Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret of monkey island: Special Edition (360/PC out now)

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

6qbmde.jpg
    A glorious HD remake!

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is an enhanced remake of The Secret of Monkey Island for the PC and Xbox Live Arcade, developed internally by LucasArts and set to be released on the 15th of July 2009. The remake was announced on the first day of the 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo along with the episodic Tales of Monkey Island.

The Special Edition features new character art and hand-painted environments in the style of the original, presented in 1080i widescreen (1920 x 1080 resolution). It also features a re-recorded and re-mastered score, and the principal voice artists from The Curse of Monkey Island read the previously unspoken lines, with Dominic Armato as Guybrush, Alexandra Boyd as Elaine, and Earl Boen as LeChuck.
    The interface itself is streamlined, hiding the verb table and inventory that previously took up the lower part of the screen. These, including the nine-option verb table from the enhanced editions of the game, can be pulled up as a menu, while verbs can also be selected by cycling through pre-set commands. Another new feature is the three-level hint system, which (at the third level) presents a bright yellow arrow showing the player where to go.

The developers also added a close-up of Spiffy, the dog in the Scumm Bar, that was deleted from the original versions due to space considerations, despite appearing on the back of the box.

It is possible to switch between the 256 color enhanced and the new version of graphics

Anyone else picking this up? I literally have a boner here waiting to get out of work and play this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

0ubliette wrote: »
    I literally have a boner here waiting to get out of work and play this

Too much information. Yeah will pick this up this evening for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yes cant wait ! Any idea how much it will cost?

Unlocks on steam in 7 hours (approximately) but doesnt give a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Burgo wrote: »
    Yes cant wait ! Any idea how much it will cost?

Unlocks on steam in 7 hours (approximately) but doesnt give a price.

800 points on xbox, not sure about steam. Think it might be a tenner or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I literally have a boner here waiting to get out of work and play this

First you better stop waving it like a feather duster...

:pac:

First you better stop waving it like a feather duster...

:pac:

Soon youll be wearing my sword like a shish kebob :pac:

• Advertisement

Soon youll be wearing my sword like a shish kebob :pac:
    Look behind you a three headed monkey!!!

*legs it*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Damn it, I'm out of the country for a few months with only a work laptop that I can't put steam on. WANT THIS GAME :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Anyone know what time it's going to be on Steam tonight? Apparently its on XBox Live already, but damned if I'll relive my glorious point and click youth on a console pad!

Steam lists the price as €8.99 BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I'm waiting for it to finish downloading on my xbox

20% complete.....

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

21%......

Stephen wrote: »
    Damn it, I'm out of the country for a few months with only a work laptop that I can't put steam on. WANT THIS GAME :(

Direct2Drive to the rescue maybe...?
    http://www.direct2drive.com/8241/product/Buy-The-Secret-of-Monkey-Island%28R%29:-Special-Edition-Download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Played about 20 mins there, loving it! The transition between old and new graphics with F10 is really, really slick.

Looking forward to finishing it this time, only got about 3/4 through previously :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

First credit card arrived today (Swore I never would, but wasnt counting on this!)...... Check
    Join Steam........Check
    Begin downloading the first game I've bought in 3 years, .........In Progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Not while on the graphical over haul, the original style hasn't really transferred over. Plus like a book it never sounds quite right when you have voice overs.

Been playing it mostly in the original form and I'm glad you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the voices should be OK considering they're using the same guy that voiced Guybrush in MI3 to do his voice in this one. I might pick up a cheapo laptop to use for personal crap while I'm here for the next few months. Then put steam on for all that good stuff - I imagine this game has very modest system requirements? That said, I must get something capable of running the new episodes. Finished the first one on my good PC at home before I came over here and it was joyous.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Does anyone know how it controls on the 360, I'm very much looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Does anyone know how it controls on the 360, I'm very much looking forward to this.

Move a cursor with the stick and press either a or b for suggested options. If the option you want isn't either press left bumper or left trigger for the full range.
    You can look at your inventory any time with right bumper or right trigger.
    Press the back button to switch between new and old style at any time. Press X for hint option I think.

Loving it so far.
    Eyes are so tired now though.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Not while on the graphical over haul, the original style hasn't really transferred over. Plus like a book it never sounds quite right when you have voice overs.

Been playing it mostly in the original form and I'm glad you can do that.

You do realise you could have jsut played the original on scummvm at any point over the last 10 years tho, right? So playing the original version kinda negates buying the remake, does it no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Would anyone recommend this if they liked Grim Fandango?

creggy wrote: »
    Would anyone recommend this if they liked Grim Fandango?

YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

You do realise you could have jsut played the original on scummvm at any point over the last 10 years tho, right? So playing the original version kinda negates buying the remake, does it no?

Yeah but I wanted to see what the remake was like. Now I have gone to the trouble of buying it it would be a bit silly to ignore it and play the original through ScummVM. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ive never played the original, could I still enjoy this(xbox) or is it a bit outdated and you need your nostagic glasses on?

If you like point and click style adventure games at all, then a resounding YES!
    Played it right through last night :o Might go for the speed run achievement soon too :D

Got it this morning, and played the first chapter thing, very good so far ( and alot funnier than most modern titles... You fight like a dairy farmer!).

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it was classic. never finished it. getting an original cast and crew to reanimate an awesome game? for $9.99? I'd be a fool not to buy this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

hmm might give it a try, havent ever really played a point and click before, might be an education! is there many hard puzzles in this?

sure theres loads. and am optional hint system if youre terribly behoodled. But the real genius is in the swordfighting, which is all about picking the most appropriate verbal insults.

Overheal wrote: »
    sure theres loads. and am optional hint system if youre terribly behoodled. But the real genius is in the swordfighting, which is all about picking the most appropriate verbal insults.

Have to say I'd be lost without the hints. Some of the solutions are so unusual...

Insult Swordfighting is so far my favourite part!

you know what really needs hints is Order of the Stick. I got stuck very *very* early in.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Overheal wrote: »
    you know what really needs hints is Order of the Stick. I got stuck very *very* early in.

Am I wrong in thinking that's also an awesome D&D comic?

• Advertisement

oh sorry youre right. im thinking of Kingdom of Loathing.

Advertisement