Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOPLOPHOBIA EXPLORED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The focus is on RKBA and self-defence. I don't think this has a place. Lack of information and general ignorance should not be mistaken for "hoplophobia", which is a disputable and agenda-driven term in the first place. I don't really think this is relevant.

Actually, the more I read, the more I'm finding myself approaching it skeptically. It's certainly got nothing to do with sporting shooting and since we're not an armed populace for the purposes of self defence, I don't think it has a place here. I'll report it for consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I doubt this applies to many irish people at all.

Their is the general fear/dislike of gun related crime. Which is understandable. Few people (pretty much only those in politics and media) express the irrational link between that and legal firearm sports, but for the most part the general public is unaware of these sports, and those that are fully aware of these sports are tolerant. Except for those that oppose (ie the antis), but again their opposition is rarely out of fear of weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

(1) Hoplophobia isn't a real word and frankly, making words like that up in order to denegrate opponents in a political debate really is pretty childish compared to the alternate of actually doing proper, statisically valid, verifiable research (as opposed to Lott's brand of sock puppety and bad math). But I guess good research is too unsexy and too much like hard work :rolleyes:

(2) It's all focussed on the US second amendment. Which I'm not saying is a bad thing, it seems to be important to them, and frankly, I think their gun problems have another source because they've had that amendment for a while now and the gun problems they're having are fairly recent comparatively. However, it's a US thing. And an RKBA thing. And so well outside our charter. Thread closed.

And ancient, please go reread the charter, would you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement