Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend is currently in Sydney working for her Australian office for a year. They really like her there and have offered her a permanent contract from 2010. She also has her job here in Germany if she comes back but she is not happy with the work here and loves her job in Oz.

If she was to stay then I would move down there but what would my options be? I'll be 32 then, over 10 years IT experience. Is there a such thing as a partner visa, would I have to get a holiday visa or is there some other sort of skilled visa I could get? With the recession at the moment I presume it would be very difficult for a foreigner to get a permanent position there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

jester77 wrote: »
    My girlfriend is currently in Sydney working for her Australian office for a year. They really like her there and have offered her a permanent contract from 2010. She also has her job here in Germany if she comes back but she is not happy with the work here and loves her job in Oz.

If she was to stay then I would move down there but what would my options be? I'll be 32 then, over 10 years IT experience. Is there a such thing as a partner visa, would I have to get a holiday visa or is there some other sort of skilled visa I could get? With the recession at the moment I presume it would be very difficult for a foreigner to get a permanent position there.

Sounds to me like you have options both skilled and spouse, talk to a migration agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

Start collecting documentation to support your case as her de facto partner*

When she applies for a visa (presumably through her employer) you can be added to that application at no extra cost.

This way you will get the same visa as your gf but you won't be tied to any particular employer.

OF course, you could apply yourself (10 years exp, plus a recognised degree should qualify you), but that would cost you.

*Evidence that you live together, joint bank accounts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Boca wrote: »
    Start collecting documentation to support your case as her de facto partner*

When she applies for a visa (presumably through her employer) you can be added to that application at no extra cost.

This way you will get the same visa as your gf but you won't be tied to any particular employer.

OF course, you could apply yourself (10 years exp, plus a recognised degree should qualify you), but that would cost you.

*Evidence that you live together, joint bank accounts etc

We have a joint account going back 4 years and our rent contract. That should be enough for that part.

She already has the visa, her employer gave her a 4 or 5 year visa when she went down originally on the 1 year contract. Is it possible to get added it afterwards?

Sounds like a better way to go as opposed to having a visa tied to a particular job. Plus I wouldn't mind doing something different if I go down, I presume I would be tied to jobs that relate to my experience if I go for the skilled visa?

She already has the visa, her employer gave her a 4 or 5 year visa when she went down originally on the 1 year contract. Is it possible to get added it afterwards?

Yes, but as it's a seperate application there will be a cost involved
    Sounds like a better way to go as opposed to having a visa tied to a particular job. Plus I wouldn't mind doing something different if I go down, I presume I would be tied to jobs that relate to my experience if I go for the skilled visa?
    In theory, no, but I may be wrong.

All the information you require to submit an application should be on http://www.immi.gov.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

jester77 Is your girlfreind a PR or on a WHV ? For you to go the partner root she would have to sponcer you. She would have to be a PR in OZ prove she has the money to support you and a whole lot of things .

You might be better going to Skilled visa root.

As Boca said check out http://www.immi.gov.au/

Should have all the info you need .

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the immigration site, thanks for the link. It's definitely not a WHV visa she has, it's a 4 or 5 year visa that her company gave her. By reading that site it sounds like she has a PR visa.

Looks straightforward enough if that is the case. I can apply for a partner temporary visa and then after 2 years for the PR visa. Don't think the sponsorship would be too much of a problem, I presume that would mean that she would need to be able to financially support the 2 of us on her salary?

Ozeire wrote: »
    For you to go the partner root she would have to sponcer you. She would have to be a PR in OZ prove she has the money to support you and a whole lot of things .
    None of this is true

Details:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-family.htm#e

Application form:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1066.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

edit...my post was rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Just had a look at the immigration site, thanks for the link. It's definitely not a WHV visa she has, it's a 4 or 5 year visa that her company gave her. By reading that site it sounds like she has a PR visa.

Ok this would worry me, ask her what VISA she is on, its on her passport.

She does know your planning this;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

sounds like she employee sponsorship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Jester77 - you need to talk to an immigration agent or somebody in the immigration office. We can't tell you here what you are definitely entitled to or not entitled to.

I recommend you call them ASAP as the visa process can be very drawn out.

It's a 457 Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship that she has. The site doesn't give much info, just says that I am entitled to accompany her and have full work and study rights.

It will probably be a few months before any decision is made whether or not to move down. Are the visa applications very slow? I suppose I could go down on a holiday visa at the start if it's going to take a while to sort out.

Advertisement