Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public attitude towards shooting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

I rarely had a negative response from people when I told them I do a bit of shooting. Not when I eat what I kill anyway. Some of the city dwellers do object to me foxhunting(the mounted kind) though.
    It is getting worse the further people are removed from reality. A friend of mine came down from Dublin a few weeks ago to pick out a lamb he wanted to buy and have slaughtered. His other half who loves eating lamb broke down crying and refused to let him pick one. She would rather get some of the cellophane wrap chops from tesco. He also asked if he could shoot a rabbit to cook and she completely flipped at the thought of it.
    To be honest most realise that the vast majority hunters eat what they kill and go shooting more to get out in nature and see their dogs working than for the killing.

Its lads like this one who posted recently in the animals and pet forums that people object most to. Although I think he might be there on a wind up.
    Cork24 wrote: »
    ill tell you why people would want one, is not to think their Tough, Thats So PitBulls.... Saying that their are some Dump Owners out their, Walking my dogs while a owner of a Pitbull was walking his pitbull down the Street with out a LEAD!!!! :eek: A PitBull come on!!! Even tho i dont blame the Dog itself for having a bad name but they are a Strong breed that need a good Dog Owner

I'm Thinking about getting a Wolf Hybrid Why you may ask?

Well first off, I am into game Shooting and Hunting. as they are the Closet dog to the Wolf, It makes them a Great Hunter.. German Shepherds Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes were Crossed Bred With a Gray Wolf as this 3 dogs are Cousins to the Wolf. I had a Malamute, Was a Great Hunter, took down anything it could get at, I also had a Norwegian Elkhound that was a great dog, I have a Lab for game Shooting

SO i would like to get my hands on a Wolf Hybrid to give it a good at the hunting would their nose be as better then a Lab for Shooting Birds or evening taking down a Deer or catch Foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nope. Can't explain why four-year-olds say broccoli is icky without trying it either, but I don't go about making up silly words to describe it in an attempt to make them sound foolish

Maybe because Col Cooper got tired of long winded quotes from Sigmund Freud on the subject???:D:D

In General Introduction to Psychoanalysis , Freud wrote, "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Maybe because Col Cooper got tired of long winded quotes from Sigmund Freud on the subject???:D:D
    In General Introduction to Psychoanalysis , Freud wrote, "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
    Maybe you should rethink that Grizzly, as Freud never said that.
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud#Misattributed
    This is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:

Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of — in any event, he does not cite — other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership.

Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages: alt.quotations, uk.politics.guns, talk.politics.guns, can.talk.guns , etc.

And yes, I did dig through General Introduction to Psychoanalysis to confirm that - you can find it online. (And when he says "fear of weapons", he's more talking about long pointy sticks and oversized kitchen knives than he is about firearms).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

As a target shooter I'd always let people know that I shoot targets rather than animals. I think the public do think shooters are all out killing pink bunnies.
    Funny, the shooters I do know that hunt are probably the most eco-friendly, animal loving folks I know. They put money into the environment and encourage proper management of the land.... unlike many of our tree-hugging friends.

As always I think shooters need to handle their PR a bit better, how many clubs still allow members to turn up in army fatigues etc. and what idiot has blasted so many traffic signs around the country with their shotgun!!!

Hmmm this could go to a many difference of opinions type thread.So to prevent this going silly.Okay ,fair enough Sparks you found a differing opinion on what Freud said,he didnt say weapons excluded firearms.
    And this is another one of these type is the 2nd amendment a singular or collective right??[At the moment a singular right.]
    Or wether Adolf Hitler banned gun ownership in 1935 in Germany.[He didnt]
    So...whatever you think is right.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Funny, the shooters I do know that hunt are probably the most eco-friendly, animal loving folks I know. They put money into the environment and encourage proper management of the land.... unlike many of our tree-hugging friends.
    +1 on that
    As always I think shooters need to handle their PR a bit better, how many clubs still allow members to turn up in army fatigues etc. and what idiot has blasted so many traffic signs around the country with their shotgun
    Depends on what kind of a shoot you are talking about...

Agreed 100% about the idiots who shoot up the signs.Got to wonder what Twat is doing this???:mad: Is there a specific breed of these down around Cork,Clare ,Tipp North and Limerick counties???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I think abortion and hunting are some what unrelated and quite far removed from each other and should indeed stay like that. A humans choice to hunt and kill a wild animal is very different from a womans choice on how she does or doesn't terminate a pregnancy. I think to draw a line between the two is provocative and a little dangerous.

sorry to draw strange parallels,but let me clarify
    I respect a persons right to choose even though i personally disagree with what they're choosing.But you can be absolutely sure that these people would want to take away my right to hunt or fish because they think its barbaric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

mcguiver wrote: »
    As a target shooter I'd always let people know that I shoot targets rather than animals. I think the public do think shooters are all out killing pink bunnies.

As always I think shooters need to handle their PR a bit better, how many clubs still allow members to turn up in army fatigues etc. and what idiot has blasted so many traffic signs around the country with their shotgun!!!

Mcg. Firstly I don't have a problem with what you said ...But why have we (as a society)become so worried about inadvertly offending people by what we say.Political correctiveness is an other way to kill free speech
    be nice to go back to calling a spade ...a spade,and i'm not talking about black people, I'm not racist in any shape or form but if you misintrepret what i say.. I wont apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

mcguiver wrote: »

I agree with some of your points like the shooting of signs etc,this gives us all a bad name.
    In relation to the cammo/army style clothing,
    Hunters need cammo so not to be seen too easily,its not a wanna be rambo thing or anything like that.
    If they turn up to a clayshoot or target session and wear the gear its probably because the clothing is comfortable/warm/waterproof etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I know what ye mean, but it is the Rambo (wannabes) that I'm referring too...although I never remember Stalone with a beer belly!

I've met too many of them on the shooting scene.... you know the guy in your club that got the big pistol because "he always wanted one"... anyway I'm wandering off topic. My point was that the public have a certain perception of shooters, probably helped by the media and many overseas events where gun owners have lost the plot.

Again it's down to our own PR, most shooters I know are:middle aged, profesionals or retired professionals. Decent tax paying citizens who bend over backward to get their licence and are very safety conscious...I'm not sure if thats what the general public see. ... anyway, if the rain stays off for a while, I'm headin down the club...happy shootin!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly, your little PC video is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

It seems i'd get more stick from the shooting community for being a young english politically correct vegetarian woman than i do for being a shooter from anyone else. :)
    People tend to just ask what i shoot, then go "huh" and leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

emollett wrote: »
    People tend to just ask what i shoot, then go "huh" and leave it.
    Mainly that's because you keep saying "370" :D

Advertisement