Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely Remove Central Heating System

Options
  • 15-07-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

All, I need to completely remove an antiquicated central heating system. It is oil fired , from a exteranl oil burner. If I disconnect the water supply at the burner, am i right in thinking that the only water left in the system will be that which is still contained within the old gunbarrell pipes and rads/ element in Hot water cylinder. If so what do you think would be the easiest way to drain most of this water, from the existing old pipes- for ease of removal.
    As downstairs rads pipework is embedded in concrete, i have been advised that these can be cut off at the pipe work at floor level. Any thoughts?
    Thanks alot! Look forward to some interesting replies.!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your going to think i am taking the p1ss but most plumbers just blank off the old pipes in the floor and bury them... Lazy i know! There is no rule. Generally just let the water out at its lowest point and becareful. watch for loops and dips when removing the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 RJBaracuda

thanks joey, i can see where there coming from- nobody wants to rip up flooring. Thanks again, and any other hints from anyone who has done this before are all appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

heres a question....Why are you removing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭doctorjohn

I'd say he doesn't feel the cold!

It is an oil fired system, in gun barell pipe, which is showing lots of signs of leakage and rusting mostly at rad connections. Most plumbers dont seem to want to have anything to do with it. I'm also changing to gas. Henceforth, i'm looking at removing the system, which it seems is purely donkey work, which it would not make sense to pay a plumber to do.!
    & i dont feel the cold!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

RJBaracuda wrote: »
    All, I need to completely remove an antiquicated central heating system. It is oil fired , from a exteranl oil burner. If I disconnect the water supply at the burner, am i right in thinking that the only water left in the system will be that which is still contained within the old gunbarrell pipes and rads/ element in Hot water cylinder. If so what do you think would be the easiest way to drain most of this water, from the existing old pipes- for ease of removal.
    As downstairs rads pipework is embedded in concrete, i have been advised that these can be cut off at the pipe work at floor level. Any thoughts?
    Thanks alot! Look forward to some interesting replies.!

Nobody has mentioned shutting off the water from the header tank in the attic (or filler pipe) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

RJBaracuda wrote: »
    It is an oil fired system, in gun barell pipe, which is showing lots of signs of leakage and rusting mostly at rad connections. Most plumbers dont seem to want to have anything to do with it. I'm also changing to gas. Henceforth, i'm looking at removing the system, which it seems is purely donkey work, which it would not make sense to pay a plumber to do.!
    & i dont feel the cold!!!

Your making a great choice removing a GB system, these systems work fine with industrial installations but in residential systems here the GB is not holding up well and leaks are being found. I regularly fix and replace these systems.

As one has mentioned there will be a feed and expansion tank located in the attic but as its only "pure donky" work which anyone can do I am sure you have located the attic tank.

You may not feel the cold but you will feel the wet if you haven't shut off the supply to the F&E tank while trying to strip out a heating system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

Your going to think i am taking the p1ss but most plumbers just blank off the old pipes in the floor and bury them... Lazy i know! There is no rule. Generally just let the water out at its lowest point and becareful. watch for loops and dips when removing the rest.

Joey once again I find one of your experienced advice gems.

Were talking about killing off an old heating system. Its not "lazy" to leave the old pipes in the floor. What is the point in spending hours destroying a house digging up pipes that will never be used again. These pipes are beyond use, that is why the original poster is killing off the system.

No rules? there is rules and set methods towards the safe removal of a old heating system. You really should put more thought into the advice you give on plumbing and heating systems, in all honesty.

I have covered shutting of F&E supply as above.

Rule. Safely disconnect all electric components associated with a heating system. This is to avoid electrocution caused by the mix of water and electricity.

Rule. Turn of oil supply to burner. Don't pour the leftovers in the oil storage tank down the drain. This is for the safety of environment.

Rule. Dispose of the rads, boiler, related pipe work, pumps, oil storage tank etc with the environment in mind.

Rule. A GB heating system is an old system, during the old times asbestos was associated with old oil boiler flues and outdoor oil boiler shed roofs. If you are un sure of what the flue is made of you really shouldn't be ripping it out until you seek experienced advice due to the risks of cancer associated with asbestos broken into a fine form.

thanks for the replies all, job done.. some interesting black water left in the rads, that i christened "rad-tar"!. thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭L_gaucho

JamesM wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned shutting off the water from the header tank in the attic (or filler pipe) :eek:

heh heh could be a long time draining down alright :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement