Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public attitude towards shooting

Options
  • 15-07-2009 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Just wondering what people expiereances are of friends, family or public towards them and shooting.
    I recently hurt my ankle while out shooting and was on crutches for a few days and when people asked what happened I said I twisted it while out shooting.
    The vast majority of peoples attitudes towards me was negative and a "Serves you right" remark was quite common after they heard i was out shooting. :eek:

Is this common? Most people apart from my close friends dont know I still shoot, but i have been shooting for the best part of 11 years.
    I thought men especially would have some sympathy or even an interest in the hobby, but only one of my mates shoot's.

What are peoples expiereances of the publics attitudes of their hobby

Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

From a bout of fisticuffs in school 25 years ago down to outright sympathy.:D
    Generally two types of reactions..If you say you are a gunowner,rather than a hunter,either fasination and intense curisoity or they end the conversation.But recently with the handgun ban,alot of folks when it is explained ,simply say that this is completly daft,and what is that lot in the Dail thinking.
    Hunting,immediate assumption is foxhunting on horseback for some reason,and that is usually derogoraty,until I say with a gun..Then they become immediately polite and intrested...Wonder why??:D Less of the "bambi killers" comments these days...maybe the "greener" greens are getting to realise that this is anatural way of perserving natures balance?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Have to say i was shocked at the outright disgust of some people toward shooting, I made it clear I only shoot vermin, grey crows,Pigions, Fox, rabbit etc Made no difference.

Has our population gone all soft and politicaly correct :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

On the RTE website recently the new firearms act was reported under the crime and courts section, not sport where I looked first! This kind of gives a snapshot of the publics general opinion of firearms.

I have also been told the old wives tale that "The devil loads a gun every seven years"
    No some egit leaves a gun loaded every seven years was my responce!!!

Some people seem to think that guns are inherently evil for some reason and telling them about cars and road death statistics doesnt make a blind bit of difference.

What bugs me more is people who think or say "and why the hell to you do that?" Because its my sport I dont ridicule whoever for their obsession with football and whether one city in england with foreign players beats another city in england with foreign players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

No issues as such as most of my Friends are shooters. The biggest anti would be my sister she was always a save the whale type.

I dont advertise that i am a shooter unless people ask me what my hobbies are. I remember when I workd in the public service my boss asked me for a lend of a larsen trap to catch some magpies.

My standard answer to somebody who asked "How could you shoot a pheasant there so cute" was

Because they taste delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

mac80 wrote: »
    Has our population gone all soft and politicaly correct :)

Short answer; Yes.

If I mention shooting to a lot of peeps they usually don't understand anything about it. It's cruel, gratuitous etc.

I always counter with the cruelty, waste and environmental damage inherent in the beef/poultry/pork industries. This just winds them up even more as most have never even thought about that end of it:D

I think it's got something to do with the increased urbanisation of our population - losing touch with our roots kinda thing.

I offered a few people rabbit and pigeon and some of them practically wretched at the thought! And then got on the blower for a chinese!

There's some pretty self-righteous heads out there. Combine this with absolute ignorance and you've got great potential for idiocy of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

raptorman wrote: »
    On the RTE website recently the new firearms act was reported under the crime and courts section, not sport where I looked first! This kind of gives a snapshot of the publics general opinion of firearms.
    Because it's not the firearms bill, but the criminal justice bill unfortunately.

There was a thread on this subject some time ago maybe even a couple of years ago and it went to several pages. Well worth looking it up if you've got the time as it might give a snapshot of what attitudes were like then and if they've changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

rrpc wrote: »
    Because it's not the firearms bill, but the criminal justice bill unfortunately.

There was a thread on this subject some time ago maybe even a couple of years ago and it went to several pages. Well worth looking it up if you've got the time as it might give a snapshot of what attitudes were like then and if they've changed.

Cheers for pointing that out rrpc I forgot it was part of the criminal justice bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Incidents in recent years, where some people run amok with guns does not help the image, or any news in press which involves guns & shooting. Unfortunately people who don't know about shooting & hunting can sometimes be quite ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was at an organised duck shoot in west Cork a number of years back when I was approached by a young English woman who began to hurl all sorts of abuse at me calling me every name under the sun and some I had never heard of!

She called to all the guns that evening giving the same to everybody else. Two comments towards her are well worth noting. Firstly she called one of the lads a "terrorist" - his response was "you're calling me a terrorist and your country is blowing up women and kids in Iraq?" (the incident with this anti happened the same week as UK/US invasion of Iraq). That went down like a lead balloon.

She then called the local Gardí and wished to make a complaint that one of the lads try to shoot her! The guards turned up and their response was "with all due respect, if he did try to shoot you, I dont think you would be standing here talking about it so go home and stop wasting our time!"

The one, and only, bad experience I have had with a member of the public while out shooting. Most people I mention it to are curious and don't seem to mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most people I know that dislike shooting have a chip on their shoulder about animal cruelty, but they all like eating meat. I doubt most even care how the animal was killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are actually a whole load that have talked about it at one time or another in passing, right from the first thread on the return of pistols to Ireland - but I can only find this one that started off looking at it directly, is that the one you meant?

Some of those posts now make for depressing reading even if they were accurate predictons :(

I do remember shooting in an old derelict yard/estate years ago and came across a guy who was out walking ( Although trespassers are not allowed, I have written permission )
    We said hello and I walked on and the crows were streaming in overhead ( Autumn evening shooting ) I shot one and waited for more. then all of a sudden I hear an awful racket, he had come back and he was beating the galvanise steel on a shed with his waliking stick, and shouting saying I was a bad bastard for killin the crows.
    With all the racket he made he drove 2 jackdaws out so i emptied both barrels and nailed the 2 of them as he stood behind me.
    I told him I had permission to be here and he didnt, He then got the message and left.

The country has got somewhat urbanised, somebody has to control vermin or protect livestock/crops.
    A lot of young people somewhat insulated from reality and just go with what the latest trend/opinion is

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

It all depends on your reply when people ask you.
    if you just say that you like shooting it upsets the bunny lovers and animal rights folks.
    if you specify that you target shoot or clay shoot then you get a different response.
    Most males will be interested and probably want to see your guns but most women are not interested,although there are many women who shoot in all diciplines and enjoy it.
    Just seems to be the cute furry animal thing that people dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Rarely had a bad comment but usually either curiousity such as 'why would you do that it must be dangerous'. My usual reply is that it is not as dangerous as Hurling, Rugby, Martial Arts, Boxing, Skiing, Windsurfing, Rally Driving or jumping out of a plane at 10,000 feet when I don't have to !

That normally helps it sink in for them.

Sometimes, even though I don't hunt, I can also get that 'you must murder defenceless furry animals look'. When I explain that Ms Piggy, Ermintrude and Larry the Lamb have as much right to life as Bambi, they tend to see that point as well. I also point out that I spent my early years working in a meat factory and if I was given a choice I'd rather be shot out in the open than herded into a pen and have a bloody humane killer pressed against my head as I listen to the screams of my friends around me trying to jump over the steel barriers (oh memories) and watching the ones ahead of me being skinned after they've been whacked.

Sorry to those of you having your din din buts that's how burgers are made ! For you veggies - that's how leather jackets and shoes are made - For yuppie veggies that how the seats on your Range Rover Sport get covered !

Sparks wrote: »
    There are actually a whole load that have talked about it at one time or another in passing, right from the first thread on the return of pistols to Ireland - but I can only find this one that started off looking at it directly, is that the one you meant?

Some of those posts now make for depressing reading even if they were accurate predictons :(

This one, which ended up locked :(

Attitude to guns

by a young English woman who began to hurl all sorts of abuse at me calling me every name under the sun and some I had never heard of!

Ah !!that explains alot.
    Young [dont know any better] English[Says it all......]Woman [more than enough said..]:)

Put it all together total ignorant fool.:DScorn not their simplicity.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ancienthunter

Well it seems exactly like I suspected and the same as the link to the article I posted (HOPLOPHOBIA EXPLORED ) and was removed/closed. I do not know why it was removed/closed????.
    I did state that it related only in a certain way and yet that was not recieved. Therefore I am leaving this forum due to not being able to debate or talk to anyone without being pestered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

the vast majority of over zealous anti-hunting nuts will tell you that its ok to be pro choice.In other words "dont kill that wittle cute fuzzie wuzzie kill the unborn human
    Go figure????

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

4gun wrote: »
    the vast majority of over zealous anti-hunting nuts will tell you that its ok to be pro choice.In other words "dont kill that wittle cute fuzzie wuzzie kill the unborn human
    Go figure????
    I think abortion and hunting are some what unrelated and quite far removed from each other and should indeed stay like that. A humans choice to hunt and kill a wild animal is very different from a womans choice on how she does or doesn't terminate a pregnancy. I think to draw a line between the two is provocative and a little dangerous.

Well it seems exactly like I suspected and the same as the link to the article I posted (HOPLOPHOBIA EXPLORED ) and was removed/closed. I do not know why it was removed/closed????.
    Did you not read Sparks' exlanation for closing the thread? Seemed fairly obvious to me why it was closed.
    I did state that it related only in a certain way and yet that was not recieved. Therefore I am leaving this forum due to not being able to debate or talk to anyone without being pestered.
    That article was so far removed from real psychiatric medicine as to be laughable. But flounce away if that's your preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

To the OP, how's the ankle now? I hope it gets better soon by the way. It's my opinion that it's no harm to be a little careful who you tell about your hobbies. It's better not to advertise you're a gun owner, as you don't want the local gangster knowing where there's easy access to a firearm... In general, I imagine most urbanites will never understand country sports. They want their meat shrink wrapped and would rather forget that milk actually comes from a cows tit... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Very few people know i have the gun, but those who do are kind of interested about it. What do you shoot? etc. Best thing is to say vermin and not bunny's as this gets a 'sure what harm do they do' response. I find people who know i shoot to actually be fairly interested from an ignorance of the sport point of view. Ps every farmer that found out i have the gun have gave me permissions. Didn even have to ask:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

"Ah !!that explains alot.
    Young [dont know any better] English[Says it all......]Woman [more than enough said..]"

Tsk tsk tsk! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A mate of mine explained to me one day a while back that people should be required to slaughter one of each animal they plan to eat for the year in order to obtain a meat licence for each. That way the masses of urban gob$hites who think meat grows in polystyrene and cling-film will get an education or starve, either way the problem is solved. :D

I've offered people eggs from my chickens in the past only for them to refuse; they think the eggs in Tescos are somehow processed and therefore different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

LB6 wrote: »
    "Ah !!that explains alot.
    Young [dont know any better] English[Says it all......]Woman [more than enough said..]"

Tsk tsk tsk! :-)

I have to say, I don't agree with general negative comments like this either,
    based on someone being in this case Young,English and a Woman, in the situation described the individual must be judged on their actions, not an entire group dismissed out of hand, there are young, English women that are pro hunting and countryside sports also.

This is the same as saying,
    Hunter and Target shooting sport, law-abiding firearms owner,
    Hunter[murderer]and Target shooting sport[training for criminals]law-abiding firearms owner[potential criminal and or,supplier of firearms to criminals]

Now would a reasonable person that supported and upheld the principles of Justice and Equality, put forward such a theory or make such a claim based on anecdotal evidence.........................................

Dvs.

Ankle is a good bit better, Scope took a knock and will have to be re zeroe it a bit.
    Only close friends would know I shoot but with me being on crutches the question came up as to what happened me.

Should be back out tomo evening to zero the scope again and try for a few bunnys ;)

I have to say, I don't agree with general negative comments like this either,

Ah go away and get,beg borrow or buy a SENSE OF HUMOUR will ya?FCS!!
    There is enough political correctness in this world now and with people going around looking to be offended on behalf of others that it is becoming absolutely stupid.Actually any normal sane person would be puking buckets
    I thought itwas hillarious this young female British aniimal rights loon going off telling us "thick paddies" how to lead our lives..Young and British.[Check out how many fit that category in the anti brigade leadership over here.I can think of at least three off the top of my head,while not young ,certainly are Brits and women.]
    Where and who the Hell did she think she was??Lady Muck?Wonder what the UK response would have been??More like" FK off Paddy"and then a trip down to the local Plod shop for harrassin an intimidatin"

[/QUOTE]
    based on someone being in this case Young,English and a Woman, in the situation described the individual must be judged on their actions, not an entire group dismissed out of hand, there are young, English women that are pro hunting and countryside sports also.
    Yeah..Singular.Not plural...So what this women bit???

This is the same as saying,
    Hunter and Target shooting sport, law-abiding firearms owner,
    Hunter[murderer]and Target shooting sport[training for criminals]law-abiding firearms owner[potential criminal and or,supplier of firearms to criminals]

Yup,thats antigun nutter and animalrights loon logic for you...AND???
    Now would a reasonable person that supported and upheld the principles of Justice and Equality, put forward such a theory or make such a claim based on anecdotal evidence.........................................

Yup in case you have missed the great handgun ban debate here Thats indeed what happened via our own "Justice&Equality" Minister.Anecodatal evidence aplenty.

Anyways on all this I think another fine Irish American sums it up well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAazd7VgrBE
    Caution sensitive PC people might need therapy after viewing and will no doubt be offended.:rolleyes:

Did you not read Sparks' exlanation for closing the thread? Seemed fairly obvious to me why it was closed.

That article was so far removed from real psychiatric medicine as to be laughable. But flounce away if that's your preference.

jesus I did'nt write the thing, just thought it might be interesting to talk about, yes maybe you are right. but as usual the thread was closed before I could post anything.

Had some people not being jumpin on their high horse I may have not inclined to ask you the following, are you a Psychiatrist. If you are I am sincerely sorry.
    Also can you explain why many many people when they are given the facts about firearms still choose to have their own opinion based on a dislike. Is it a phobia ? don't know, don't care, I am not going to ride a high horse over it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jesus I did'nt write the thing, just thought it might be interesting to talk about, yes maybe you are right. but as usual the thread was closed before I could post anything.
    Because it was against the forum's charter. Everyone else here follows it, if you don't want to, well, tough. To quote the movie, you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    Also can you explain why many many people when they are given the facts about firearms still choose to have their own opinion based on a dislike.
    Nope. Can't explain why four-year-olds say broccoli is icky without trying it either, but I don't go about making up silly words to describe it in an attempt to make them sound foolish.

• Advertisement

snowflake? whatever? haha, Did'nt realise that would be against the charter. I did point out it relates in certain ways. However I am now getting tried of your reviewing and censorship of everything incase it be exposed to the Ignorance of a reporter who puts legs on stories, Ignorance is Ignorance and it will never effect the way I talk or express myself. Iam trying to leave but do not know how to remove my registration, please do it for me, Its only causing me hardship being here. So this is goodbye. Finally I would like to say again I do not know why you personally bashed me sparks, you can have the forum all to yourself.

Advertisement