Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 Home Premium E *Preorder*[£53.56(VAT+deliver incl.)@Amazon]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

benifa wrote: »
    I've decided that, for me, it's not worth paying double the price to get Professional rather than Home Premium, just for one extra feature - Windows XP Mode (which you have to download separately anyway):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare-editions

Apart from that, the two versions are identical.

The reason I want Professional is so I can remote desktop "in" to it from Home Server 2008. Its a big Neddy-no-no with Home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Home Premium available again on Amazon UK, but the price has jumped to £74.97. :eek:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002DUCMT2/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Still available at PC World @ £44.99, but remember they only ship to a UK address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Pro is now 179.97. Ouch!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The reason I want Professional is so I can remote desktop "in" to it from Home Server 2008. Its a big Neddy-no-no with Home.

Plenty of free VNC apps around that can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Jaysus, glad I got in there to buy two copies before it went up!

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Grrr... is this actually available to preorder officially in Ireland yet? rather than through UK channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Going to mark this expired, the price for the original post for Premium is £74.97(not incl. VAT+delivery).

center15 wrote: »
    Grrr... is this actually available to preorder officially in Ireland yet? rather than through UK channels.

France, Germany and the UK were the only European states to be given the pre-order prices, afaik. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

According to the September issue of PC Pro Magazine- special E prices will be available until the end of 2009- but the expectation is that sales will be very low, and few people will upgrade from Vista (particularly given the clean install that the E installation demands)......

Hmm- whats the September issue of PC Pro doing out now? Another story I guess.

France, Germany and the UK were the only European states to be given the pre-order prices, afaik. :(

I was checking out amazon.de and some other german sites for this and couldn't find it anywhere for the discounted price. Only got full price http://www.amazon.de/Windows-Professional-32-Bit-deutsch/dp/B002GHBUX6/ref=sr_tr_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1247752417&sr=8-2 €309.99

BBC reporting that in there were more Windows 7 pre-orders in 8 hours than in 17 weeks of Vista pre-ordering :) how many of those are boardsies.

• Advertisement

I was checking out amazon.de and some other german sites for this and couldn't find it anywhere for the discounted price. Only got full price http://www.amazon.de/Windows-Professional-32-Bit-deutsch/dp/B002GHBUX6/ref=sr_tr_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1247752417&sr=8-2 €309.99

http://www.amazon.de/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000320943
    Wichtiger Hinweis: die uns von Microsoft zur Verfügung gestellte Menge an Windows 7 Home Premium zum Vorbestellpreis von 49,97 EUR ist leider bereits ausverkauft.

Google translate
    :
    Important note: to us by Microsoft made available to the amount of Windows 7 Home Premium for Vorbestellpreis of 49.97 EUR is unfortunately already sold out.

:(

BBC reporting that in there were more Windows 7 pre-orders in 8 hours than in 17 weeks of Vista pre-ordering :) how many of those are boardsies.

Re: Amazon Germany- they are doing things a little differently. Its buy an OEM copy of Vista and get a free upgrade to Windows 7

Example:
    Vista Ultimate with an Windows 7 Ultimate cert for €188.94 here
    Vista Premium with a Windows 7 Professional cert for €111.64 here

Upgrades are by download from a dedicated website and valid until 31.01.10

cheers for that smccarrick.

Looks like there was a limited pre-order release on Amazon.de (non-vista upgrade) and it sold out in less than half an hour http://www.i4u.com/article25864.html

smccarrick wrote: »
    Re: Amazon Germany- they are doing things a little differently. Its buy an OEM copy of Vista and get a free upgrade to Windows 7

Example:
    Vista Ultimate with an Windows 7 Ultimate cert for €188.94 here
    Vista Premium with a Windows 7 Professional cert for €111.64 here

Upgrades are by download from a dedicated website and valid until 31.01.10

That's not quite right, smccarrick. They did have Home Premium @ €49.97, but they sold out.
    Looks like there was a limited pre-order release on Amazon.de (non-vista upgrade) and it sold out in less than half an hour http://www.i4u.com/article25864.html

That's it, savemejebus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭ffocused

Amazon.co.uk are selling Win7 HP for £75 now. I just ordered 2:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Can't believe I actually got in first(kinda) on a good deal, I suppose there is a first time for everything.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I'm running full blown win7 on a netbook, is faster than the other OS's I tried:

TinyXP
    Win ME
    Ubuntu netbook edition
    That one that intel did that was fast but pants to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

anyone who thinks this will flop like vista is gonna be mistaken...

the only reason people didn't upgrade to vista sp2 was because they knew 7 was on the way.

windows 7 will probably start to see the switch from 32bit to 64bit for most home PC's and businesses....

typical laptops and desktops are now coming with 3 gigs RAM (minimum) installed and over the next few years (under windows 7's reign) no doubt 4, even 8 will become the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Aww, was way too tired yesterday to decide which version of Windows 7 to purchase.

I might as well be first in this thread to beg express an interested in any spare copy a boardsie may bought at the original price... providing it's kosher to do so, of course.

I'd happily take either Home Premium or Professional. :)

Home Premium available again on Amazon UK, but the price has jumped to £74.97. :eek:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002DUCMT2/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Still available at PC World @ £44.99, but remember they only ship to a UK address.
    Pro is now 179.97. Ouch!

As much as these prices are massive jumps from yesterday's £45 / £80..

MS's online store are now selling them at £79.99 / £189.99. :eek:

Niska wrote: »
    Anvika may ship to Ireland, and have it in stock (never used 'em):

http://www.anvika.com/windows7preorder/

I ordered from Anvika yesterday. I just received this email from them:
    Hello,

Due to stock allocations, this item is not available for international
    delivery.

Sorry, for trouble.

Thank you,

Rajan Patel - Manager, Mail Order Dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Going on past experiences, there should be a hack to enable remote-in on Home premium.
    I've been using it to do exactly what you want (from WHS to HP) on Vista for ages.
    To me the xtra 35 stg is not worth it.

depends if you feel comfortable with an RDP hack though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I decided to bang off an email to Paul Rellis MD of Microsoft Ireland to complain about the lack of a discounted price for Irish customers. Cant harm
    anyways http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/about_sl/default.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

From here
    The offer runs from July 15th 2009 until August 9th 2009

A day and a half and its gone:( Very very limited stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

center15 wrote: »
    I decided to bang off an email to Paul Rellis MD of Microsoft Ireland to complain about the lack of a discounted price for Irish customers. Cant harm
    anyways http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/about_sl/default.htm

That's worth a punt, I've never even seen a Technet promo code that an Irish resident can use - everywhere else gets bombarded with them.

EDIT: He's out of office ... till November 2nd!

logic wrote: »
    From here

A day and a half and its gone:( Very very limited stock

The BBC report presales of Windows 7 hitting the presale levels for Vista @ 7 weeks, within 6 hours...... ?

Perhaps it was more a case of massively underestimating the number of IT literate people desperate to see the back of Vista? I even considered buying a crap desktop- purely to get hold of the Windows 7 voucher- but I really couldn't bring myself into buying a piece of junk.......

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sweet, just ordered the Home Premium version too, along with the Pro version from Amazon yesterday.

Dunno if I should cancel my Pro order on Amazon or keep it... plenty of time to make up my mind I guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

You can also order Vista upgrade versions from now and get a free upgrade to windows 7, currently that costs £61, and you may be able to ebay the vista upgrade package to recover some of the cost. Look at the Windows 7 FAQ on amazon for more info.

• Advertisement
    byte

byte wrote: »
    Sweet, just ordered the Home Premium version too, along with the Pro version from Amazon yesterday.

Dunno if I should cancel my Pro order on Amazon or keep it... plenty of time to make up my mind I guess :)
    My Comet order isn't going too well, probably coz of Irish billing address.
    Comet wrote:
    Your order has been passed to our Administration Team for completion because we were unable to process your payment with the details you have provided.

As part of our security measures we will undertake a number of checks and will contact your either by telephone or by email within 48 hours and:

* If your order has been accepted, discuss a suitable delivery time and date
    * If your order has not been accepted, the reason why it could not be completed and what to do next.

Shipping address is Scotland, and I even had to endure using MC SecureCode during the order process.

Ultimate now available at Amazon UK for £189.97.

Shipping address is Scotland, and I even had to endure using MC SecureCode during the order process.

PC World is still £44.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Same here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Order cancelled :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

PC World is still £44.99.

From PC World website:

"Please note that we can only accept UK registered cards."

byte

darraghn wrote: »
    Order cancelled :mad:
    Ditto :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Tesco Direct have Microsoft Windows 7 E Home Premium (Full Version) £44.97 not sure if you can order this from Ireland, but anyone with a British address(family/friends?) may be able to get it
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-3928.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Is windows 7 ,effecient enough to run a pc on solar power ?

yoshytoshy wrote: »

The operating system itself is immaterial- it depends on the power draw of the computer- which is processor and its other components. Potentially you can run any computer from solar power- a more powerful computer would simply need additional cells.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

wtf?

ok a bit late to the party here. Is there anywhere i can order this for around the £50 mark to Ireland or have i missed the boat? MS have this offer open until early August right? So its just a stock issue?

The operating system itself is immaterial- it depends on the power draw of the computer- which is processor and its other components. Potentially you can run any computer from solar power- a more powerful computer would simply need additional cells.......

I was working along the needs of the core needs of windows 7.
    If it runs on an old pentium 3 ,no problem. It might work on a modern chip on very low voltage.
    Along with a pure solid state hard drive ,you could plug it into a tv and away you go.

It's doesn't have to be all about the software:o

quarryman wrote: »
    wtf?

ok a bit late to the party here. Is there anywhere i can order this for around the £50 mark to Ireland or have i missed the boat? MS have this offer open until early August right? So its just a stock issue?

Its not simply a stock issue. Presales of Windows 7 matched 7 weeks of Vista sales- within 6 hours of going onsale. I guess Microsoft never intended the world and its dog to bite their hand off when they actually managed to ship a semi-usable operating system- goes to show how many dissatisfied Vista customers there are out there- or XP customers who didn't upgrade because it would break their software (mostly corporate). Corporate pre-sales targets are already where they thought they'd be for Q2 2010 (according to the UK Factory).

There should be OEM copies floating around within a few weeks.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Its not simply a stock issue. Presales of Windows 7 matched 7 weeks of Vista sales- within 6 hours of going onsale. I guess Microsoft never intended the world and its dog to bite their hand off when they actually managed to ship a semi-usable operating system- goes to show how many dissatisfied Vista customers there are out there- or XP customers who didn't upgrade because it would break their software (mostly corporate). Corporate pre-sales targets are already where they thought they'd be for Q2 2010 (according to the UK Factory).

There should be OEM copies floating around within a few weeks.......

i just think MS got it right with the Beta and RC1 release. Many people (myself included) appreciated its quality and are now willing to shell out for something they know is good.

I have it on 3 computers at home here and am counting down the days until its starts shutting down.

I was working along the needs of the core needs of windows 7.
    If it runs on an old pentium 3 ,no problem. It might work on a modern chip on very low voltage.
    Along with a pure solid state hard drive ,you could plug it into a tv and away you go.

It's doesn't have to be all about the software:o

Minimum specs are:

* 1 GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
    * 1 GB of RAM (32-bit); 2 GB of RAM (64-bit)
    * 16 GB of available disk space (32-bit); 20 GB of available disk space (64-bit)
    * DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

These are *minimum* specs- and are similar to Vista minimum specs

Recommended specs are:

2 GHz processor or 1.6Ghz dual core processor
    2Gb RAM 32bit, 4Gb 64bit
    30Gb HDD
    Dx10 compatible graphics card with minimum 128Mb dedicated memory

(which to be honest are very reasonable- when you consider Vista would balk at this........)

Minimum specs are:

* 1 GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
    * 1 GB of RAM (32-bit); 2 GB of RAM (64-bit)
    * 16 GB of available disk space (32-bit); 20 GB of available disk space (64-bit)
    * DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

These are *minimum* specs- and are similar to Vista minimum specs

Recommended specs are:

2 GHz processor or 1.6Ghz dual core processor
    2Gb RAM 32bit, 4Gb 64bit
    30Gb HDD
    Dx10 compatible graphics card with minimum 128Mb dedicated memory

(which to be honest are very reasonable- when you consider Vista would balk at this........)

Wishful thinking on my part ,but it would be nice to have a energy mode of pc's ,where you dictate the operations of the session and cut off power hungry programs on boot up.

quarryman wrote: »
    i just think MS got it right with the Beta and RC1 release. Many people (myself included) appreciated its quality and are now willing to shell out for something they know is good.

I have it on 3 computers at home here and am counting down the days until its starts shutting down.

I've got it on 2 systems here too- dual booting Ubuntu with Grub.
    Its a breath of fresh air in comparison to Vista- many of the stupid annoyances have been addressed, and its stable out of the box.

Microsoft bolloxed up Vista- getting what is essentially Vista SP3 for £50 is annoying- but far better than £200........

S.

Wishful thinking on my part ,but it would be nice to have a energy mode of pc's ,where you dictate the operations of the session and cut off power hungry programs on boot up.

The two components whose power draw differs depending on what you're running are your CPU and your graphics card. Everything else is pretty stable. Getting an efficient power supply (aka one with over 85% efficiency) is far more likely to be useful to you- than playing with your start-up folder.

You will get it to run on an ULPC processor- I've got the beta running quite happily on an Atom N270 (albeit an ion chipset- its one of the Acer Revo360s).

Its a lot less demanding than Vista- you will get it running quite happily on some older hardware (some features may be disabled, if your hardware is insufficient).

I wouldn't say 'never' to anything. If you have a system you'd like to run it on- whack the beta on- and see how it runs. Alternatively whack Vista HP on it- and see what the Windows Experience score is. Anything above a 3 should be fine for Windows 7.........

Cheers for that ,it's a myth of mine that the world might aim for solar powered pc's.

All we'd need after that is some low-low voltage monitors for african countries :eek::)

• Advertisement

Cheers for that ,it's a myth of mine that the world might aim for solar powered pc's.

All we'd need after that is some low-low voltage monitors for african countries :eek::)

Some of those OLEDs look good- if they can ever get the prices down enough.....

Advertisement