Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT008 2009-2010

Options
  • 15-07-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey all! anybody starting DT008 in September??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've just finished 3 years of DT008!

First year is piss easy, although it all goes downhill from 2nd year onwards! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Dirtt_Diver

hahaha sounds good! i cant wait!! ny advice n what not?

Not really, although you are going to have a certain ball-breaking lecturer in 2nd and 3rd year (not mentioning his name, but many who have done the course here will know who I'm talking about!). He will make you buy his books that he wrote (which are crap), and if you don't study, he'll kill you!

When you get to 3rd year, you'll have a choice to do either speech and neural networks or maths. Do speech, it's piss easy.

yeah there is always a-hole alright! its not my first college so i have a fair idea, whats the craic with things you need to get for first year etc?

Like school really; bag, pens, A4 note pad, etc.

A USB flash stick will come in handy too.

• Advertisement

no tools?

You'll need a breadboard, and some pliers, wire cutters, etc.

You don't need any soldering equipment. We never done any soldering in the entire 3 years of the course.

wha really? thats so stupid! i was in tallaght studying elec engineering and all we did was solder!! that kinda sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Not really, although you are going to have a certain ball-breaking lecturer in 2nd and 3rd year (not mentioning his name, but many who have done the course here will know who I'm talking about!). He will make you buy his books that he wrote (which are crap), and if you don't study, he'll kill you!

When you get to 3rd year, you'll have a choice to do either speech and neural networks or maths. Do speech, it's piss easy.

HA HA HA HA!!!

whats so funny?

• Advertisement

Max_Damage wrote: »
    You'll need a breadboard, and some pliers, wire cutters, etc.

You don't need any soldering equipment. We never done any soldering in the entire 3 years of the course.

so what kinda stuff do you do? is i all theory or is there actual physical work to be done and learned? whats the point in learning about electronics and never actually soldering bits down??? madness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

whats so funny?
    You'll find out when you reach 2nd year ;)
    so what kinda stuff do you do? is i all theory or is there actual physical work to be done and learned? whats the point in learning about electronics and never actually soldering bits down??? madness!!
    1st year is mostly theory, mainly maths based with very basic software. Really just introduces you to the background of what you'll be doing for the next 2 years. Only practical stuff you'll be really doing in Year 1 is Systems & Practice, and even then it's extremely basic, using pre-built logic boards. In the 3 years I've done DT008, I've not soldered one single circuit. 2nd and 3rd year is mostly practical based, putting together and testing circuits, and developing and coding programs.

and what would you guys say about the course all in all? worth it? what are you all doing now? from what i did in tallaght the first year there seems to be more than you'd do in three in DIt, did you all enjoy it or regret it?

Tallaght does a lot more focused electrical stuff in their course. DT008 is a lot broader, does a lot of electronic theory alright but you do a lot of C++ computer programming in it too. There's also a good bit on networking in 3rd year. Don't think Tallaght does too much programming in their course, just basic Java? Parts of it you enjoy, parts of it not so much...

spose its the same as every course, good with the bad, yeah tallaght does a good bi of programming but no really networking but then again it doesnt really have a communications section.

alright so who is this lecturer? you could even try.........rhyme his name or module.......

do you guys have any books you remember from your first year that you had to read through or anything? i kinda wanna get a start on the basics again as i've been outta school for 4 years!!!

No need. All reading material you need is given to you by your lecturer either as handouts or on the lecturer's webpage.

There is one book that you're supposed to need for first year: 'Engineering: Our Digital Future'

It's a load of shíte though. You'll never use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Hi,

I'm a graduate of DT008 Class of 2008 ....

Yes you have to by that Digital age book- just to keep your locker full. that book and lecture you refer to is a pain in the assss... but I have allot of respect for that man...but me thinks in 1st year you will meet a certain lecture who's surname is that from Irish history, that is just evil oh and who never changes her clothes...

DT008 redesign the course every 4-5 years going on the recomendations of students and from engineers Ireland. I was on one such of those panels... there interesting a place to say what's good/bad- it was brought up at that meeting that more practical stuff could be done... with less computer simulations (back to that lecture 2nd-3rd year again...)

most of the lectures are pretty decent and very helpful if you can find them that is...Oh and most of the lectures do have electronic copies of there notes...a certain male C++/UML lectuer has a complete set of 2nd year nots... i know this cos i typed them all out... he may not give them out... but he has them as does other "Electronics" lectures

Nemo

• Advertisement

ah thanks a lot! maybe there is hope for some soldering after all!! soldering is great and all but you do go home smelling of burnt skin and have a thick white layer of skin covering your finger tips!

you will meet a certain lecture who's surname is that from Irish history, that is just evil oh and who never changes her clothes...

Hahahaha! :D

She'll also make a balls of teaching PSPICE too, something that isn't going to help in 2nd year at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gillen

just finished first year of it there, not that hard, just stay ontop of things reli! hours arent bad, you'll have fridays off so thats grand!

if ya need a hand with anything just give us a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 john_donohoe

so i hear its all guys?

why does that matter?

Hey All, just wondering if any of you have info about the maintenance grant? i have applied for it, and got a letter saying they received my info and will be in touch, but i have my 1500 euro fees to pay! and was wondering if i pay the money will i get it back from the grant office or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mush_shell

Its Not ALL Fellas :L
    Mostly Fellas Doe:(

2 lectures on fridays, off at 1. Not too bad but other days aren't great.

everyones in tomo for induction day yeah?

• Advertisement

yeah cya's there!

Advertisement