Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving with lights on...

• 15-07-2009 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Not us ..but them (car drivers), who agree's or not with cars driving with their lights on.Similar discussion on the Motors board...most seem to do it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Are you saying we should or shouldn't ?

I have mine on most of the time, not to look cool, but to ensure I am perfectly visible at all times.

Does it pose a problem for bikers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'm all for it TBH, the fewer cars that crash into each other the better, because there'll be fewer obstructions on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I have my lights on on both bike and cage to help those who are completely blind see me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I'm still on the fence on this one..on one hand ,a car with its lights on will attract a better glance than one without (i.e it could be a cop car), putting a bike with its lights on in a better situation.......on the other, if all cars drove with their lights on this would bring it all back to zero again and drivers would just take a quick glance at junctions ,spotting only the car (possibly 50 mtrs) behind the bike ....
    To me, when i'm in the car i wouldnt feel driving with my lights on would make me feel safer so i dont use them .....but i never ride without my lights on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

This morning there were tonnes of cars out, in the thickest fog, with no headlights on. Mental. These people shouldn't be let drive.

I always drive with mine on, regardless of the weather. They're not strong enough to blind another driver so I see no harm in it.

Aren't Volvos programmed to always have their lights on as a safety feature? Or was it Saab?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Aren't Volvos programmed to always have their lights on as a safety feature? Or was it Saab?

Both AFAIK, at least on some models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I keep my lights on the whole time, in the old days of riding Brit bikes it made no difference because the lights were crap and it would also put a strain on the charging system. It should be manditory now on motorcycles.

I keep my lights on the whole time, in the old days of riding Brit bikes it made no difference because the lights were crap and it would also put a strain on the charging system. It should be manditory now on motorcycles.

I'm think it is in some places, for example my bike doesn't allow you to turn the lights off, only a switch for dipped / full beam.

The lights on my bike can't be turned off. Theres no switch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The lights on my bike can't be turned off. Theres no switch!

Same with mine.
    Most bikers leave their lights on, i have my foglights on to. They're slightly pointed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lights on the bikes the whole time :D In the car I only use them when visibility isn't great, if you can't see something the size of a saloon car, no light's going to help. Hate when cars drive around with their fogs on without fog, been blinded a couple of times.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I'm think it is in some places, for example my bike doesn't allow you to turn the lights off, only a switch for dipped / full beam.

Same here. On previous bikes where you could turn the lights on/off i always had them on anyways.

I think all cages should have their lights on too,i've lost track of the number of times a cage has seemingly appeared from nowhere behind me and caught me unawares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I always have mine on. Prefer cars to have them on too. easy to spot them in the mirrors especially on an overcast / dull day. Now if only they'd use their indicators when changing lanes. (Taxi drivers I'm looking at you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The car test has a question in about when to not use you lights, I think 'during the day' is a valid answer.

The below is taken from the rules of the road.

When to use headlights
    If conditions require you to use headlights to drive safely, you must use them.
    Use dipped headlights at night or main beam headlights as appropriate. When
    in doubt, turn them on. Make sure that the red lights and number plate lighting
    at the back of your vehicle are working.
    Use dipped headlights:
    • just after the beginning (dusk) and before the end (dawn) of lightingup
    hours,
    • as long as they are needed to let you see clearly,
    • when stopped in traffic,
    • when meeting other traffic,
    • in built-up areas where there is good street lighting,
    • on continuously lit roads outside built-up areas,
    • when following behind another vehicle,
    • where there is dense fog, falling snow or heavy rain,
    • when daylight is fading, and
    • generally to avoid inconveniencing other traffic.

Údarás Um Shábháilteacht Ar Bhóithre
    Road Safety Authority
    It is good practice to use dipped headlights or dim/dip lights, where fitted,
    instead of only sidelights in built-up areas where there is good street lighting.

Advertisement