If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Theater Package

Options
  • 15-07-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

I'm looking to get a projector set up in my sitting room, with surround sound. I'm living in a small terraced duplex, so I have neighbours either side, and below the sitting room so I don't need anything too powerful. The sitting room itself is 5m x 3m. Anyway, I have decided on the Panasonic PT-AX200 projector, and I have also spotted a screen I'm gonna buy. That leaves me with 500 euro in the budget to get all of the following:

AV receiver
    Speakers
    Speaker cable (I think I'll need 50 meters)
    5m hdmi cable
    5m component cable
    5m video cable
    6m monitor cable

I had planned on buying the Onkyo TX-SR307 from Komplett for €249, and then buying the other bits and pieces on ebay etc, but a boardie replied to another thread suggesting that the 307 might not be what I want, and he suggested talking to you guys.

I should mention that I currently have an NTL MMDS digital box, an old dvd player, a hard disk media player (with composite output), and a wii that I want to hook up to the projector. The NTL and DVD boxes only have scart video outputs. I want to keep them hooked up to the (28" CRT) TV but also have them hooked up to the projector (via the receiver). The wii and hard disk thing don't need to be hooked up to both.

So, what can you do for me?!

I should also mention that I'm based in Galway so I'll need the stuff delivered here (or to my wifes parents house in Dublin if that helps cut costs).

Looking forward to your reply.

Ronan

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Ronan,

Thanks for the email and apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

Ok where to start? Firstly I can highly recommend the Onkyo 307 - for the money it really is a great piece of kit! and again the Pana projector is excellent - so I think you are off to a great start..

I can do the Onkyo TXSR307 at €239.99 no problem - however you may want to have a look at the Onkyo HT-S5205 pack which is a 307 receiver with a matched 5.1 speaker system which we can do at just €399.99 - see details here: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/HT-S5205.html

Or else you can just use the TXSR307 with the excellent Tannoy SFX 5.1 speaker package which we can do in black at €229.99.

In a package then we can offer the Onkyo HT-S5205 in black (307 + 5.1 speakers) plus: Philips SWV6434 Premium PXT 5 Mtr HDMI cable (retails at £39.95), 50 mtrs Symphony 100 105 strand OFC speaker cable * 50 Mtrs (retails at £34.50), Philips SWV3506 5 Mtr Component cable (retails at £19.95) - I can do this package at €489.99 delivered.

Or:

With the TXSR307 + Tannoy SFX 5.1 Black + SWV6434 HDMI+ 50 Mtrs Symphony 100 + SWV3506 Component cable - I can do this package delivered at €479.99.

These cables are all E X C E L L E N T quality and already heavily discounted!

I am not sure exactly what cables you mean by:

5m video cable
    6m monitor cable

I guess that you mean a VGA/VGA lead and a Composite lead - if so please just come back to me and I'll give you a decent price on both!

Thanks again for the post and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way.

All the above items are in stock and ready to go on a next day delivery basis,

Thanks again,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Hi John.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Can you clarify the price for the TXSR307 + Tannoy SFX 5.1 speaker package? You mentioned €229.99 but since the TXSR307 on it's own is €239.99, I'm guessing that's a typo.

To clarify, I think I did mean a 6m VGA/VGA lead (for plugging computer into back of projector). Now that I think about it, I'd like that cable to be 10 meters if possible. By 5m video, I meant a 5m composite lead, without the sound parts. Is it a phono cable in that case?!

Having looked a little closer at the NTL and DVD boxes, I will also need the following
    - an optical cable (to carry the sound from the back of the NTL box to the recceiver).
    - a coaxial cable (to carry the sound from the back of the DVD player to the recceiver).
    - 2 short phono cables (to bring picture from the ntl and dvd boxes to the receiver).

Note: The receiver, dvd player, and ntl box will all be together, so these can be short.

I'm just wondering about positioning the speakers when they arrive - do they come with any kind of bracket?

Finally, the TV, TV stand, DVD player, and NTL box are all silver. Do you have the TXSR307 and speakers available in silver also? It's not an abolute requirement but I think it will look better (and therefore keep my wife happier).

Thanks,

Ronan

Ronnie,Ro,

Thanks for the post!

Yep excuse the typo - the SFX and the 370 should be €429.99!

OK onto the other bits:

1. I can do you a decent VGA/VGA 15 Mtr for an addditional £29.95/€34.99

2. 5 Mtr Composite - yep thats a 75 Ohm Phono - I do a decent quality unboxed Cambridge Audio one which I can do at just £12.95/€14.99

3. Silver is not a problem on the Onkyo 307 (subject to stock at time of order of course!) however we only do the SFX 5.1 in Black (at least that would keep the Boss 50% happy???_

4. The SFX 5.1 Kit comes complete with little L shaped wall brackets.

5. I spotted your post on the general HE forum re the lead for the Pana projector - It's a bit of a weirdo one OK - from the pic I would guess it is the same as a Dell / Hitachi PC plug - and I think you will find it difficult to buy a long generic lead - however I would recommend that you try www.cpc.co.uk - if they don't have it - stop looking! Alternatively I would have no problem about splitting the cable and extending it once it is done professionally and you use a decent sealed IP rated box which you could secure above the projector (nicely out of sight) and then run a standard decent rated 3 core mains cable direct to your socket - if there is a ferrite sleeve on the original cable - please ensure to leave this intact.

Anyway that's enough John Mc ramblings - as ever apologies for taking so long to get back to you and drop me a line if I can assist with anything,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi again John.

We're almost there! I ran it by my wife, and surprisingly she likes the silver receiver with the black speakers, so here's the list of what I'd like:
    • Silver TX-SR307
    • SFX 5.1 Speaker package in black
    • 50m speaker cable
    • 5m hdmi cable
    • 5m component cable
    • 5m phono cable
    • 1 short optical cable (to carry the sound from the back of the NTL box to the receiver)
    • 1 short coaxial cable (to carry the sound from the back of the DVD player to the receiver)
    • 2 short phono cables (to bring picture from the ntl and dvd boxes to the receiver)
    I'll source a 10m VGA cable because 15 will be too long I reckon.

So, if you can get back to me with a price for all of that, including delivery to Galway (or Dublin if it's cheaper) that would be great. Also, can you let me know how I go about ordering everything - I'm guessing a phone call to your shop will do the trick?

Cheers!

Ronan

Hi Ronnie - See Women work in strange ways!

[*]Silver TX-SR307
    [*]SFX 5.1 Speaker package in black
    [*]50m speaker cable
    [*]5m hdmi cable
    [*]5m component cable
    [*]5m phono cable
    [*]1 short optical cable (to carry the sound from the back of the NTL box to the receiver)
    [*]1 short coaxial cable (to carry the sound from the back of the DVD player to the receiver)
    [*]2 short phono cables (to bring picture from the ntl and dvd boxes to the receiver)

Total price for above is just EURO €479.99 (that is actually cheaper than the retail price for the 307 & the SFX 5.1 on their own!!!) - and that is for all the above including mainly Philips PXT (their best) cables and Gale Symphony 100 speaker cables.

If that meets 'better 1/2' approval please just drop me a PM with your contact number and I'll get the guys to give you a call and sort out all the details for you.

All the above is in stock by the way and we can ship that today!

Thanks again for the post and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Op,

If in any doubt, check todays ibood.com and learn that richersounds offers you a great deal imho....

Hey inforfun. It's funny you mention the ibood offer because the guy who sits beside me in work spotted it this morning and showed me. I agree that the richersounds offer looks good.

John Mc - I sent you a PM with my contact number.

inforfun wrote: »
    Op,

If in any doubt, check todays ibood.com and learn that richersounds offers you a great deal imho....

Hey guys - thank's for the bood link - that's a fluke alright! and Phew - at least it makes our offer look good!

Thanks again and Ronnie - I'll get the Kenzer to call you from Belfast,

ATB and hope to chat soon,

John Mc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

johnmc wrote: »
    Hey guys - thank's for the bood link - that's a fluke alright! and Phew - at least it makes our offer look good!

John Mc

And dont forget the time it takes ibood to deliver. Could take a few weeks.
    They have some nice things every now and then but this isnt one of them compared to what you are offering.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.