Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOCTILUCENT CLOUDS

Options
  • 14-07-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

For those living in less light polluted areas , a brilliant Noctilucent display to the North East right now (11:25pm)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud

EDIT : display finished .

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great display alright - very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

Saw this display in cork city as well and was first time I could definitively say what I was seeing were noctilucent clouds. Very eerie looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Was my first night seeing it here due to cloudcover but seems to be the third night of the display this week , under the right conditions it might be worth a look north after sunset :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Any chance anyone got any photos of this phenom?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have a look here if your interested in seeing some pics and an insight on how they form and best area's to watch for them.

NLC%20Formation%20Pic.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Heads up , may well be a display later , already being observed in parts of GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Think we have some in kildare..

Definitely start of something in the skies above Celbridge!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Watch out for the space shuttle while you are out and about looking at NLCs. If shuttle takes off at 11pm should be passing here aound 11.20pm.

Shuttle just launched - should pass over in approx. 18 minutes. Watch out for jettisoned boosters behind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Watch out for the space shuttle while you are out and about looking at NLCs. If shuttle takes off at 11pm should be passing here aound 11.20pm.

Shuttle just launched - should pass over in approx. 18 minutes. Watch out for jettisoned boosters behind!

Just saw it just after 18 minutes . Thanks for the info ! I was wondering why there was a second glow behind.

Just saw it, wonderful to see and so visible too! :)

Would freak you out if you didn't know what it was! :p

DOCARCH wrote: »

Jeez , was on the mountain with camera hoping for NCLs ,a no show unfortunately , about to head home when that appeared ...wow :eek:,so that was the shuttle .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

dak wrote: »
    Just saw it just after 18 minutes . Thanks for the info ! I was wondering why there was a second glow behind.

The second glow was supposed to be the jesttoned fuel tank on the space shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Can we expect more of these noctilucent clouds?

I stupidly was outside on Tuesday night at around 10.45, and I never saw it because I was walking from north to south and was only looking out for cars or briars in my way. A "he's behind you!!!" moment. Would be nice to see them in reality.

Advertisement