Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled Persons Grant - where to start?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi. My Dad is in hospital at the moment. Due to compilcations with diabetes, he has had one leg amputated and looks like the other will have to go too. He lives with my mother in an old farmhouse with different level floors, no downstairs bedroom and a downstairs bathroom that is not suitable. We need to get the house modified for him. Can anyone tell me where I might get information on if he would be eligible for the disabled persons grant, how much of the costs would it cover, and how long would the application process take?
    Thank you in advance for your help. JD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

A quick search on the citizen's info website found this. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Thanks. Did that and then rang the local TD's constituency office. Very helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 The Lizard

if your in dublin i know that dublin city council have stopped taking applications for grants!no funding!they are also now called housing adaptation grants!
    can be a pretty lengthy process can take up to a year for approval.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I was going to suggest applying to your local Council until I saw Lizards post. This seems to be the case with most local authorities. According to the regulations they are supposed to get 80% funding from DOE and provide the remaining 20%. Now they are all saying they have no funds. Beats me how they can get away with that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have being going down that road, first you need two quotes, then you need the guys who quoted you to fill out a tax cert, to get the two quotes you need to approach twenty builders, then you may get two quotes, now to get the tax certs, oh forget it, just go to the credit union and get a loan, then get quotes for cash in hand, easier more cheerful etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

jesus christ... i was about to post a similiar request for infor as my grandad in law has very limited mobility and recentlyhas sucumbed to his inability to get in and out of the bath and asked me about getting a shower built in his house. it all seems like way to much time consuming hassle... not sure what im gonna do, prob have to get a loan and get the work done ourselves... disgraceful imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the only other option is to have a occupational therapist to visit the house, they may have some say in what to get done and how to. BUT there is a waiting list for that then you have the waiting list afterwards.

Advertisement