Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you recommend Dublin?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Do you think Dublin is a worthy tourist destination? Just got back from Munich and the surrounding areas, was over for a week visiting friends, and i was curious as to why the German tourists on the return flight were coming here.
    What do you think we have that would put us ahead of other European cities that weekenders in Europe could visit?
    It might be because I'm from here but I'm pretty sure if I was American or Australian or something I'd be far more impressed by the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Amsterdam etc etc.
    They're easy to get around in, public transport is cheap, not constantly surrounded by heroin addicts and scumbags, a lot more to do/see.
    I just can't see why people would come here. I was over in Edinburgh last month and everyone that has been here just said it's far too expensive and they wouldn't go back.
    Edinburgh is about 2/3rds of the price of here for everything, and a much prettier city, I would recommend it over Dublin.
    Everything in Munich was pretty much half price. The same can be said for anywhere in Germany.
    Dublin seems to be the most expensive city in Europe, and it's just not worth it.
    From my experience car hire here is the most expensive IN THE WORLD. It just doesn't add up. I almost feel like setting up an anti-bord failte, for the sake of the tourists that have to come here and get ripped off. Oh and we seem to have the worst climate outside of the Shetlands too.
    What are your opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Most cities in Europe are pretty much all the same, in my experience. Particularly Central Europe. Dublin in the very least looks different to your typical European capital. There are plenty of sights to see, and there is the myth that Irish people are happy-go-luck friendly types and that every pub has a fiddle player, with locals dancing around a log fire.

It has a charming appeal, even if it's nonsense.

(On a side note. Amsterdam; 'not constantly surrounded by heroin addicts and scumbags'. LMAO!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Dublin is a nice city to visit, it's got plenty of stuff to go see like Guiness and Jameson factories, Kilmainham, Dublin Zoo, Phoenix Park, Botanic Gardens (absolutely beautiful), Stephen's Green, etc, and plenty of shops/pubs/restaurants. Then you have places like Dalkey, where the scenery out there is breath-taking.

I live in the city, and love it, however, I agree with the first poster in that the scores of junkies/scumbags littering our streets give it such a bad image. O'Connell Street is the main street, and beside Londis there's ALWAYS a big bunch hanging around on the step, drinking cans and falling around the place, it's disgusting.

As for it being expensive - yes it is, however, other cities are also. I was in Rome last year, and it is about the same as Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i think you can excuse Rome for being expensive, must be the cultural capital of the world and biggest tourist destination outside of Paris probably. None of those things you said are particularly unique though are they? I doubt anyone that comes here goes to Dalkey either. Don't get me wrong, I have a good life here, because of my job and friends, but I don't think i'd visit if i was from abroad with the high prices and the lack of anything outstanding to see or do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Amsterdam etc etc.

The discerning city visitor will be in to more than just the expense, although it will make a difference. look at Paris or Rome, very expensive, Rome is filthy, but, like Dublin, still pulling the crowds. Urban dregs as bad as they are are part of a city, look at Barcelona. I'm not saying nothing should be done about Dublins problem with them, but its simply a fact. The list of what Dublin has to offer is endless, it's medieval history through British occupation to the civil was is very attractive to history buffs, the arts scene is very good, galleries and museums are free or incredibly cheap, some of them hold some of the best art in the world. The music scene is very good, small venues, rock and alternative are a big draw for a lot of people, particularly Germans. The pub scene in Dublin and Ireland is different to pub scenes in the rest of the world, and is renowned, good atmosphere, good booze and relaxed ambiances makes it a winning scene.

I travel a lot and anyone I meet that has been to Dublin has loved it. The difference is, they use the city. A lot of Dubliners use the city too, but a lot of dwellers understandably have become disillusioned, massive commutes, living miles outside the city, never getting to see it properly etc... a lot of other people simply don't research where they live and go home to the country every weekend. This narrow point of view of the city is not good.

Our tourists should be protected though, users and scumbags will have to be policed better.

Regarding the weather, most tourists will read tour books like the lonely planet and bring suitable clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

I have visted Munich and don't recall anything particularly outstanding about it, well except for Dachau Concentration Camp. That really is outstanding, in the sense, that is totally incredible that only a few miles outside of Munich and more or less within full view of the locals such unspeakable acts of inhumanity and cruelty took place! I don't think that there is anything else outstanding about Munich, so I'm not surprised that these people want to visit Dublin to be honest.

Oh and not forgetting the Bavarian equivalent of 'Paddy whackery' that is the Hofbrauhaus Beer Hall (think Oliver St. John Gogarty's x 10 times as cheesy!), but needless to say that wasn't particularly outstanding either, nor was the BMW museum which I personally thought was a massive let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

I'd be far more impressed by the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Amsterdam etc etc.

Then you know what to do don't you?

dats_right wrote: »
    Then you know what to do don't you?

No I don't, please tell me!

dats_right wrote: »
    I have visted Munich and don't recall anything particularly outstanding about it...

Yeah i know, but it's a really well run place, really clean, reasonably priced, and they have a good lifestyle there. I guess it was the cheap prices for everything and good services and the mind blowingly efficient public transport that impresses me there. The bike tours are good too.

I hope you waited for the green man before crossing the road even though there was no traffic!!!

WW2 Gave Berliners a golden opportunity to rebuild the city accommodating modern living. Still, there was the downside of the razing of the city along with death and destruction. I have been a few times and yes, great public transport, great great underground arts scene, good food, good prices, but just a tad boring.

lightening wrote: »
    I hope you waited for the green man before crossing the road even though there was no traffic!!!

WW2 Gave Berliners a golden opportunity to rebuild the city accommodating modern living. Still, there was the downside of the razing of the city along with death and destruction. I have been a few times and yes, great public transport, great great underground arts scene, good food, good prices, but just a tad boring.

You may laugh at the green man thing, but it's a good way to show how much people respect authority and the law and their country there. This is basically why they don't have the same yob/knacker culture we have in Ireland, they're more well behaved. You can lock your bike anywhere and it wont be touched for example.
    And if you think Berlin is boring you must be the first!

• Advertisement

how much people respect authority and the law and their country there.

Frightlingly so if you look back at the history books!
    This is basically why they don't have the same yob/knacker culture we have in Ireland

Aside from the extreme right wing neo-nazi's its about as safe as Dublin, the usual pick-pockets, thieves, muggings, burglaries etc... I worked as a cycle courier in Dublin and was lucky never to have my bike robbed. I guess you are unlucky, where was it robbed?

(Not on my own about it being a little bit boring, I have friends living there, and they agree....)

my bike is never left outside work or my house so it can't get robbed, a friend of mine is on his 3rd bike in 2 years, unfortunate or what. Anyway we're going off topic here. I just think more needs to be done by Bord Failte or whoever is in charge of tourism, to stop people getting ripped off and keep the streets cleaner and safer for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Was in Frankfurt last week and I thought it was one of the best German cities. Less obvious scum hanging around but was talking to a local and seemingly you'd want to double lock your bike. Dublin has it's faults, the junkies being one of my favourites, and of course it's expensive but I still like it. Barcelona has all sorts of dubious characters hanging about for no good reason, I know dodgy scum when I see them. Amsterdam is the same.

unfortunate or what.

Yeah, very, still, at least the two of us never had our bikes robbed!
    to stop people getting ripped off and keep the streets cleaner and safer for them.

Well, prices have dropped, good deals to be got all over the city now. But you are right about the users and perceived threats. The Gardai have have have to do something about it. Did you see the massive clampdown on the boardwalk after a big discussion on this forum a while ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

lightening wrote: »
    Did you see the massive clampdown on the
    boardwalk after a big discussion on this forum a while ago?

Did boards prompt it?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

i think you can excuse Rome for being expensive, must be the cultural capital of the world and biggest tourist destination outside of Paris probably. None of those things you said are particularly unique though are they? I doubt anyone that comes here goes to Dalkey either. Don't get me wrong, I have a good life here, because of my job and friends, but I don't think i'd visit if i was from abroad with the high prices and the lack of anything outstanding to see or do.

People visit Rome for the fantastic architecture and a little thing called the Vatican I would imagine!

People would have totally different reasons for visiting Dublin - the whole "craic agus ceol" thing being the most probable - and we definitely don't disappoint on that side of things!

You may argue that Dublin is very expensive, but maybe you're going to very "upmarket" places :) There are plenty of pubs and restaurants here that do cheap meals/drinks, they're not hard to find either!

they went on about the clampdown on the boardwalk etc., but what actually happened? They arrested a few peddlers, it didn't make any difference no way. I was away for 2.5 years recently, back working at same place, and there's FAR more junkies around now than there used to be. I wont go into that though.
    Yes i think you're right, prices are coming down via early bird menus and lunchtime deals etc, but the price of a drink or a la carte main course has only got more expensive. On RTE News last night the publicans were trying to have the drinks price freeze lifted so they can continue raising prices, they think it's uncompetitive ffs. I didn't start this thread to slate the city, I'm quite happy here, I was just wondering if it should be recommended to tourists over other cities.
    I was listening to RTE 1 this morning and they were in Lahinch, where the business at the Golf Links has dropped dramatically. They asked if it was due to the prices being too expensive, (this obviously being the reason), but all the manager could say was that "no no we're almost in line with british prices, especially scottish prices".
    That's not competition. Why don't they try enticing tourists by offering lower prices than Britain?

gurramok wrote: »
    Did boards prompt it?:)

I don't know, RTE said it was because of public outcry, I don't know if this site is monitored in this way, but the BrazilianZ and a few others made very good points about the problem and what a big problem it is in such a central place. I presume you complained to the your TD and the Gardai as well as complaining on here Brazilianz.... if so, seems like your complaints didn't fall on deaf ears.

The junkies are unfortunate beings but you wouldn't bring tourists to a leper colony would you? That's what this place reminds me of sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭sineadCharl

I live in the City Centre and have done for years. Dublin like any other city has its faults but it is a great city. I would definitely recommend it to tourists. Loads of my friends have visited from other countries and love Dublin. It's expensive if you want it to be,but there are loads of cheap options. We've got a great city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Yes I would absolutely recommend Dublin, on par with Amsterdam, they are similar in the atmosphere for me with Dublin winning big time because of the surroundings - honestly you don't have many European cities with such a good sea/mountains combination. Most of the big ones are inland (Germany, Austria spring to mind) with absolutely boring landscape and not much to do out of town. Dublin scores big points for Howth, Killiney, Wicklow mountains, Newgrange etc. Wildlife lovers have something to do as well.

Dublin is accessible on foot, plenty of smaller and bigger attractions (not huge ones like in London or Rome but then it's a different league), generally pleasant and laid back atmosphere junkies aside. English as the main language also helps, everybody speaks SOME English so you won't be fleeced like you can be in Rome or Paris and you don't feel isolated.

It's also quite unique and not a cookie cutter city - I've been to Germany quite a lot and honestly while I appreciate the highly civilised aspect of their cities (public transport FTW!) there is not much uniqueness in Munich, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Hannover, Nurnberg etc. I really need to concentrate to remember which is which. Only Hamburg and Berlin stand out. Even good old Vienna has more spirit than most German cities.

Dublin needs lower prices and to sort out north inner city scumbaggery, that's for sure. If this happens we'll be flying.

herya wrote: »
    with absolutely boring landscape and not much to do out of town. Dublin scores big points for Howth, Killiney, Wicklow mountains, Newgrange etc. Wildlife lovers have something to do as well.

Ummm Salzburg is probably one of the most stunningly situated cities anywhere in the world! I have family in Vienna and there are tonnes of things to do in the surrounding areas. You are near mountains, skiing, saltmines, Bratislava etc.
    Do we have wildlife in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Ummm Salzburg is probably one of the most stunningly situated cities anywhere in the world! I have family in Vienna and there are tonnes of things to do in the surrounding areas. You are near mountains, skiing, saltmines, Bratislava etc.

I agree about Salzburg's surroundings but then the city (or rather town) itself is really rather small and not much to do there apart from Mozart spotting and wine drinking - I wouldn't compare it to the likes of Amsterdam, Dublin or Lisbon - Galway maybe! You might be right about Vienna, I've been there a couple of times though and the surroundings are not as heavily promoted as their city attractions. Great city though, brilliant vibe!

I assure you that our seals, nesting sea birds or deer in the city park are not standard everywhere, and that's just Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yeah you are right. Dublincity is a rubbish bin. The people who live there are like the smelly ooze that gathers at the bottom of one on a hot summer's day! And - as you pointed out - it is expensive.
    I don't know why tourists come here either. We must have some great pr people or else they are all wallet masochists who like a good fleecing!

Was that the sort of response you wanted?

You are just taking a good point of Dublin, googling a city that has that particular thing, but better. Fairly weak to be honest, what about Salzburgs sea fishing in the summer? I have been to Sazlburg, its no Dublin when it comes to tourism. The proximity to Wicklow is amazing in Dublin, as is the proximity to Dublin bay, I am out in Dublin bay at least once a week, its teeming with wildlife. Your question asking if Ireland has wildlife proves you don't know you own country or city. In Dublin ALONE there are otters, deer, badger, fox, red squirrel, bats, dolphin, porpose, shark, breeding seals, egrets, perigrine falcons, kestrels, sparrohawks, buzzards... one of Europes leading bird sanctuary's 5k from the city as well as the Booterstown marshes. That's just animals I have seen recently off the top of my head. Last month there was a Minke whale off the nose of Howth. The wildlife in the rest of Ireland is too numerous to type out, but there was a pod of killer whales/orca's off Clare only last week.

So, yep, Ireland has wildlife, just because you are oblivious of the cities and countries secrets, doesn't mean it's not there.

I only mentioned Salzburg because i was there the other day. But in conclusion, I guess the main gripe with Dublin is the price, and whether it's worth it.

I only mentioned Salzburg because i was there the other day. But in conclusion, I guess the main gripe with Dublin is the price, and whether it's worth it.

From this thread, I would say the visual scumbags, users and dealers. And yeah, it is a problem. You are 100% right about that. Doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would affect some people and tourists. Prices have dropped, hotels are for nothing, food is good value, booze is too expensive.

I have a 21 year old American girl on an internship here in work and she loves the city, thinks it's amazing, has done lots, and I mean lots, the galleries, museums, bodies exhibition, fed the seals, sailed on the bay, done the historical walking tours, Guinness tour, Kilmainham Gaol (which every self respecting Dubliner should do) hillwalked in Wicklow, canoed on the river.... Probably more than most people who have lived in the city for years sitting on their couch moaning. Great attitude, get out there and to it type of girl...

She's probably younger than you fly_agaric, and look at your post. :o

And, in conclusion, to answer your question, I would say the majority of informed posts on the thread would say yes... Dublin would be a good recommendation for tourists. And, you must have learned lots about your own city from the thread.

i have to entertain someone from the UK visiting tonight for the weekend actually, was going to do Guinness tour, and if weather is nice maybe go to howth or something, but the weather wont be nice according to reports so we'll have to go anyway!
    On the junkie note, i've noticed a couple of gardai have been on the beat around this area (four courts, caple st etc) the last few days, maybe they're catching on, as there are a lot of tourists passing through this area for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

i have to entertain someone from the UK visiting tonight for the weekend actually, was going to do Guinness tour, and if weather is nice maybe go to howth or something, but the weather wont be nice according to reports so we'll have to go anyway!
    On the junkie note, i've noticed a couple of gardai have been on the beat around this area (four courts, caple st etc) the last few days, maybe they're catching on, as there are a lot of tourists passing through this area for some reason.
    i recommend the Jameson tour over the guinness one..and you can go to the national museum on merrion sq...think there is free entry to that

• Advertisement

this is shocking
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/alcohol-and-tobacco-priciest-in-europe-418921.html
    alc and tobacco 85% more, and 27% more in general. Yikes i didn't think it was that bad!

Advertisement