Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What for cocktails???

Options
  • 14-07-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there,

It's a friends 21st soon and we are all heading back to her house after the party in the bar.

I was asked by her what cocktails to make and would I make them. I have some of the equiptment for mixing, and will be getting more.

But, What Cocktails should I make?

I would like to make at least 10 simple enough cocktails, using at most 5 different alcoholic ingredients.

So, my question is, what are the 5 most popular and essential ingredients for cocktails? And What can I make with them.

I would like them to be impressive looking drinks but not too hard to get right. Think Tequila sunrise and similar.

I don't know if I will have access to a blender, so let's assume I won't.

What can I make, and what will I need?

Thanks,
    Gav.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Think Tequila sunrise and similar.
    Whenever I see a thread on cocktails I always warn against tequila!, the vast majority of people I know despise the stuff, I have seen "cocktail parties" go bad the second it comes out, i.e. people just turned off the cocktail idea and going back on beer, due to getting a single disgusting cocktail with tequila. I have also seen loads of booze poured down the drain undrank due to this vile addition, which sickens me (both taste and seeing it go down the drain). Shame to see a nice cocktail with a nice blend just destroyed for so many people with that simple addition.

I would get pressed apple juice and pressed pineapple juice (I have only seen it in M&S). For drinks, 3 year old havanna club rum(actually quite cheap), absolut citron, triple sec/cointreau, tia maria, maybe malibu.

Absolut citron is quite a neutral spirit, and most do not mind the mild citron in the drinks. Normal Absolut is not as neutral, they add back in parts of the distillate to give it a vodka taste, I prefer neutral cocktails. Cointreau might be expensive, but I think it is great value, it is 40% so stronger than most other brands, so you need to add less vodka. Also in another thread people commented on it being so strong, so a little goes a long way in a drink.

Please go easy on the tequila and give people fair warning, and do not make up huge batches of any cocktail in case it goes to waste. If you have no blender you can still crush ice, stick it in a strong plastic bag and whack it with a hammer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

So Carribean Sunrise it is, Rum instead of Tequila.

Where would be a good place to get these quite cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Mojitos
    Ice, Rum, Limes, Soda water

Gin & Tonics
    (with Limes OR Cucumber)

Dark and Stormy's
    Rum & Ginger Beer (not ginger ale)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I cant stand Tequila sunrise ugh!!!

Purple rain is the nicest cocktail i've ever had

Ingredients

1 oz. Blue Curacao
    1 oz. Vodka
    7-up
    dash(es) Grenadine

Instructions

Combine the vodka, blue Curacao and grenadine in a cocktail glass. Top with the 7-up, stir, then serve over ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Brambletini!!!

2 parts gin
    1 part (maybe a little more)Chambord (black raspberry liqueur)
    1 part lemon juice
    Caster Sugar to taste (about a teaspoon per coctail -should be quite sour)

Nicest cocktail I've tasted in a long time - pretty lethal too!

+1 on the Mojito and the dark and stormys

I do like a good margarita too.
    or a Manhattan as an alternative :

2 Parts Congnac
    1 part Cointreau
    1 part lemon juice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thanks lads, soon as I get paid I will be getting some of the necessary ingrediants to do some.....research:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Everybody is going to know a G&T has gin. But gin is another on the list along with tequila that many will like or totally despise, add pernod or any aniseed type drinks to that list too.

I remember once getting those cheap mini choc ices without sticks in tesco. I whacked them in the blender with some spirits & coke, it was like a nice coke float and you had little shards of chocolate in it too, also cools it down nicely.

TGIs do €5 cocktails all day every day, they have one which is ice cream based and is more like a dessert, very tasty, I did have one (or 3) as a dessert there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Dudes, Caucasians, White Russians

Vodka

Khalua

Milk

simple and great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Mix That Drink have tons of cocktail recipes. Check them out:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I know this is a little old but it's the most recent cocktail thread i think and no point startin' a new wan.

It's confusing sometimes looking at recipes online cause they vary. Some bartenders and places substitute different ingredients with various results.

For cocktail parties throwing together some funny or cool looking shooters can go down a storm with the crowd.

Try baby guinness , brain haemorrage or a B52. There's variants on all those with regards ingredients.

Baby-Guinness-Drink.jpg
    Baby guinness can use either Baileys and Kahlua or Tia Maria and Baileys or just leave out the Baileys and use any Irish cream liquor.

Shooter.jpg
    Brain Haemorrage I think is grenadine, peach schnapps and Baileys. I'd use cointreau in place of the schnapps.

Cocktail_B52.jpg
    B52 is another layered shooter (all these are) with three distinct layers. This one's got Kahlua (I use Tia Maria) , Baileys (or other) and Amaretto which is a liqour. I use cointreau instead of the Amaretto cause it's all I got :D

Can anyone recommend a good varied cocktail book ? Varied as in including various alternatives rather than just the strict recipes some sites have.

Advertisement