Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underground Electronic Scene

• 15-07-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Okay, I'm pretty much an Electronic/Dance music newbie, and right now I'm only into the mainstream acts. However, recently I began looking into some of my favourite artists' older stuff, back when they weren't as well known, and some of it is pretty sweet in the sense that they weren't refined to one style of music.

If anybody knows any top underground artists to start me off, I would appreciate it. I'm not looking for anything too hardcore. Maybe something and deep and house with repetive vocals? Or whatever, doesn't really bother me. I'm upfor anything now. Also, if anybody knows any good Drum 'n' Bass stuff? I love the DnB feel to Pendulum and would love to delve into the genre further.

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

since you mentioned pendulum, you might like the jump up style of dnb, its the closest style i could compare with pendulum.
    • DJ Hazard
    • Generation Dub
    • The Taxman
    • Twisted Invididual
    • Zen
    • Distorted Minds
    • Clipz
    • Crystal Clear
    • Dillinja

There is so much jump up, couldn't list everything here ;)
    If the music above bores you after a while, you might want to try stuff a bit harder.
    • Limewax
    • SPL
    • Raiden
    • Tech Itch
    • Current Value
    • Donny
    • Propaganda
    • Counterstrike
    • Evol Intent

again, alot of the same
    Drumfunk is another style which incorporates lots of breakbeat style.
    • Breakage
    • Equinox
    • Paradox
    • Fanu
    • Macc
    • Fracture And Neptune
    ..oldskool stuff

dj code has some good mixes, haven't here this one yet but probably good
    you could download mixes from http://www.dnb-sets.de/ or www.dnbsets.net/ and download/listen through various mixes, see what you like.
    drum and bass forums are also good source of material.

[cm]tyranny on the board here also has a show, not sure of some mixes online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭CyanRain

Really loving the first track. Checking out some of the other stuff now too. Thanks for the collection, I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I'm being lazy and cut and pasting from my facebook music info, I'll come back and make this more useful when I have time. This is the more mainstream of electro/electro-house side of things. 2 Many DJ's, Soulwax, Daft Punk, Vitalic, Simian Mobile Disco, SebastiAn, MSTRKRFT, DJ Shadow, Calvin Harris, Faithless, Crystal Castles, Justice, fukkk offf, Freemasons, Milton Jackson, Chromeo, Dr. Lektroluv, Digitalism, Deadmau5, The Bloody Beetroots, Tiga, Boys Noize, Hot Chip, Zombie Nation, Booka Shade, Kraftwerk, You Love Her Cos She's Dead, The Japanese Popstars

I don't know why they're blue links, don't bother clicking on them as they don't do anything. Milton Jackson has some excellent deep house (another thread on that here somewhere), Booka Shade the more old school housey side of things, Dj Shadow is a chill out master, Japanese Popstars, fukkk offf and MSTRKRFT are crazy jump around sounds like they're breaking things electro.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Also a bit of a newb but if you like Pendulum I'd definitely recommend London Elektricity, not 100% if this link works anymore, but here's him on Radio 1's Essential Mix

And +1 for Booka Shade, there's an Essential Mix floating around on the net somewhere that they did and it's quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭CyanRain

Sweet! Right now I'm looking into DJ Hazard, and he's really good! I'm also a fan of Boys Noize, Daft Punk, Calvin Harris, Freemasons + 2 Many DJs, so I'll look up some of that other stuff too. Thanks guys :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

CyanRain wrote: »
    f Boys Noize, Daft Punk, Calvin Harris, Freemasons + 2 Many DJs

So much for underground! :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

devinejay wrote:
    So much for underground! :D:pac:

That's something I've encountered a bit of in the dance music scene, that just because a band/artist is known they aren't any good anymore. While this is true of some artists, there is a usually a reason a band or a dj is well known: They're bloody good! Before you get into your niche, you need to listen to the mainstream stuff first and work down!

Advertisement