Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls 21st Birthday Pressie (For Me)

Options
  • 15-07-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies, so I am currently working abroad and have been for the past 5 months. My 21st birthday was in May and my mother and my aunts have been pestering me to know what to get me before I get home (in August).

I'm not particularly fussed about presents and all that palaver, but my 21st bday came and went without a sign, no party no friends calling over, etc. (Sounds desperate but it's not, I wasn't depressed, I was super busy with work and other friends here) and Im thinking I'd like to mark it by asking for a grown up gift that I will love and remember forever as my 21st bday pressie. Maybe something a bit unusual that I wouldn't think of on my own.

What I'm looking for is suggestions here, so a bit on my tastes. I love make-up and shoes, but I feel one could get make-up or shoes for any old bday. I am an avid reader, but books, again, aren't very special. I enjoy foreign films, horse-riding, yoga, pottery and going out. I would like something physical though that I can pick up and look at in years to come and remember being young and single and 21!

My only ideas so far: a BT voucher, make-up, shoes, clothes, perfume at my fingertips. A waterstones voucher, mmmm books. A pair of Loubiton heels (droool, I'd obviusly chip in for those as well), a whole load of stuff from MAC.

So maybe if you ladies could give me some ideas of orignal gifts that you or a friend/sister received and loved? Sorry about the long post!

Cheers girls!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I got a locket from my brother engraved with my initials and the date of my 21st. I don't wear it very often but it's lovely to have.

I got money from my parents and, whilst that was most welcome, you don't have something to keep. I can't even remember what I bought with it now. However, if they give you money, you could make sure you spend it on something you can remember and treasure for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

The trick here is to get something timeless - jewellery, a good handbag or a nice classic pair of Louboutins (I invested 3 years ago and they are still perfect)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

I'll also be away for my 21st but I am going into town for the day with my sister and mam for a day of eating/shopping. I have been given a budget and I have my eye on a nice ring. Im then meeting up that evening for a dinner with friends and family.

I dont get to spend much time with my mam and sis so it will be nice and also I get the present I really want.

My dad also plants a tree in the garden for all our 'major' birthdays... although my sister seems to get one every year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I've been thinking about gift ideas for my own 21st!

It's in September and people have already started plaguing me, asking what I'd like.

Something I think might be a good idea is a bag? A decent, good quality one you'll have for years! Leather looks better as it ages, so it would definitely be worth the investment.

I've fallen in love with this Chanel one myself, but it's almost 2,000 euro - I showed it to my mum in the window of Brown Thomas ... She nearly battered me ;)

You could also try getting some jewelery? Go shopping and pick out some nice pieces? - I know a few friends who've gotten pearls and watches as presents. If you take care of them, you'll have them for years.

Christian Louboutin shoes are a cool idea too! I tried on a pair recently, sauntered round the shop in them for about half an hour!

If you are going to get a pair, two things to bear in mind ;

- Get a statement pair. What's the point buying hugely expensive CL black heels if tons of other brands do the same type of shoes!? Buy a pair that's original and worth the investment.

- Beware of fakes. CL shoes are only available at his boutiques and at selected stores. If they're not sold, they are returned back to the source - they're not flogged at discount price online - there's tons of websites offering his shoes for 200 euro and less... they're all fakes.

If you're interested in art, you could also consider the option of buying a piece of artwork? Painting for your room, future house / apartment :P Could be a cool idea!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

A painting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

If you are gonna go for jewellery and want something really special try get some custom made. It's not as expensive as you might think and may even work out cheaper. I do this, granted it's body jewellery and goes in piercings but still ends up cheaper than the stuff I see and it's exactly what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Yeah I think BT do Loubitons but I'm not sure, how much in euro would a pair retail at? Classic black stiletto? I'm thinking maybe the artwork is a good idea! I am a coffee snob and I have been harping on for years about a proper espresso machine, so my sister and aunt went halvsies on a gorgeus Nespresso machine for me before I left, I got to use a few times before I left and I love it so much, I've been dreaming about the coffees I'll have when I get back. Now that's the kind of gift that means something to me, something I've wanted for years but could never afford or justify.

I'm liking the idea of a classic bag, real leather, I've long had an unrequited love affair with the Chloe paddington bag (big padlock) but sadly I think the price is pushing it.

I got a beautiful floating diamond necklace and ring for my 18th and while I love them, I don't often get the chance to wear them.

All good ideas so far ladies, keep em coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

BT do stock them. The black classic Louboutain's are about €520. Some did however go into sale but they aren't the basic Louboutain's, just the seasonal ones!

I got a Luella Bartley bag from all my guy friends collectively, and I adore it, its nice to have one good bag!
    If a Chloe is pushing it, why not a gorgeous Mulberry or Marc Jacobs?

I think jewellery is a good idea, as its something you'll always have. Or a special jewellery box?

I like the painting idea, its original!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Will wrote: »
    If you are gonna go for jewellery and want something really special try get some custom made. It's not as expensive as you might think and may even work out cheaper.

That's a cool idea! That way, the piece would be totally unique :)

Mackleton wrote: »
    Yeah I think BT do Loubitons but I'm not sure, how much in euro would a pair retail at? Classic black stiletto?

They do! Prices start at 425, from what I can recall. Classic black pair is 525.
    I'm in love with them. I tried on the black suede stiletto pair about a month ago. They're amazing!

Mackleton wrote: »
    I'm liking the idea of a classic bag, real leather, I've long had an unrequited love affair with the Chloe paddington bag (big padlock) but sadly I think the price is pushing it.

Watch out for sales - A girl in work got a bag she'd been lusting after for ages at half price last week! You could also check out vintage shops, might be able to find some great deals on designer bags, or even find some classic pieces!

Something I've been considering doing is going on a photoshoot with some friends and possibly family. I'd love to have some professional photos taken, that I can have as keepsakes forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

I'll be 18 next month so I'm asking for a charm bracelet, that way at Christmas and other birthdays people can just buy me more charms to add.

and it means people can get you a charm that reminds you of them, or something to do with a hobby you have. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Going by the budget you seem to be working with, I'd probably go with jewellery.

Shoes and handbags will eventually go out of style, no matter how "classic" you think it is. Failing that they'll at least get worn out eventually.

A pair of diamond studs that you'll have forever and can even pass on to someone would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

A painting

I think this is a great idea - wish I'd thought of it! 30th birthday coming up in 2 years time, must remember this.

Advertisement