Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rape lane??

Options
  • 15-07-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

where is rape lane exactly?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If you go out the exit of UCD beside roebuck castle, where law tutorials were held, its twenty or thirty yards down the hill. It has a gate on it and closes in the evening time.

Eh... I'm obviously missing something with this thread. Can someone explain the name 'Rape Lane', is it actually called that or is it another name for the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It has an allegedly seedy past and it was given this name I think as a nickname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 offaly

yeah why exactly is it called rape lane...??

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

It's where they used to grow rapeseed, well that's what I like to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

There's an alternative one between the carpark and Glenomena at the Clinton Institute side. It has two path ways to both sides that lead into a thick growth of trees and both have a fence with doors removed on them.

It's quite odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

offaly wrote: »
    where is rape lane exactly?????

potential rapist? or rapeee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This must be a good thread if a trinner is posting...

So the legend goes, that rape lane was the scene of heroic action by the UCD homeless chap (the aul fella who looks like Richard Harris) who saved two ladies from potential rape, and hence the name, rape lane! Apparently, this is why he gets free tea and food etc... in the SU shop and restaurant. Again, this is all that I've heard on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Since Rape Lane is a treasured part of UCD's heritage, like the UCD Bum or the secret Lake, I'm leaving this open.
    However, I expect people to behave themselves when discussing the matter of on-campus rapes. (I understand that there has actually been rapes in the lane, although that could be rumours)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭StopWhispering

Since Rape Lane is a treasured part of UCD's heriage, like the UCD Bum or the secret Lake, I'm leaving this open.
    However, I expect people to behave themselves when discussing the matter of on-campus rapes. (I understand that there has actually been rapes in the lane, although that could be rumours)

Here here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Since Rape Lane is a treasured part of UCD's heriage, like the UCD Bum or the secret Lake, I'm leaving this open.

I second that, history and culture aside there's a slippery slope which could lead to a load of bannings and a generally unhappy thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

On the maps it says it's open mon-fri 7am-4pm, it has an automatic gate near the film school end but ain't seen that working in a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

betafrog wrote: »
    He doesn't get free tea, food etc., he gets discounted food and such but he doesn't get it for free, have seen him handing over money for food on numerous occasions...

He does get free food and tea. He gets a free lunch and tea in the restaurant, and a free tea and sandwich from the shop. He gets these at the same time everyday. Obviously people give him money to buy a sandwich at other times in the day, this is probably when you see him hand over money.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Lets get this banfest started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

stop wrote: »
    On the maps it says it's open mon-fri 7am-4pm, it has an automatic gate near the film school end but ain't seen that working in a while...

Is it that woodland track which leads out to the real world across the massive set of pitches beside the sports centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Go out to the back of the library and turn right, heading along the road that brings you back to the student centre. Take the little roadway up to the left after Belgrove and then take the laneway to the left just after the film institute. You're now on rape lane and it'll bring you out to Roebuck Road, directly opposite Harlech Grove estate. Used to live in there so know the lane very very well. never liked the name rape lane though, we used to just call it the mucky lane. Which is was. Incredibly mucky actually.

I've heard all the different myths about it and the UCD bum but i'd love to know the real story. And what the real story is with that guy too. I've seen him getting free fags and food (sausage rolls and the like) in a couple of different shops around - spar on bird avenue and spar on woodbine road. Plus where does he sleep??? In first year I used to be in the science block early in the morning and he used to be lying under the stairs but surely he wasn't let stay there overnight? Friend of mine called St Vincent De Paul or some crowd like that but i don't think anything ever came of it. He tried talking to him to but couldn;t get any kind of reply from him at all. Poor guy, he's probably been starved of conversation for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Poor guy, he's probably been starved of conversation for years.

The girl he stopped from getting raped didn't get away unharmed; her voice box was actually destroyed in the attack. So he donated his own voice box to her. Nice man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

The girl he stopped from getting raped didn't get away unharmed; her voice box was actually destroyed in the attack. So he donated his own voice box to her. Nice man

I've also heard that when he yawns it sounds like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around inside a barrel….and he doesn’t have any eyebrows at all, except on Saturdays

....or is that something/someone else i'm thinking of.....?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Go out to the back of the library and turn right, heading along the road that brings you back to the student centre. Take the little roadway up to the left after Belgrove and then take the laneway to the left just after the film institute. You're now on rape lane and it'll bring you out to Roebuck Road, directly opposite Harlech Grove estate. Used to live in there so know the lane very very well. never liked the name rape lane though, we used to just call it the mucky lane. Which is was. Incredibly mucky actually.

I've heard all the different myths about it and the UCD bum but i'd love to know the real story. And what the real story is with that guy too. I've seen him getting free fags and food (sausage rolls and the like) in a couple of different shops around - spar on bird avenue and spar on woodbine road. Plus where does he sleep??? In first year I used to be in the science block early in the morning and he used to be lying under the stairs but surely he wasn't let stay there overnight? Friend of mine called St Vincent De Paul or some crowd like that but i don't think anything ever came of it. He tried talking to him to but couldn;t get any kind of reply from him at all. Poor guy, he's probably been starved of conversation for years.

Apparently he lives near Clonskeagh - Friarsland, or Friars something. My friend lived in that area last year.

Also my friend seen him open his wallet in the SU shop once and he had a couple of €50s in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

He does get free food and tea. He gets a free lunch and tea in the restaurant, and a free tea and sandwich from the shop. He gets these at the same time everyday. Obviously people give him money to buy a sandwich at other times in the day, this is probably when you see him hand over money.
    He's Hugh Brady's secret twin brother.

I never heard the UCD-Bum rape incident took place on Rape Lane though, I think it's just called that because it's isolated and badly lit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Ah rape lane. when i was younger i used to hang out in ucd campus and i remember rape lane. Pretty freaky place to walk down at nite. Feels like the trees are watching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Peleus wrote: »
    Feels like the trees are watching you.

Did any of the trees look like this by any chance?

Gary-Glitter2.jpg

Advertisement