Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What cool car to get for under 4000?

• 15-07-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all, Well I'm car shopping at the mo and can't decide what to get. I had an MX5 before and really regret selling it! Very tempted to get another one but then thinking about how easy it is to break into them- just a stanley blade through the roof! Wondering if I should get something newer.... maybe fiat panda, (pure conservative but fun to drive and I could get a 3/4 year old car in my budget)) or I was looking at a few concept cars like the Nissan Pao (can't decide if it is ugly or funky!) or maybe the old style mini (though they are not nice to drive at all just very cute!) I kinda like Land Rover defenders too..... I know my taste is all over the place! Any other suggestions welcome :)

Should I just take the risk and get an MX5 again? My favorite car ever but I'd be buying a 17 year old car possibly with no warranty... and higher insurance and petrol costs.... Or cop on and get something newer and more sensible (But in a funky colour!)

All advice much appreciated cos my heads spinning from looking at carzone all day!!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ford Puma?

Buy a good one and it will not lose too much value. Can see good ones becomming future classics.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Puma/1.6/200909191941000/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Puma/1.6/200840190224630/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Cheers EPM.... hadn't thought of those and they are fab!!!! :)

Deleted spam

thanks :) sounds like a pure boy racer car!!! Does it have a big mad exhaust?!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

How about a 406 coupe? Plenty of choice within your price range

http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/results?nParam=4294911091+102548

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Get an MX5 with a Hard Top.

Go on you know you what too....

• Advertisement

kluivert wrote: »

:D so true.... the coolest cars around!!! Look at this one.....
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/MX-5/Ionas-Ro/200924193060321/advert?channel=CARS
    so tempted.......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

EPM wrote: »
    Ford Puma?

Buy a good one and it will not lose too much value. Can see good ones becomming future classics.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Puma/1.6/200909191941000/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Puma/1.6/200840190224630/advert?channel=CARS

Puma is best as a 1.7 (way punchier engine than the later 1.6). MUST have a/c too.

This car looks tidy, but is a bit pricey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

kluivert wrote: »

much prefer the hardtops too - think this is the logical choice tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

MX5 is no easier to break into than any other car....
    stanley blade to roof on MX5
    brick through window on hardtop cars....

mx5 is good,

what about a mr2 turbo..... one of the nice looking ones.... not the new heap of *hit.....

no-image-large.gif

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/MR2/TURBO/200929194610139/advert?channel=CARS

OK the colour isn't great but you get the idea.... €2000 mr2, rear wheel drive..... = lots of FUN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Toyota Celcia - not the lastest ones but the ones beforehand.

or

Modern Classic range - MR2 Mk1 - the one before the one posted above.

They are great wee cars and bullet proof. the only problem with them is rain water gathering engine tray and dropping down onto Alternator Bearing.

Check out the epsoide on Wheeler Dealers (Discover Turbo Sjy Channel 523) with this car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Puma is best as a 1.7 (way punchier engine than the later 1.6). MUST have a/c too.

This car looks tidy, but is a bit pricey

Totally agree. 1.4 and 1.6 are ok but not a patch on the 1.7.

Problem is finding a decent 1.7 though. UK might be worth a shot?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1105650.htm

1105650-2.jpg

Plus VRT
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Calculation. CO2 emissions input by Revenue.
    DATE: 15 July 2009 TIME: 12:16

STATISTICAL CODE: 40186228
    MAKE: FORD
    MODEL: PUMA
    VERSION: 1.7 03DR / SPORTS COUPE (NON-CONVERTIBLE) / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 178

MILEAGE: 40000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JUNE 2000

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €3158
    RATE OF TAX: 28%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €884

Cheap flight, ferry, and a small discount 4k could be possible. Saving not fantastic mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mitsubishu FTO?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A 406 coupe for €2,000 !!!!! And on the surface it seems an ok car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Suzuki cappuccino?
    Fiat Coupe 20v turbo?
    Honda beat, if you can find one?
    Motorbike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would say to go for mx5.

Why?

1. I just bought one(5 days ago), and i am happy as a pig in ****!
    2. You had that car, you know how good it is, go for it again :D
    3. Small,fun,reliable,FUN,good looking,FUN!
    4. Prices of them dropped now, so you can get really nice ones for small money!
    5. Mx-ireland club is full of awesome people, they do alot of social stuff, techdays ( where they share/teach athers members about mechanical side of theyr car, not just in theory!! )
    6. Get a hard top if you have security problems in your living area!
    7. FUN :D

Why you sold your mx5 btw?

In the end of the day, just go for what YOU whant, not your MUM, drinking friend, Jesus! :P

I would say to go for mx5.

Why?

1. I just bought one(5 days ago), and i am happy as a pig in ****!
    2. You had that car, you know how good it is, go for it again :D
    3. Small,fun,reliable,FUN,good looking,FUN!
    4. Prices of them dropped now, so you can get really nice ones for small money!
    5. Mx-ireland club is full of awesome people, they do alot of social stuff, techdays ( where they share/teach athers members about mechanical side of theyr car, not just in theory!! )
    6. Get a hard top if you have security problems in your living area!
    7. FUN :D

Why you sold your mx5 btw?

In the end of the day, just go for what YOU whant, not your MUM, drinking friend, Jesus! :P

Yeah I think you're right! I sold my last one because at the time I was doing 500 miles a week minimum and it was costing a fortune in petrol. Im not doing anywhere near that milage now and my insurance has dropped by half so its way more affordable. What MX5 did you get? A mark 1? I just love them!!! :)

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Yeah I think you're right! I sold my last one because at the time I was doing 500 miles a week minimum and it was costing a fortune in petrol. Im not doing anywhere near that milage now and my insurance has dropped by half so its way more affordable. What MX5 did you get? A mark 1? I just love them!!! :)

i got an mk2 10 Annyversery edition. I am not just love it, i am IN love with it!

I got allready spended 500eu on extras for it, like sports tyres, new stereo, car mats etc :D

If ill go like this, mine misses will just kick me out! :D

That's cool Shadow... I'd say it's gorgeous!!! congrats:D

I just picked uo mine misses from work, ussually it takes 3 mins and 2 milles. This time it took me about 20miles!

Weather so lovely this evening, so i just dropped down the roof, picked her up, and went to some backroads for "fun drive"

It just amazing :D

Btw thats mine thread on mx-ireland thread, photos on first post, and in second list updated ones aswell.

And you can see, how nice lads are in there!

http://srigley.powweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2033&sid=a31e66e72858735e55990809c2d773f2

Those athers cars are lovely, but you cant have so much fun in good weather like this! :D

I know i know its raining here for 98% in year. But Mazda got really good soft top roof. And on those 2% you wount have more fun than that! :D

• Advertisement

I'm not suprised you end up driving all over the place!! I used to drive mine with the roof down all the time. The heating is so good in them, keeps you nice and toastie. Its lovely to drive at night with the roof down too.... thats my favorite. Decision made i think!!!!! Thanks a mil :) I'm gonna lok at that thread now.... Cheers Shadow!

Hehe, no problem, hope to see you in mx5 club aswell :d. I am newbie there aswell.

We did got a wave of new people in to be honest, more will be even better :D

Get yourself mx5 as fast as you can, ofcourse dont be in the rush. Find yourself a really nice one, specially when theres plenty to choose from, becouse you cant get better summer then this year! You have to use it while you can! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 AÆ

The MX-5 probably is the best for ur price range.....But...if u have had one already it probably would be a good idea to try something else...u can always go back to one again.

Would i be right in saying that the next step up from an MX5 would be a S2000

Only 9k....they sure are getting cheaper...
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/S2000/Cabriole/200927194473964/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

wrote: »
    The MX-5 probably is the best for ur price range.....But...if u have had one already it probably would be a good idea to try something else...u can always go back to one again.

Would i be right in saying that the next step up from an MX5 would be a S2000

Only 9k....they sure are getting cheaper...
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/S2000/Cabriole/200927194473964/advert?channel=CARS

That's over twice the OP's budget though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

There's a Saab 9-3 Viggen for sale on adverts for 5k, i'm sure you'd get it for 4k. In my eyes the coolest car ever, I want it so bad.
    Infact don't buy it plz, that way hopefully in a years time when I can afford to have a second car I can buy it then! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/FTO/GPX/200927194474789/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif

Manual GPX, 200bhp, 0-60 in 6.5, gorgeous V6 MIVEC engine , some nice extras on that one too.

Nice motors. Like i said, OP has to just listen for her self :D

Thought if i whant a car for fun, it would be only RWD.

sorry for me FWD and FUN just not match :D

S2000 is a lovely car, but it is over the budget of OP.

If i would have more then i had, maybe i wouldnt go for mx5. but i am actually very happy that i had this budget and got mx5 myself!

The thing that there is so much after market stuff for mx5 makes it even far superior winner in mine eyes! you can get allmoust anything for it on internet for cheap as chips!

I use to pay 120eu for 1 tyre on mine previuos cars. now i bought 4x Toyo tyres for mx5 for 140eu... Its not best tyres on the market but its really good value for money!

I use to pay 120eu for 1 tyre on mine previuos cars. now i bought 4x Toyo tyres for mx5 for 140eu... Its not best tyres on the market but its really good value for money!

What size are they and where did you get them for 35 quid?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What size are they and where did you get them for 35 quid?

its standart mazda size 195/50/15 its an offer for 29£ each m8

camskill.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

4k would get you a nice mini, they are great fun to drive! Didn't find my brothers to uncomfortable and I'm saying that after a weekend of driving it and 1000miles.

How about an BMW E30? Either a 225i Sport or 318iS. Don't bother with the 320i as it's quite a under powered engine, about the same power as a 318iS but has a lovely sounding 6 cylinder. 318iS isn't much slower than the 325i but with smaller engine

that's good going, got the same ones (slightly better Proxes than those) 215/45/17 for 320 for 4 delivered, which I think was good.

195/50/15 has always been a cheap size, remember having 185/55/15 on a car 7 or 8 years ago, and 195/50/15 were about 30% cheaper.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    that's good going, got the same ones (slightly better Proxes than those) 215/45/17 for 320 for 4 delivered, which I think was good.

195/50/15 has always been a cheap size, remember having 185/55/15 on a car 7 or 8 years ago, and 195/50/15 were about 30% cheaper.

Thats why i love MX5 :D.

I know its not best tyres out there, but for this price i just could not ressist.

specially when mine back tyres are allmoust slicks :D

sorry to drag the thread off topic,
    Thats why i love MX5 .
    I know its not best tyres out there, but for this price i just could not ressist.
    specially when mine back tyres are allmoust slicks

I'm chuffed with the ones on mine, way better than the Yokohamas that came off. they're very grippy, but apparently they don't last too long. they're great value though.

I drive allmoust everyday, but i dont do big trips. so will do fine. and 140 quid for 4 tyres.... damn ill order a second set just to be spare :D

And it is preformance tyres. xixi :D

• Advertisement

Hey all.... thanks for all your tips!!!! I should have my money sorted for next week and I'm just dyin to head out and go test driving!!!!

I'm thinking that MX5 is my number one choice, then Ford Puma (which i ahdn't thought of until advised here :)) and still not sure after that! I have to either sell my current car or else trade it in so I'll be doing some serious bargaining!!!

Thanks so much for all yer help and keep posting new ideas :) x

No problem, we allways here to help :D

that will be 5.23eu including taxes :D

jozi wrote: »
    4k would get you a nice mini, they are great fun to drive! Didn't find my brothers to uncomfortable and I'm saying that after a weekend of driving it and 1000miles.

How about an BMW E30? Either a 225i Sport or 318iS. Don't bother with the 320i as it's quite a under powered engine, about the same power as a 318iS but has a lovely sounding 6 cylinder. 318iS isn't much slower than the 325i but with smaller engine

Wow you did 1000 miles in a mini in one weekend.... by saying 4k, I presume you mean the old minis? I drove one once before and thought the suspension was crap and really bouncy.... maybe I just drove a bad one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

if you like little sports cars id buy an 1992 mx5 before id buy a ford puma you cant beat the reliability of japanese car streets ahead of any 2002 ford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

***Cough*** might know where one's for sale under your budget
    VVVVVVVVV
    06072009141.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

first of all a panda is NOT fun to drive
    but how about a puma, tigra, copen, cappachino(sp?), mg f?

Hey everyone, Thanks for all you advice and tips.... I bought my new car this morning... a beautiful 1992 MX5. It's actually the same one as I had before!!! A friend found it for sale on the internet a while ago so now I'm reunited with my beloved MX5. The happiness and adrenilin buzz driving home is amazing!!!
    Thanks again :D:D:D

I'm just charging the camera battery so I'll post a picture up soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

brilliant! pics please!

Hey everyone, Thanks for all you advice and tips.... I bought my new car this morning... a beautiful 1992 MX5. It's actually the same one as I had before!!! A friend found it for sale on the internet a while ago so now I'm reunited with my beloved MX5. The happiness and adrenilin buzz driving home is amazing!!!
    Thanks again :D:D:D

I'm just charging the camera battery so I'll post a picture up soon!

Gratz! waiting for you on mx-ireland :D

Pictures of my lovely new car as promised! :) Im so delighted... grinning all day!

Cheers Shadow :) I have already registered with them, waitin to be activated. See ya there! :D

I have my ipod hooked up so driving all day with the roof down and some cool sounds.... LOVE IT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was just about to suggest this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Cortina/2LGL/200910192070360/advert?channel=CARS
    the coolest car on carzone

Lol!!!!! A funky ford cortina!!!!! :D:D:D

Pictures of my lovely new car as promised! :) Im so delighted... grinning all day!

its 100% sexy ;)! Nice color aswell!

Is it 1.6? Thought i wouldnt be a fan of auto :D. But i guess for you its advantage.

All the best luck! And smell you on mx5-ireland! ;)

Thanks shadow!
    yep its a 1.6. I never had an automatic until i got this car. I thought I wouldn't like it either but its fab! Its responsive so ya can cruise or floor it!! It has overdrive too though i never bother using that. But good to have all the same.
    I love it, you just glide along and it handles so well... an absolute pleasure to drive... and so beautiful too!
    I love the colour too... there aren't many around in this colour..it was discontinued after 92. Its a jap import. I am going to splash out and get some new speakers, for the doors and the headrests. Can't wait!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement