Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 Home Premium E *Preorder*[£53.56(VAT+deliver incl.)@Amazon]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Excellent.. Just ordered it. Thanks. And thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Mr E wrote: »
    Thats a great deal. Anyone know if MS are really strict on activation for W7?
    Could I install it on my desktop and laptop without penalty?

Would like to know this too before I buy 2 copies....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

One PC per licence. So..

1. Install it on your desktop and activate it.
    2. Remove it from your desktop.
    3. Install it on your laptop.
    4. If it doesn't activate online on the laptop, activate by phone - make sure you tell them that you have it only on the one PC.

(Hopefully you won't forget to do step 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Just ordered myself - thanks OP!

Wonder when this will be shipped - at official Win7 release date I suppose.:p

Haven't tried any of the betas or release candidates; hope this is as good as advance word indicates!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just ordered it as well.

I assume I wont be charged until its shipped?

Now also available at ebuyer.com @ £44.99 + £7.23 shipping to Ireland.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Retail-Boxed-Software/subcat/Windows-7

*They also have the professional edition @ just £80.00.*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

benifa wrote: »

The big selling point of Professional over Home Premium is XP Mode- where you can run all your old apps natively from the desktop.......

It is worth shelling out the extra £35 for- honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One PC per licence. So..

1. Install it on your desktop and activate it.
    2. Remove it from your desktop.
    3. Install it on your laptop.
    4. If it doesn't activate online on the laptop, activate by phone - make sure you tell them that you have it only on the one PC.

(Hopefully you won't forget to do step 2).

Scratching my head here, trying to figure this out (maybe I'm missing something). If I remove it from my desktop, how do I use it?

Scratching my head here, trying to figure this out (maybe I'm missing something). If I remove it from my desktop, how do I use it?

Errr- buy a second copy- or use another operating system that you already have a licence for?

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    The big selling point of Professional over Home Premium is XP Mode- where you can run all your old apps natively from the desktop.......

It is worth shelling out the extra £35 for- honest!

I agree, £35 is nothing if it means old apps work properly, I'm just trying to think now what old apps I use. To be honest.. I can't think of any!

You can't, but you could if you forgot to uninstall it. Maybe we should leave it at that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My original question (on the last page) was if MS were strict regarding activation - could I have it running on my PC and Laptop simultaneously?

I'll buy 2 copies if I have to, but not unless I need to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My original question (on the last page) was if MS were strict regarding activation - could I have it running on my PC and Laptop simultaneously?

I'll buy 2 copies if I have to, but not unless I need to.

Its one copy per pc but you can get around it illegally is what people are saying

Unavailable at Amazon UK again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Rael

Unavailable at Amazon UK again :(

Can anyone recommend ebuyer as an alternative? Are they trustworthy & reliabel? I've never ordered from them before & would prefer to order from amazon if possible.

Rael wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend ebuyer as an alternative? Are they trustworthy & reliabel? I've never ordered from them before & would prefer to order from amazon if possible.

I bought a laptop off them about 4 months ago. No bother with them

• Advertisement

Ebuyer are ok. I've bought from them before. Goods came a day late but not the end of the world. Their prices are usually quite competitive - and they ship to Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep, ebuyer are legit. I have dealings with them in the past.

Ruu wrote: »
    Yep, ebuyer are legit. I have dealings with them in the past.

yet you make it sound so dodgy!

How much were people charged from Amazon?

I was charged:

£47.51 for Home Premium
    and
    £95.06 for Professional (+ shipping, +VAT)

Every time I look at the website it seems to have a different price up.......

? Am I imagining things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

amazon are required by law to charge 21.5% vat to irish buyers, the price on site is 15% vat

• Advertisement

I was charged:

£47.51 for Home Premium
    and

? Am I imagining things?

You get charged the lowest price that the displayed over the peroid before it ships

If price goes up you dont pay it. If price goes down you pay it. They have some price promise

Amazon have Premium available again.

£53.56 for premium (vat+delivery included)

amazon are required by law to charge 21.5% vat to irish buyers, the price on site is 15% vat

Even if you ship to england?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I was charged:

£47.51 for Home Premium
    and

? Am I imagining things?

Was charged £99 for professional (+shipping, + VAT) which is weird cos i'm shipping it to Germany so i should be charged less VAT than shipping to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Just ordered mine. Vat was £9.48 and Del was £4.98, total was £53.56.

PS* Are we really going to save £154.

Just got the email Mine was £44.97 and I am having it shipped to my mate in england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Thanks OP. Finally booked my order :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

just ordered a copy. Does anyone know if it comes straight off the credit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

It's only £89.99(€104.90) for the professional version and only £44.99(€52.45) for the home premium version you can pay for it in any store in northern ireland and collect it on the 22 october

i contacted them and the say its the full version and it overwrites the vista files on your computer

here is the website link

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/windows7-preorder

heffo500 wrote: »
    you can pay for it in any store in northern ireland and collect it on the 22 october

here is the website link

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/windows7-preorder

So do you have to visit a store in NI, pay for it there, then return to the same store on 22/10 to collect? This must be different from the web store, as it says on there "Not available to Collect@Store".

• Advertisement

So do you have to visit a store in NI, pay for it there, then return to the same store on 22/10 to collect? This must be different from the web store, as it says on there "Not available to Collect@Store".

Surely the hassle of 2 trips to NI isn't worth the couple of quid you'd save?

dubmick wrote: »
    just ordered a copy. Does anyone know if it comes straight off the credit card?

It will not come off until it is shipped.

Ruu wrote: »
    It will not come off until it is shipped.

Queue a startling credit card bill in November........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Here's hoping Sterling doesn't get stronger against the €uro for a while.

Here's hoping Sterling doesn't get stronger against the €uro for a while.

Bollox, I should have charged it against my sterling card...... :mad:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Was ordering the Pro version (simply for the XP mode, which I might never use but handy nonetheless). Including shipping and VAT, it came to £101.11 which is different ot the price somebody else mentioned above.

Anyway, using a Scottish delivery address for free postage, total of £89.97

Just wonder if it's worth the extra bucks for Pro...

As mentioned, hope the Stg doesn't get strong against the Euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Just got an email from Microsoft today mentioning a planned Windows 7 launch for IT Professionals - maybe it will be like the "Heroes" event where they gave out Windows Ultimate..? I'd hold onto your money for now and wait and see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

byte wrote: »
    Was ordering the Pro version (simply for the XP mode, which I might never use but handy nonetheless). Including shipping and VAT, it came to £101.11 which is different ot the price somebody else mentioned above.

Anyway, using a Scottish delivery address for free postage, total of £89.97

Just wonder if it's worth the extra bucks for Pro...

As mentioned, hope the Stg doesn't get strong against the Euro

Yeah i did the same, cancelled the home premium order for the pro. Twice the price...so i'm wondering if it's worth it, and also hoping the sterling doesn't get strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

homer911 wrote: »
    Just got an email from Microsoft today mentioning a planned Windows 7 launch for IT Professionals - maybe it will be like the "Heroes" event where they gave out Windows Ultimate..? I'd hold onto your money for now and wait and see...

And i think its planned for october so that would be before the launch if im not mistaken. Its unlikely that it would be given away free before the official launch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

For Pro and above for those that want xp mode, your intended W7 machine's cpu must support hardware virtualization

You can check if yours does here : http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

I'm going for the cheaper Home premium and free virtual pc (will be able to get rdp eventually with a hack)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

homer911 wrote: »

Great, but it may also cost you more if you wait. I think £53 for a retail version of Win 7 HP E is well worth the punt.

Great, but it may also cost you more if you wait. I think £53 for a retail version of Win 7 HP E is well worth the punt.

It is a very good price - I wonder what Microsoft's turnover would be if they offered their OS's at this price point for good?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I remember hearing before that they didn't really care with vista. So you should be ok.

gambiaman wrote: »
    It is a very good price - I wonder what Microsoft's turnover would be if they offered their OS's at this price point for good?

Its such a good price- to try to encourage people away from Vista- which has been a PR nightmare for Microsoft. Windows 7 is being pushed as what Vista should have been, or as Vista SP3 by IT fiends......

It does have wholly new functionality that is lacking in Vista, and is inherently more secure from the outset- but doubtless it'll be attacked as a dominant operating system is, by hackers before long........

If MS offer a good deal to people- along with an easy upgrade path (unlike the current proposal) they could potentially convert a sizeable portion of Vista sales from the last 3 years, to this new operating system. Given how appalling Vista was initially- its the least they can do....... Personally I don';t have a problem with Vista after installing Service Pack 2- I just wish this was what Microsoft had originally shipped........

Its such a good price- to try to encourage people away from Vista- which has been a PR nightmare for Microsoft. Windows 7 is being pushed as what Vista should have been, or as Vista SP3 by IT fiends......

It does have wholly new functionality that is lacking in Vista, and is inherently more secure from the outset- but doubtless it'll be attacked as a dominant operating system is, by hackers before long........

If MS offer a good deal to people- along with an easy upgrade path (unlike the current proposal) they could potentially convert a sizeable portion of Vista sales from the last 3 years, to this new operating system. Given how appalling Vista was initially- its the least they can do....... Personally I don';t have a problem with Vista after installing Service Pack 2- I just wish this was what Microsoft had originally shipped........

I've been using the beta then RC since January and it is *really* good.
    Vista was terrible when released, SP1 solved a lot of the crap and SP2 is pretty good but straight OOB, win7 has been extremely smooth and a pleasure to use.

They really should extend this offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

...and the Pro version goes out of stock while I read this thread, trying to decide if it's worth it or not :-) D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

davenewt wrote: »
    ...and the Pro version goes out of stock while I read this thread, trying to decide if it's worth it or not :-) D'oh!

Yeah, was humming and hawing all day yesterday. Finally decided to buy the home premium on the way home. Got home, fired up the computer........and it was gone! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I cancelled the Home Premium I ordered yesterday and nabbed Professional today. As its not an OEM I think £100 is good value for an OS I'll be using for the next 6-7 years.
    Keep hitting the F5 as Amazon release a few every 30 minutes or so.

Ebuyer.com prices have gone up to £50.00 for Home Premium, £89.99 for Professional. None in stock of either, mind.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Software/cat/Retail-Boxed-Software/subcat/Windows-7

I cancelled the Home Premium I ordered yesterday and nabbed Professional today. As its not an OEM I think £100 is good value for an OS I'll be using for the next 6-7 years.

I've decided that, for me, it's not worth paying double the price to get Professional rather than Home Premium, just for one extra feature - Windows XP Mode (which you have to download separately anyway):
    The new Windows XP Mode lets you run older Windows XP business software right on your Windows 7 desktop.

The feature, designed primarily with small- and medium-sized businesses in mind, comes as a separate download and works only with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. Windows XP Mode also requires virtualization software such as Windows Virtual PC. Both are available free on the Microsoft website.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare-editions

Apart from that, the two versions are identical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement