Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proper Dance Festivals

• 15-07-2009 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the line ups for the first Homelands festivals in Mosney or that of the first Creamfields? They lineups were absolutely amazing, Cant remember who played at which but you had Carl cox, billy nasty, dave clarke , richie hawtin, orbital, death in vegas, paul oakenfold, darren emerson, sasha, digweed, goldie....the list goes on and on and the line ups were quality for fans of many different genres of dance music.

Then slowly but surely we ended up getting bands playing at the festy's, Ian brown, primal scream, i mean FFS the sugarbabes played at the last creamfields that i went to.

Anyway, my point is this, Why ruin a DANCE MUSIC festival by putting a pop/rock band playing there?

Electric picnic is probably the best/worst example. That was almost entirely dance music to start but by year 2.... How the fuk are a Gospel Choir or Anthony and the johnsons an electronic music act?

HiFi was not far off being the same, first year Coxy, Clarke, halliwell,tiesto and on and on, second year- Razorlight, the streets...ferfuksake lads, just give us the bloody Dance music we came for.

I know there's planet love, but TBH thats mostly hard trance/NRG. I just want to know if there's going to be any festivals EVER again here with a huge lineup of big name DJs from across the different dance genres and no bands/choirs/country and western.

All over Europe there are a multitude of festivals that cater for Dance music fans so why cant we have one here? Whats the problem?

My personal view is that the promoters are gobsh!tes who havent really got a clue and just cram in acts they think they can make a buck off.

So anyone else got any views on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That big fire breathing dragon in the middle of the night at EP was very impressive, not to mention some of the "non" headline gigs..
    I don't think bodytonic are at this years ep, that would be a big loss..

tbh, I don't think the market is still there, nothing like when we were growing up anyway..

Still some great club nights going and no wellies or tents requied...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

erm, go to any dance festival that's not in Ireland and you will 99% get a great line up, problem solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

playing devil's advocate or whatever here ...

is it possible from an Irish festival organisers/promoters perspective that the ideal scenario is one where the audience come along, have a good time, no fights, no pills and class A drugs, everyone enjoying maybe just a few too many beers that have been priced accordingly and much of the audience will be made up of sedate couples and a mix of ages?

In that scenario I'd go the EP route if I were a promoter looking for a way to make stress free money on the festival scene.

it's maybe the same reason why we don't have a major Metal festival here, too many variables, even though a Metal audience is quite often the best behaved according to a manager I met at the Point depot a few years ago.

The Life fest this year was an example of where they went for a more dance orientated lineup and the vibe in the crowd was not as good as in years when there would be an all round dance/rock/reggae mix. They also seemed to have a lot more headaches to deal with from a security perspective.

Give me a night of Ben Klock, Shpongle, Radiohead and Girls Aloud on the same bill and I'll dance, toke, sway, have a few beers and get tres horny over a few hours without grief. ... o dear why isn't that gig on right now:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jay D wrote: »
    erm, go to any dance festival that's not in Ireland and you will 99% get a great line up, problem solved!

Thats kind of what i'm getting at. Why cant we have a viable alternative to I love techno or sonar or any of the big Dance only festivals here? Are our promoters unable to put on a dance only show? As regards the drugs/fights etc, well just make sure the event is well policed and perpetrators are well punished.... too simple for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Electric picnic is probably the best/worst example. That was almost entirely dance music to start but by year 2.... How the fuk are a Gospel Choir or Anthony and the johnsons an electronic music act?
    EP was never almost entirely dance music

Super Furry Animals, Jurassic 5, Grandmaster Flash, Arrested Development, Lee Scratch Perry, Soulwax (band), David Kitt off the top of my head all played at the first one
    And heres a shocker for you, some people can actually appreciate more than one genre of music

• Advertisement

What we need is another Solus festival. This time with people. And sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Nature One I shall be there in two weeks. I wouldnt bother with a festival in Ireland anymore. Been to Czech Republic and Germany twice in the last year and doesnt compare. And it cost less to go abroad for festivals. Flights & ticket for Nautre One, Fri-Sun cost me €200 and that was only because i booked flights at last minute, was actually a lot cheaper two months ago. Probably would have got it for about 120. Never again will I go to an overpriced, badly organised, piss poor line up event here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Think the problem is just with Ireland tbh, not festivals in general...
    Glade is on over here this weekend and looks ****ing brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Woooly

Slunk who you book your fights with? Few of us thinking of heading over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the line ups for the first Homelands festivals in Mosney or that of the first Creamfields? They lineups were absolutely amazing, Cant remember who played at which but you had Carl cox, billy nasty, dave clarke , richie hawtin, orbital, death in vegas, paul oakenfold, darren emerson, sasha, digweed, goldie....the list goes on and on and the line ups were quality for fans of many different genres of dance music.

Then slowly but surely we ended up getting bands playing at the festy's, Ian brown, primal scream, i mean FFS the sugarbabes played at the last creamfields that i went to.

Anyway, my point is this, Why ruin a DANCE MUSIC festival by putting a pop/rock band playing there?

HiFi was not far off being the same, first year Coxy, Clarke, halliwell,tiesto and on and on, second year- Razorlight, the streets...ferfuksake lads, just give us the bloody Dance music we came for.

I know there's planet love, but TBH thats mostly hard trance/NRG. I just want to know if there's going to be any festivals EVER again here with a huge lineup of big name DJs from across the different dance genres and no bands/choirs/country and western.

All over Europe there are a multitude of festivals that cater for Dance music fans so why cant we have one here? Whats the problem?

My personal view is that the promoters are gobsh!tes who havent really got a clue and just cram in acts they think they can make a buck off.

So anyone else got any views on this?

i remember digweeds set from the first Homelands he just flew in from
    doing a set in twilo and rocked the place i remember him dropping

cass&slide diablo evolution mix tune......

man it rained all day but a great gig

creamfields 2001 was class weather was great the sun was actually out..
    i was watching oakenfold from the hill on the main stage dropped

Amoebaassassin piledriver

tune........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Woooly wrote: »
    Slunk who you book your fights with? Few of us thinking of heading over

Ryanair unfortunately. You ahve to fly to frankfurt-hahn as frankfurt international is the far side of town. Its only 20 minutes in taxi from Hahn. Or theres shuttlle buses. Should be a great weekend :D

Jus checked. 440 euro for two people plus chekin in a bag for your tent. Double what I got them for. Maybe worthwhile checking frankfurt international with aerlingus and getting the train out to Koblenz where there will be shuttle buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Woooly

Thanks Slunk, will give Aer Lingus a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

old gregg wrote: »
    is it possible from an Irish festival organisers/promoters perspective that the ideal scenario is one where the audience come along, have a good time, no fights, no pills and class A drugs, everyone enjoying maybe just a few too many beers that have been priced accordingly and much of the audience will be made up of sedate couples and a mix of ages?

Having done security at more than a few festivals, you are crazy if you think the pillheads cause more trouble than the boozehounds.

You get the odd moron who figures he's Albert Hoffmann and drops about 3 tabs out the gate and you need to tie him down to stop him hurting himself but the VAST majority of actual person on person incidents i have dealt with nearly always involved a couple of drunks to be honest.

Personally i prefer the English festivals, you can get them on the scale that you want. The job killed big festivals for me, but the smaller ones are class.

Dragan wrote: »
    Having done security at more than a few festivals, you are crazy if you think the pillheads cause more trouble than the boozehounds.
    jeez, wrong tree dude. I never said anything about pillheads causing trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

old gregg wrote: »
    jeez, wrong tree dude. I never said anything about pillheads causing trouble.

Sorry dude,
    is it possible from an Irish festival organisers/promoters perspective that the ideal scenario is one where the audience come along, have a good time, no fights, no pills and class A drugs, everyone enjoying maybe just a few too many beers

I took this line to mean that you thought promoters would rather people be drinking than doing class A's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

I'm in barca at the moment :)

off to this in a few hours hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Monegros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZ0Ka9BUP8

ORBITAL / CARL COX / VITALIC / DAVE CLARKE / RICHIE HAWTIN / RICARDO VILLALOBOS
    LUCIANO presents ÆTHER(live) / DUBFIRE / SVEN VÄTH / TIGA / BEN SIMS
    SINO(live)TECHNASIA & DOSEM / LOCO DICE / CROOKERS / JOSH WINK / DJ MURPHY
    VALENTINO KANZYANI / CRISTIAN VARELA / KEN ISHII / MARCO CAROLA
    BRODINSKI / OSCAR DE RIVERA / FATIMA HAJJI / ROBERT LAMART / MIKEL TEBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

luzon wrote: »
    i remember digweeds set from the first Homelands he just flew in from
    doing a set in twilo and rocked the place i remember him dropping

cass&slide diablo evolution mix tune......

man it rained all day but a great gig

creamfields 2001 was class weather was great the sun was actually out..
    i was watching oakenfold from the hill on the main stage dropped

Amoebaassassin piledriver

tune........

Great times. also remember diggers dropping Heaven Sent and place erupted. that was the start of Irelands electronic festivals and the end of it actually imo.

Dragan wrote: »
    Sorry dude,

I took this line to mean that you thought promoters would rather people be drinking than doing class A's.
    no worries, it's all cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

I think around 99/2000 when Homelands and Creamfields were taking place in Ireland was the peak of the "dance" music festival. After 2001, dance music really suffered in Ireland - clubs closed, club nights stopped, and there wasn't much happening in the eletronic scene - in fact many people pronounced it dead. This was of course not true, once promoters and clubs started to get going again, the scene got popular once more, but it's fair to say in the early noughties the dance scene suffered in Dublin (and globally), no question.

The closest thing I've been to a "dance" festival in Ireland since homelands was Sibin this year, which was great fun, although lacked the lineup of international stars to make it a mainstream festival. Planet Love is a dance only festival, but I'd have no interest in attending it. Personally, I like the EP model of having electronic music beside non-electronic acts, it's nice to wander and hear different things. I couldn't imagine anything more mundane than listening to an entire weekend of house and techno - I love these genres too, but too much of anything can be a bad thing, and variety is the spice of life after all. There are plenty of great dance festivals in the UK if you really need to be at one - Creamfields in Liverpool is now a weekend event, and judging by the names you mentioned, should be well up your strasse.

Advertisement