Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 (E) available now for preorder on Amazon UK

• 15-07-2009 7:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

£45 not including postage, good deal IMO. Release is 22nd of October but you knew that already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

ordered 3, thanks

thread should be moved to bargains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

So what do ye think, is Pro worth the extra £45 or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Not for my money, the virtual XP ability is the only thing about pro that interests me.

I like the domain stuff and remote desktop but am not sure if i 'need' them, although i do hate going near xp home now that i've been using pro for so long, so i might just splurge for comfort :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The "fresh install" is a bit of a concern, since so many apps I have were downloads (ok I can download them again, since I do have keys/serials), but it's just the hassle.

Then, there is always the wait to see if the current firewall/anti-virus, etc is supported in Windows 7.

Mind you, I think it does look good, and all the reviews seem very positive.

The temptation is there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Anyone got a link to this? Cheapest I can see is £75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

unklerosco wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to this? Cheapest I can see is £75
    Looks like its gone up to £75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

wtf @ price increase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Stephen wrote: »
    wtf @ price increase?

Thats what I thought, I only read an article on the BBC yesterday about the sales of windows 7. They quoted the price @ £49

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Windows 7 pre-order is advertised on the home page of Microsoft's British website starting at GBP 49.99 (depending on version).

http://www.microsoft.com/en/gb/

It is also available on their French website from EUR 49,99
    http://www.microsoft.com/fr/fr/default.aspx

No mention of it in their rip-off-ireland website.....

www.microsoft.ie

Time Ireland woke up and moved to Linux, or Apple (Unix).

Microsoft is making a fool of Ireland, especially in the public sector. Intelligently run countries have moved to free open source software instead of Windows. Google runs on Linux, as do most web based businesses on the planet.

If Google used Windows, Microsoft would OWN Google.

Download the free Windows 7 RC version now, and try it out until you get bored with it, or until it expires next year if you have the patience.

Get it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx?ITPID=wcfeed if you don't already use it.

When done try one of the many free forever Linux distros:

eg: http://www.fedoraproject.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You know we have a unix forum, right?

They said the low price was "while stocks last", does this mean stock has lasted but two days? Bit of a pain, I'm glad I signed up for notification! Sorry guys :(

supposedly they sold more pre-orders of windows 7 in 8 hours than vista preorders in 17 weeks. All of the preorders for Amazon.de sold out in 30 mins (and they only had home premium).
    I bet redmond are smiling today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Maybe a stupid question but whats the difference between E and N?

alexmcred wrote: »
    E stands for suck-my-balls-European-commision.

In response to their ongoing anti-trust case, they are releasing Win 7 in europe without Internet explorer. It means you need to a clean install and can't simply upgrade from Vista, an inconvenience.

I'm coming direct from XP so I would have needed a clean install anyway.

probe wrote: »
    Windows 7 pre-order is advertised on the home page of Microsoft's British website starting at GBP 49.99 (depending on version).

http://www.microsoft.com/en/gb/

It is also available on their French website from EUR 49,99
    http://www.microsoft.com/fr/fr/default.aspx

No mention of it in their rip-off-ireland website.....

www.microsoft.ie

Time Ireland woke up and moved to Linux, or Apple (Unix).

Microsoft is making a fool of Ireland, especially in the public sector. Intelligently run countries have moved to free open source software instead of Windows. Google runs on Linux, as do most web based businesses on the planet.

If Google used Windows, Microsoft would OWN Google.

Download the free Windows 7 RC version now, and try it out until you get bored with it, or until it expires next year if you have the patience.

Get it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx?ITPID=wcfeed if you don't already use it.

When done try one of the many free forever Linux distros:

eg: http://www.fedoraproject.org

You are the kind of person that puts people off Linux.
    Seriously, Microsoft would own google, wtf
    Microsoft is making a fool of Ireland, explain that to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Microsoft has a huge amount of investment in Ireland, directly employing about 2000 people and indirectly many more. Ireland also makes a huge amount of tax take by the fact that Microsoft bases it's European operations in Ireland.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    You are the kind of person that puts people off Linux.

Why? I gave you a link to try Windows 7 free until next March, and a link to try Linux whenever you like. Experience both. Make up your own mind. Enjoy. Or ignore. As you wish.
    Seriously, Microsoft would own google, wtf
    Have you ever purchased Windows for a business? Each seat (ie user) costs a Windows license fee. Each server an even bigger license fee. Google has more servers than anyone else in the world. If they ran on Windows it would be a massive bill to pay Microsoft. Unlikely that google as a start-up business could afford the Windows operating system licenses in its early days, taking into consideration the large number of servers required to provide a search engine service.
    Microsoft is making a fool of Ireland, explain that to me?
    Microsoft's pre-release upgrade pricing seems to be available in most other European countries - except for Ireland. Microsoft is benefiting handsomely from Ireland - as are many other companies, including Ryanair who is running a Europe-wide airline from a low tax base location with access to 400 odd million consumers. Microsoft is for the most part employing intelligent people, most of whom wouldn't have any problem finding a job elsewhere or a certain percentage of whom would be capable of setting up their own businesses.

Ireland's over-dependence on non-Irish multi-nationals in the long term is a negative. Ireland should not allow itself to be a "slave" to Microsoft - because the net real benefits Microsoft is getting out of Ireland are far higher than the net real benefits Ireland is getting out of Microsoft.

Why? I gave you a link to try Windows 7 free until next March, and a link to try Linux whenever you like. Experience both. Make up your own mind. Enjoy. Or ignore. As you wish.
    No one asked for a link to try them. I dont need to try them i use both Linux and Windows.
    Have you ever purchased Windows for a business? Each seat (ie user) costs a Windows license fee. Each server an even bigger license fee. Google has more servers than anyone else in the world. If they ran on Windows it would be a massive bill to pay Microsoft. Unlikely that google as a start-up business could afford the Windows operating system licenses in its early days, taking into consideration the large number of servers required to provide a search engine service.
    I wonder how Microsoft are still in business so? How do commercial Linux distros survive too?
    And thats only one reason why google dont use windows there is many more.
    I still dont see how Microsoft would own Google if they used Microsoft's servers, yeah it would make them money.
    Microsoft's pre-release upgrade pricing seems to be available in most other European countries - except for Ireland. Microsoft is benefiting handsomely from Ireland - as are many other companies, including Ryanair who is running a Europe-wide airline from a low tax base location with access to 400 odd million consumers. Microsoft is for the most part employing intelligent people, most of whom wouldn't have any problem finding a job elsewhere or a certain percentage of whom would be capable of setting up their own businesses.
    The Irish government decided the tax rate not Microsoft. Microsoft employ many people indirectly too contract cleaners, canteen staff, building managers etc...
    Ireland's over-dependence on non-Irish multi-nationals in the long term is a negative. Ireland should not allow itself to be a "slave" to Microsoft - because the net real benefits Microsoft is getting out of Ireland are far higher than the net real benefits Ireland is getting out of Microsoft.
    Thats hardly Microsoft's fault.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    No one asked for a link to try them. I dont need to try them i use both Linux and Windows.

Nobody asks for 95% of the stuff that gets posted on boards. If people didn't post, sometimes provocative stuff, it would be a boring place.
    I wonder how Microsoft are still in business so?
    Microsoft is still in business because it has a near monopoly in the operating system market. Period. Not because of their innovation. Or the quality of the code they offer. Or the security it provides customers
    I still dont see how Microsoft would own Google if they used Microsoft's servers, yeah it would make them money.
    If you earned EUR 50,000 a year, and had to pay Food Monopoly Inc EUR 50,000 a year (or anything like that) to get enough bananas to live, Food Monopoly Inc would own EvilMonkey!
    The Irish government decided the tax rate not Microsoft.
    I don't understand your logic.
    Microsoft employ many people indirectly too contract cleaners, canteen staff, building managers etc...
    But if x% of the bright people working for Microsoft had their own enterprises, they too would need to employ cleaners, canteen staff, building managers, etc.
    Thats hardly Microsoft's fault.
    I'm not blaming Microsoft for finding the "right" place to do business from their perspective. I am blaming them for trying to rip that country off by not making available pre-launch pricing in Ireland - as they have done in other European countries and in North America. If Microsoft IRL ops was based in Switzerland or NL, I would still complain if pre-launch pricing was not available in Ireland. The existence of MS IRL just adds icing to my cake of complaint:-) Yum. Yum! Grrrh....

• Advertisement

Nobody asks for 95% of the stuff that gets posted on boards. If people didn't post, sometimes provocative stuff, it would be a boring place.
    In a thread about pre release pricing of windows its not wanted or necessary and what puts allot of people off Linux.
    Microsoft is still in business because it has a near monopoly in the operating system market. Period. Not because of their innovation. Or the quality of the code they offer. Or the security it provides customers
    If you earned EUR 50,000 a year, and had to pay Food Monopoly Inc EUR 50,000 a year (or anything like that) to get enough bananas to live, Food Monopoly Inc would own EvilMonkey!
    But if the costs are so prohibitive for business this would not be the case.
    But if x% of the bright people working for Microsoft had their own enterprises, they too would need to employ cleaners, canteen staff, building managers, etc.

But we dont should they wait on the scratcher until we do? Microsoft isn't stopping Irish companies from trading.
    I'm not blaming Microsoft for finding the "right" place to do business from their perspective. I am blaming them for trying to rip that country off by not making available pre-launch pricing in Ireland - as they have done in other European countries and in North America. If Microsoft IRL ops was based in Switzerland or NL, I would still complain if pre-launch pricing was not available in Ireland. The existence of MS IRL just adds icing to my cake of complaint:-) Yum. Yum! Grrrh....

We can buy from uk stores and probably still would if it was available in Ireland, i have no idea why they didn't include Ireland, i could guess. Why dont you shoot them an email and ask?

Take it outside, or at least off a thread about windows pre-release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ilap7

alexmcred wrote: »

Check this out:
    http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/Microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-E
    E - does not contain an Internet browser
    N - does not contain an Internet browser or Windows Media player.

Advertisement