Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completed BER

• 15-07-2009 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Just a quick enquiry to feel for an opinion. I did a survey the other day on a house in Dublin. The owner told me that he was fearful of the rating he would get. It was a 1994 build so I told him to expect a D range rating and he was surprised because he recently had a 2006 built mid floor apartment done outside Dublin where he got a G rating. The assessor told him that 'storage heating is a killer on a BER'.
    I was surprised at this and would have expected a minimum C rating. Do I advise him to have the rating checked or do I leave it alone? He is a nice man and was charged €450 for the privilege.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

SilverBER wrote: »
    Just a quick enquiry to feel for an opinion. I did a survey the other day on a house in Dublin. The owner told me that he was fearful of the rating he would get. It was a 1994 build so I told him to expect a D range rating and he was surprised because he recently had a 2006 built mid floor apartment done outside Dublin where he got a G rating. The assessor told him that 'storage heating is a killer on a BER'.
    I was surprised at this and would have expected a minimum C rating. Do I advise him to have the rating checked or do I leave it alone? He is a nice man and was charged €450 for the privilege.

A G rating for a midfloor sounds wrong.

I have had a few F ratings on electrically heated apartments that were built in the early part of this decade but they had big areas of exposed wall and were either GF or TF units.

As for €450.... Thats just criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You are a brave man forecasting the outcome of a BER. I have learnt not to give the customer any expectation of outcome.

As to electric storage heating effect on BER I find the simplist thing to do is to re calculate using a 90% efficient condensing boiler. If the result is what you would expect then it is reasonable to assume that the low rating is correct.

As to €450, not criminal, probably in line with what we understood we would earn when we went down the BER route. If the economic downturn had not happened that would be in the higher region of what we would be probably earning.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

trad wrote: »

As to €450, not criminal.

lads, it a free market, if the guy was willing to pay this without getting other quotes so be it....

we do not know the details of the engagement.

as regards the apartment, a G rating seems incorrect.

i did a top floor 2004 2 bed apartment with 3 exposed walls and an exposed roof... fully electrical space and water heating... even used generic heater inputs
    ... and it came in at an E1...

ive even done a 1900s cottage which got an F.... a G seems very incorrect..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 legs_akimbo

I did a small apartment with storage heaters that got a very low rating and may have been a G...would have to check, the mitigating factor here was that it was more of a self contained unit so the living area fraction was high, this I have found to be another anomoly of DEAP, a huge cold poorly insulated house can attain as good a result if not better than a newer, adequately insulated and glazed dwelling simply by virtue of the size of the sitting room.
    I appreciate it should make a difference..... but it is, on the whole, disproportionate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

i recently did a mid floor apartment (circa 1998 build) with only one exposed wall and storage heaters...the energy rating came in at a C...

I also did a top floor apartment in the same building which came in at a D...simply because of the roof being a heat loss element.

• Advertisement
Advertisement