Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Told to check blind spot changing lanes ?

• 15-07-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

have my test later today :(

Last night my instructor told me , twice, to be sure to check blind spot when changing lanes , e.g at traffic lights when I will be then turning right etc

I read here (somewhere) that thats actually dangerous, as you are lookng behind while moving forward. My prestest guy also said not to do it

but my instructor last night insisted I could be marked on it

any opinion ?

and thanks, veru useful forum thingy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Checking your blind spot while moving is not only safe, it's essential. If you're changing lanes on a motorway, the last thing you do before moving is look over your shoulder. You should know from the traffic conditions ahead whether or not it's safe to take your eyes off the road for half a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

You should check Blind Spot when necessary/required and at lights it is not necessary/required.

When is it necessary/required?
    ANS:
    IF you could have someone driving on the right or left side of you car,
    IF you are change lanes,
    IF you are moving off from the kerb.
    When reversing (This is part of 360deg observation)

Be very careful when you do it because if you do it to much you may not see what in going on ahead.

A good tip would be; only check behind when you know it is safe to do so.

See this video as it shows how controlled your movements should be:
    moving off
    http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/Irish-Driving-Test-Video-Tutorials-Login.php
    How to Move Off from the Left:

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Downey Penguin

I'm learning to drive myself hence the reason why i'm loitering around this forum... So in no way can I offer any technical answers on this. However...

Last night my sister was cycling home from work on a busy road that splits into two. She was cycling along on the left hand side of her correct lane a car pulled into her lane without checking his blindspot and ran into her bike. She fell on the handle bars. She was taken to hospital, had a CT scan and x-rays on her back and neck. She has got the clear but still can't see out of her right eye (which is what hit the handlebar) but when the swelling goes down I'm sure it will be ok.

So in my opinion and to give an actual example of the consequences, I think you should check your blindspot when changing lanes!

I hope this doesn't sound like a scare story but it only happened yesterday afternoon and I had a driving lesson afterward... I was obviously more on look out for cyclists than I had ever been before!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

have my test later today :(

Last night my instructor told me , twice, to be sure to check blind spot when changing lanes , e.g at traffic lights when I will be then turning right etc

I read here (somewhere) that thats actually dangerous, as you are lookng behind while moving forward. My prestest guy also said not to do it

but my instructor last night insisted I could be marked on it

any opinion ?

and thanks, veru useful forum thingy

Definitely do it. The other day I was on a dual carrigeway and I was about to move into the fast lane. Saw nothing in my side mirror, was about to move out, but I checked over my shoulder and lo-and-behold there was a motorcyclist there.

So if I didn't check the blindspot god only knows what could have happened...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I never check my blindspots when turning left at lights or even at a junction with no lights. i'd just be looking left and right to make sure the way is clear because you are not changing lanes or reversing, there is no need to be checking what is to your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I never check my blindspots when turning left at lights or even at a junction with no lights. i'd just be looking left and right to make sure the way is clear because you are not changing lanes or reversing, there is no need to be checking what is to your right.

You're making one serious error though, you should also be checking the mirror on the side you're turning into, there could be a cyclist coming up on your near side ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Its essential to check your blindspot when turnng, moving lanes, etc. It only takes a second. Just move forward in your seat and check the mirror. Anyone who tells you you dont need to check it is a danger to you and others. If you move lane on a motorway and there is a van in the blindspot you will get creamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

kmick wrote: »
    Its essential to check your blindspot when turnng, moving lanes, etc. It only takes a second. Just move forward in your seat and check the mirror. Anyone who tells you you dont need to check it is a danger to you and others. If you move lane on a motorway and there is a van in the blindspot you will get creamed.
    +1

people not checking there blind spots before changing lanes accounts form a large portion of motorcycle related accidents, as they usually end up side sweeping the motorcycle in the other lane and knocking the rider off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Oh this should always be done, especially on motorways, from my experience I know if I wasn't in the habit of checking blind spots on the motorway I would of had some nasty ones to date, there has been a few times where I have seen nothing in the mirrors but then a check of the blind spot reveals a bike or a small Micra or something!

"It only takes a second but saves a lifetime"

I should write slogans for the RSA! haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

TheElf wrote: »

"It only takes a second but saves a lifetime"

I should write slogans for the RSA! haha

If that were the case you'll find you should be writing something more along these lines

It should only take a second but takes the RSA a lifetime :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Turning at lights or uncontrolled junctions are probably the most important times to check your blindspots, especially if you've been stopped.

While you're approaching a set of lights or a junction, it's reasonable easy to figure out whether or not a bicycle or motorcycle is at risk by you turning. You will have been looking in your mirrors and looking ahead, so you'll remember whether or not you've overtaken anyone and you'll have seen any approaching motorcyclists in your mirror.

So if you can turn left or right in one fluid motion without stopping, then you're likely to get away with not having checked your blindspot, because the odds of a cyclist or motorcyclist having gained on you and started to overtake, while you're moving, are quite low (though far from impossible).

However, if you stop, even for a second, the whole traffic layout has changed. A cyclist could easily have come from behind and be filtering on the left or right, or a motorcyclist could easily have come from behind a line of traffic and started overtaking on the right (and sometime the left!).

This makes it much more likely that you will be involved in a collision if you fail to check your blindspot after moving off, before you make the turn.

The check, known as a "lifesaver" to motorcyclists, takes less than a second - it's a fluid motion, your head shouldn't stop to look at your blind spot, it should just pivot around and immediately pivot back. That quick glance will tell you whether *something* exists in your blindspot, which is all you need to know.

Advertisement