Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathrooms

Options
  • 15-07-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hello,
    i am refitting my bathrooms, in my 10 year old house, and have a few matters that i need help on. I am buying all the materials myself from different outlets as well as online. Im afraid i dont know much about tiling/plumbing etc but am learnig fast!.
    1. How do I measure my mains water pressure ? it seems I need to know this in order to buy the correct taps, electric showers, mixer valves etc. Also some valves say 3/4 or 1/2....?
    2. I have a pump in the hotpress for the ensuite shower, which is .8 bar i think, do I need to upgrade this when i buy new shower head and mixer valve ? what would be the recommended type I should get ? Can I use this pump for both ensuite and main bathroom showers?
    3. Any opinions on types of showers to get for main bathroom ?
    e.g. power shower, electric shower, pumped electric shower, thermostatic shower ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i am refitting my bathrooms, in my 10 year old house, and have a few matters that i need help on. I am buying all the materials myself from different outlets as well as online. Im afraid i dont know much about tiling/plumbing etc but am learnig fast!.

1. How do I measure my mains water pressure ? it seems I need to know this in order to buy the correct taps, electric showers, mixer valves etc. Also some valves say 3/4 or 1/2....?

Hi - Yes you need to know this but its not commonly done. ie pressure measure. Just make sure to buy low pressre taps, click on my link below for electric showers and mixer valves. You dont buy the brass fittings a plumber does

2. I have a pump in the hotpress for the ensuite shower, which is .8 bar i think, do I need to upgrade this when i buy new shower head and mixer valve ? what would be the recommended type I should get ? Can I use this pump for both ensuite and main bathroom showers?

The pump is a 1.8 bar its most likely a monsoon or a watermill pump. Its negative head most likely. You can buy most showers with this and to be honest if you like in an apartment you can buy most taps as well

3. Any opinions on types of showers to get for main bathroom ?
    e.g. power shower, electric shower, pumped electric shower, thermostatic shower ?
    again click on my shower link below. but always thermostatic if possible

I am in the business 10 years. I am out of work at the moment but will be glad to offer advice or answer any questions. I may be even able to point you towards good suppliers if you want to PM me your details

One final not be careful with tiles. The type of tile you buy will determine the type of adhesive. also stay away from ready mixed adhesive. its a DIYERS dream but its a disaster if any water gets in. Do not buy your shower door until the tiling is done as measurments will have to be taken afterwards.

Thanks

Advertisement