Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Dragon due home

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Green dragon is due home to day, anyone know what time? Would be nice to get down and welcome her back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Would love to see her again too. Great memories. Great achievement by the crew to pull out all the stops and come in 3rd to Galway.

Coming to Galway docks today? If it is evening time I'm going down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Should have arrived in the docks at 10.45pm according to Kieth Finnegan show!

Its for sale for a whooping €2.5 millions!

Going to be displayed at the docks for few days, then again on display in an undecided area (possibly the Prom) for another while!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Should have arrived in the docks at 10.45pm according to Kieth Finnegan show!

Its for sale for a whooping €2.5 millions!

Going to be displayed at the docks for few days, then again on display in an undecided area (possibly the Prom) for another while!

You realise it cost a lot more than that to build though, yeah?

It's the heaviest of the fleet so reckon she won't be too easy to sell tbh, not much good for future races due to it's weight as it'll never win a race

JohnCleary wrote: »

It's the heaviest of the fleet so reckon she won't be too easy to sell tbh, not much good for future races due to it's weight as it'll never win a race

I do realise, I just like the word whooping.

If I had that kinda monies, I'd buy her, cause shes pretty!

*Is it true that she had the best crew, but not the best boat(being heavy and all)?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

green dragon is currently down at the Dun Aengus side of the docks, for anyone is interested! great memories :D

• Advertisement

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    green dragon is currently down at the Dun Aengus side of the docks, for anyone is interested! great memories :D

Go on..... Get your camera out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »

Really? I thought the problem was not enough weight - they were saying during the race that she was a tonne lighter in the keel so couldn't match the other boats in upwind conditions, but was able to hold her own in fast downwind conditions, e.g. the leg finishing in Galway....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 eamonnf

Just drove past docks and green dragon is attracting quite a crowd.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Really? I thought the problem was not enough weight - they were saying during the race that she was a tonne lighter in the keel so couldn't match the other boats in upwind conditions, but was able to hold her own in fast downwind conditions, e.g. the leg finishing in Galway....
    There was a lengthy piece in the Times last weekend about this. The hull was too heavy and too conservative in design due to time and budget constraints. The keel bulb was a tonne lighter than the rest which is supposed to have made a huge difference. To give it some perspective, I believe the skipper of Puma was moaning at one stage about his keel weight being 20kg less than Ericsson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Ah never heard of this until I came across in in the docks this evening! Would have liked to get a few shots of it arriving.

Well here it is back in the docks... ;)

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0080_stitch.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Nice pics Gary82, is this the new camera? Would have liked to have got some myself but I'm off to the UK on Friday and don't think I'll get a chance before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

wouldnt you know it, Gary82 bet me to the photos, well LAW DEE DAW with the new camera :P

Ye know me, I'd only go as far as my balcony to take a pic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Yeah took the new Nikon out for a spin! Didn't even know the boat was in, was just out for a study-break wander with the camera!

Advertisement