Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 Home Premium E *Preorder*[£53.56(VAT+deliver incl.)@Amazon]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

pauleoin wrote: »
    Tesco Direct have Microsoft Windows 7 E Home Premium (Full Version) £44.97 not sure if you can order this from Ireland, but anyone with a British address(family/friends?) may be able to get it
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-3928.aspx
    In the Tesco Direct Terms & Conditions it says:
    Tesco wrote:
    Please note we only deliver to addresses within England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    But it says the same thing in Tesco Entertainment Terms & Conditions, and I think people on boards have used them before. Might be worth a shot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its not simply a stock issue. Presales of Windows 7 matched 7 weeks of Vista sales- within 6 hours of going onsale. I guess Microsoft never intended the world and its dog to bite their hand off when they actually managed to ship a semi-usable operating system- goes to show how many dissatisfied Vista customers there are out there- or XP customers who didn't upgrade because it would break their software (mostly corporate). Corporate pre-sales targets are already where they thought they'd be for Q2 2010 (according to the UK Factory).

There should be OEM copies floating around within a few weeks.......

I think it has to do with the price more than anything. How much was vista home premium when it was released? £200? It's easier to justify spending £50 than £200. And vista isn't that bad an os. On a pc that has the specifications to run it it's grand, well once you turn off uac. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

pauleoin wrote: »
    Tesco Direct have Microsoft Windows 7 E Home Premium (Full Version) £44.97 not sure if you can order this from Ireland, but anyone with a British address(family/friends?) may be able to get it
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-3928.aspx

Good find! Also, possible 3% cashback via Quidco. Shame Tesco charge £5 for delivery though. :(

..and only to UK addresses at that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Sent an email to Microsoft Customer Support got the worst generic reply back.
    Thank you for contacting us about Microsoft? Windows? 7.

Please contact the retailers offering the special offer to see if the offer applies to Ireland as well. There are a number of retailers that are offering Windows 7 at a discount price. I will give you a link to these retailers at the end of this email.

The preorder offer is for Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional, it started on the 15 July and runs up to the 9 August.

The other offer that is currently being promoted is customers who purchase qualifying retail versions of Windows Vista or who purchase PCs with qualifying editions of Windows Vista from the 26 June 2009 will receive an upgrade to Windows 7 when it becomes available.

Please find below the link for retailers offering Windows 7, the Microsoft store and a link for the upgrade options on a new PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/Microsoft/Windows/Windows-7

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx

If you have any more questions please give me a call on 0870 60 10 100 (Option 3 and then option 3 again for the licensing team). We are open Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm. Of course if you prefer, please send me an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ilap7

benifa wrote: »
    Now also available at ebuyer.com @ £44.99 + £7.23 shipping to Ireland.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Retail-Boxed-Software/subcat/Windows-7

*They also have the professional edition @ just £80.00.*

Yes, they have quiet low price, but I tried to register in ebuyer.com as a new customer and I couldn't do it with Irish telephone number so I had to gave British prefix. :( I'am not really sure do they deliver to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ilap7 wrote: »
    Yes, they have quiet low price, but I tried to register in ebuyer.com as a new customer and I couldn't do it with Irish telephone number so I had to gave British prefix. :( I'am not really sure do they deliver to Ireland.

They definitely do deliver to ireland. You have to pay using google checkout though.

Ilap7 wrote: »
    I'am not really sure do they deliver to Ireland.

They definitely do, yes. You can also use Google Checkout.

Snap!
    You have to pay using google checkout though.

Actually you can use Google Checkout or Ebuyer's own checkout. Either or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Deadly. I've got home premium preordered with ebuyer and pro with amazon. Not too sure which i'll end up cancelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Argh, I need a "valid phone number" to buy from Ebuyer. What do I do?

Have tried both my landline and mobile but keeps telling me it's invalid. Wanna grab a copy while the price is right. Help please.

• Advertisement

Have you tried removing the 0 and adding +353

Have you tried removing the 0 and adding +353

Yeah, tried that. Thinking about putting in a fake UK number to see if that will work....

Has no issues ordering with ebuyer using google checkout with an Irish landline number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What is the full price on this expected to be?

center15 wrote: »
    Has no issues ordering with ebuyer using google checkout with an Irish landline number.

Thanks, finally got the order through. It was my first time using Ebuyer so I had a heap of trouble when it came to, both, registration and payment.

There was no way for me to use an Irish phone number, so had to fabricate a UK one to use for registration. Then I couldn't get the items shipped outside the UK using their checkout. Then, their checkout kept telling me the (credit) card-holder's name was invalid. :eek: :confused:

Thankfully Google checkout seems to have sorted out Ebuyers customer stress trap (checkout system)... fingers crossed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

benifa wrote: »
    Snap!

Actually you can use Google Checkout or Ebuyer's own checkout. Either or.

I tried using their own checkout and filled in my address but it still sayes United Kingdom at the bottom - any way to chnage that bit? Maybe I'm missing something obvious? thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Thanks benifa! :)

I just ordered Windows 7 on eBuyer (£50 + £7 P&P). I used Google Checkout, which was very quick and easy to use.

At time of writing, there's only 17 copies of Home Premium left.

"Premium, dude!"

premium.jpg

bindybandy wrote: »
    I tried using their own checkout and filled in my address but it still sayes United Kingdom at the bottom - any way to chnage that bit? Maybe I'm missing something obvious? thx

Try using Google Checkout instead - worked for me.

Either that or you could try using the post code "REP 123" before clicking "auto complete" and see if it changes the country. Probably a long shot, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Did anyone else get an 'out-of-stock' reply when buying Windows 7 Home Premium on Ebuyer? They said they had 400 copies in stock 2 days ago when I bought, so I ordered one via Google Checkout, no problem. I later checked my email to find the 'Out-of-Stock' reply. I would find it hard to see the likes of Ebuyer having so many still available when everywhere else sold out within hours. Anyone get confirmation of their order being successfully processed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So just to confirm. Are you saying this is a brand new full version retail edition of Windows 7? It doesn't require any previous OS? It doesn't require any hardware purchase? It will be delivered to me shortly after release date?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168373

Am I right ? All for £57.23?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just ordered through Google Checkout - nice and quick. 10 in stock before I ordered........and still 10 after! Hmmmmm.....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Seem to be all gone now. Gone from Tesco Direct too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

center15 wrote: »
    Sent an email to Microsoft Customer Support got the worst generic reply back.

I got a surprisingly positive and understanding reply from Paul Relis, MD of Microsoft Ireland, I was genuinely surprised at the tenor of the e-mail. A big difference from the standard trite reply one often gets from big companies like MS. My complaint was really regarding the fact that this offer was not available to a wider customer base, ie: us here in Ireland.

The Reply from Paul Relis:

"Hi Gerry thanks for your mail. I apologize for this situation and for the frustration it is causing you. I know globally we have always done this (thats no excuse at all). I will be following this up within the company, and will come back to you
    Thanks again for your email and i hope despite this situation we can retain you as a loyal and passionate customer!
    Best regards
    Paul"

Weather anything comes of it or not I'll wait and see.

bindybandy wrote: »

I'm not sure mate, I always use Ebuyer's own checkout myself, but I know Google Checkout will work too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Random wrote: »
    So just to confirm. Are you saying this is a brand new full version retail edition of Windows 7? It doesn't require any previous OS? It doesn't require any hardware purchase? It will be delivered to me shortly after release date?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168373

Am I right ? All for £57.23?

Yes.
    Something to keep in mind- not only does it not require any previous OS- it will actively wipe any trace of any previous OS....... Its not like installing Windows over the top..... Make sure you do backups!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Ordered through e-buyer yesterday for £50 plus delivery. It's now gone up to £70.

Had the same hassle as other people I ended up ringing them and placed an order then got an email to say that they could not complete the order as they could not verify the card address as it was not a UK one.

Signed up for google checkout and all seems to be ok now I hope lol.

pauly3 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get an 'out-of-stock' reply when buying Windows 7 Home Premium on Ebuyer? They said they had 400 copies in stock 2 days ago when I bought, so I ordered one via Google Checkout, no problem. I later checked my email to find the 'Out-of-Stock' reply. I would find it hard to see the likes of Ebuyer having so many still available when everywhere else sold out within hours. Anyone get confirmation of their order being successfully processed?

No, I didn't get an "out of stock" message via Email. However, when I go "My Orders" on the Ebuyer site, there is an "Order Note" stating:
    Unfortunately the above item is currently out of stock.

Please note; the product is out of stock at the time of this email. If your order status is showing that payment has been taken it means this matter has been sorted. In this instance, you will receive your order as planned and you can ignore this message. If you have pre-ordered the item, please ignore this message.

If you wish, you can amend your order and choose an alternative product. To change your order, please log on to www.ebuyer.com. We will hold your items for48 hours.

All our orders will only be shipped when all items are in stock and have cleared the relevant dispatch checks.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Ebuyer Customer Support
    www.ebuyer.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I got the same message in my eBuyer inbox as Fnz saying that you can ignore this message, so I'm happy :) (Btw, I used Google Checkout too. The main phone number for registering with eBuyer must be 11 digits. The contact phone number need not be).

I'm curious to know how much Windows 7 will cost here, when it is finally available through Irish retailers!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

byrnefm wrote: »
    I got the same message in my eBuyer inbox as Fnz saying that you can ignore this message, so I'm happy :) (Btw, I used Google Checkout too. The main phone number for registering with eBuyer must be 11 digits. The contact phone number need not be).

I'm curious to know how much Windows 7 will cost here, when it is finally available through Irish retailers!

Tesco will probably stock it (they have Vista) which will probably establish a retail price (other than the totally unreasonable prices that others would likely demand).

• Advertisement

Regarding out-of-stock notice from Ebuyer for Windows 7 Home Premium, there is a thread here: http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=47970 , basically advising to ignore the notice as Ebuyer will honour whatever price you ordered at. I used Google Checkout to purchase at £50.00 and my credit card was charged €67.33 yesterday (£50.00 + £7.23 S&H @ 0.8500). Naughty of Google Checkout to charge me now for a product not available until October 22! Anyway, it is still available on Ebuyer at the higher price of £69.98 and at Amazon.co.uk for £69.99. Still good value for what is a full retail Operating System with 2 discs (32-bit and 64 bit), especially considering it is probably the finest OS Microsoft has put out to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Windows 7 pro is only 10 sterling more now, so I went for that. Was thinking of getting it anyway because XP virtualization seems cool.

Naughty of Google Checkout to charge me now for a product not available until October 22!

At least that means you shouldn't have to worry about exchange rate fluctuations between now and the release date.

Good point, unless Sterling devalues against the Euro, like in December!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I used Google Checkout to purchase at £50.00 and my credit card was charged €67.33 yesterday (£50.00 + £7.23 S&H @ 0.8500). Naughty of Google Checkout to charge me now for a product not available until October 22!

How many days did it take before your card was charged? I placed my order on Monday night so I'm keeping an eye on my statement online.

I noticed on my accounts, under the tab "Order Progress" on eBuyer that my order is in the state of "Order Taken" (with Order Building and Payment Taken being subsequent states). Is this the same for others who have pre-ordered Windows 7?

My card was charged 2 days after I ordered. I think this is because I ordered via Google Checkout (I haven't used GC before), if you paid directly via credit card they don't charge until the order ships. I tried direct checkout first, but couldn't enter an Irish address. I didn't try PayPal, but I would imagine it is similar to GC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I can't see Euro/Sterling changing enough to be upsetting before it ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I just ordered Windows 7 Pro from ebuyer;
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168375

total cost - €115 incl shipping via Google Checkout.

I was on the fence to long, so I finally decided to buy it.
    But, I was just wondering, Windows 7 Pro doesn't have the 'E' symbol after it like Home Premium, is that anything to worry about?
    I'm guessing it's probably ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Moon54 wrote: »
    I just ordered Windows 7 Pro from ebuyer;
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168375

total cost - €115 incl shipping via Google Checkout.

I was on the fence to long, so I finally decided to buy it.
    But, I was just wondering, Windows 7 Pro doesn't have the 'E' symbol after it like Home Premium, is that anything to worry about?
    I'm guessing it's probably ok.

If its sold in europe it has to be the full version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

kearnsr wrote: »

Cool, I thought as much, thx Kearnsr :)

It's the opposite. If it's sold in europe it has to be the E version. The only difference is the lack of a browser which isn't that big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's the opposite. If it's sold in europe it has to be the E version. The only difference is the lack of a browser which isn't that big a deal.

full version as in its not an upgrade

full version as in its not an upgrade

I think you can still get an upgrade copy in europe but you won't be able to upgrade you have to do a fresh install. You still need a valid key from xp or vista to activate it. Not too sure though.

News out today that IE will actually now be included
    Microsoft has relented and will now offer consumers a "ballot screen" on first boot, allowing purchasers to make their own (we're hoping informed) decision about which window into the web they'll be looking through. Additionally, while Windows 7 will still include an install of IE, users will have the option to disable it, and computer-makers will also be allowed to pre-load any browser they see fit for their systems.
    Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I got a surprisingly positive and understanding reply from Paul Relis, MD of Microsoft Ireland, I was genuinely surprised at the tenor of the e-mail. A big difference from the standard trite reply one often gets from big companies like MS. My complaint was really regarding the fact that this offer was not available to a wider customer base, ie: us here in Ireland.

The Reply from Paul Relis:

"Hi Gerry thanks for your mail. I apologize for this situation and for the frustration it is causing you. I know globally we have always done this (thats no excuse at all). I will be following this up within the company, and will come back to you
    Thanks again for your email and i hope despite this situation we can retain you as a loyal and passionate customer!
    Best regards
    Paul"

Weather anything comes of it or not I'll wait and see.

Just an update guys. Having sent Paul Relis an e-mail back in July I heard nothing untill last Friday when I got an e-mail from MS looking for my address. Then this morning in my mail I get a new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, not bad eh. Fair play to you Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just an update guys. Having sent Paul Relis an e-mail back in July I heard nothing untill last Friday when I got an e-mail from MS looking for my address. Then this morning in my mail I get a new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, not bad eh. Fair play to you Paul.

That's great. Glad to hear that you got something productive out of it.

Although it still fails to answer the original point in the email you sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Now that Amazon has introduced Super Saver (free) shipping to Ireland, I wonder will they apply the delivery charge (£4.98 for me) when they ship these later this month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

unless you log in and change your shipping option to "free supersaver" you will pay the 4.98 charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

unless you log in and change your shipping option to "free supersaver" you will pay the 4.98 charge.

Good tip, just did and saved £4.98, happy days.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Saved myself 5 GBP too, W7 for 47 GBP... sweet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement