Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting NTL/UPC Digi + Broadband

Options
  • 15-07-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm a digital + broadband customer with NTL - fairly happy, especiall the BB. Am getting the same install in a family member's house - only difference is NTL comes in at roof, in to attic, (DIY) split and down behind the plasterboard in 2 properly installed TV points (house was done up recently).

Will NTL insist on bringing in a new connection to install digital TV+BB in the front room, or will they use the existing connection. If it's the former it'll look terrible as TV not near window and may not proceed with it.

I know signal strength is pretty good in existing socket as tested with my digitial box and works fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What they usually do is put a new connector on each end of installed co-ax, and a new box at the TV end, and then conduct a signal level/QOS test with a handheld device. Provided that test passes, it's fine - they'll continue using that cable. Be aware that they'll proably get rid of the attic split you refer to, and just put a straight pass-through - you can re-instate the split afterwards if you wish.

About 2 years ago I moved into a house of a 1980s vintage, and got UPC installed - i requested that they use the co-ax embedded in the wall from the attic to the sitting-room (where I had put a splitter), instead of the previous UPC installation in the house which used surface-mounted cabling down the front facade, to the sitting room. We had no problems, and I was able to take the old co-ax off the facade - happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Dardania wrote: »
    What they usually do is put a new connector on each end of installed co-ax, and a new box at the TV end, and then conduct a signal level/QOS test with a handheld device. Provided that test passes, it's fine - they'll continue using that cable. Be aware that they'll proably get rid of the attic split you refer to, and just put a straight pass-through - you can re-instate the split afterwards if you wish.

About 2 years ago I moved into a house of a 1980s vintage, and got UPC installed - i requested that they use the co-ax embedded in the wall from the attic to the sitting-room (where I had put a splitter), instead of the previous UPC installation in the house which used surface-mounted cabling down the front facade, to the sitting room. We had no problems, and I was able to take the old co-ax off the facade - happy days.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Update - no hassle. Went to the coax plate in the wall, unscrewed, fitted NTL fatter plate - both broadband and digi working within 5 mins. No talk of splits or any such.

Advertisement