell them I do all my shopping on a Sunday. Their jaws hit the ground almost.

I'm jealous too greeneyedspirit, I went to Lindau last year and fell in love with the place. We went skydiving in Leutkirch first then went back to Munchen via Neuschwannstein. Oh, the memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If there's an Irish pub in the area you are in try there, any Germans that don't go to bed at 10 will be found there lol.
    The routine is so different from here, as said, esp. in smaller towns.

When we moved there first I was shocked that people get up at 7am and head to the bakery in their slippers for their bread lol. Well worth it though german baking *drools*.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks - I agree with the baking comment! I'm back in Ireland now. I loved every minute of Germany I have to say. I like the tranquility of small town Germany and wouldn't step into an Irish pub if you paid me while I'm abroad!

Advertisement