Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History with a bank

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

I have always thought that having a history with a bank mattered, but some events in the last few months have made me question that (some pretty funny stuff, actually).

Do you think it matters to a bank that you've had an account with them for x no. of years, or is the only thing that matters these days your ICB rating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

In the current climate there are banks that only want to deal with current customers. What is the reason for your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I was concerned with the same question myself about 18 months ago. I was a 15 year customer with BOI but decided to leave for a multitude of reasons. I was worried it would somehow affect my ability to get a loan or mortgage in the future as "time with current bank" would be only a year or two etc. It had no affect. I think credit rating and history of saving and paying back loans is the most important thing. changing institution has not affected me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Reason for my question is that I have an account with Halifax which is my primary bank at the moment (wages paid into, etc.), and also one with PTSB which I have had since I was a child, which is infrequently used. I also have my credit card with PTSB and I have had it with them for a number of years.

I have their "classic" card, which they are phasing out in favour of the Ice card. I'm considering switching to that card, but there are better deals available with other banks (including halifax). If I do switch my card away from PTSB then my account with them will be very infrequently used, and I'm wondering if there's a point in keeping it at all. Will the fact that I've had the account for so long mean anything at all if I deal with them?

Advertisement