Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need an NCT

• 15-07-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'd like to get a complete health checkup somewhere, the kind that tests for everything - a complete checkup. Arrival of new kid and the fact that I am a smoker means I want to make sure all is ok on the health front. I have no concerns or symptoms or anything but have not been at a doctor in probably 25 years.

I dont mind paying for it either.

Can someone recommend where I can do this?

Live in the rathfarnham area.

thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you should visit a gp for starters. they can do full physical, bloods, some will do ecg if indicated and they can decide what else is necessary.

many of these health nct places charge a fortune for what can be done in a gp surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Weird, I just went to my GP today for the very same thing...although I'm not a smoker!.

I had my blood pressure taken twice and that was well within normal range each time. He didn't bother with height and weight because I was able to quote those. I did get blood taken and am getting a complete lipid profile, results should be back in a few days.

I think you know yourself that Smoking is the big no, no, right? Interestingly I told the doc that I wanted the check up because I was embarking on a fitness programme and change of diet and wanted some baseline figures to measure my health progress by. I said that my motivation was the fact that men in my family tend to be killed almost exclusively by heart attacks. The first question he asked was 'Did they smoke?', followed by 'Do you smoke?'. My answer to the first was 'Yes, they did' and the second 'No, I don't'.

He then told me (something I already knew) that Smoking is the number 1 risk factor for heart trouble, followed closely by being overweight or having type 2 diabetes.

So, if you have a kid, and want to see his/her 30th birthday I'd quit the smokes. Easier said than done? Well my Mam smoked for over 35 years until two years ago when my Dad (a former smoker too) had a quintuple bypass 36 hours after going for a test for his 'indigestion'. She hasn't smoked a cigarette since. Nothing like being confronted up close and personal, by your own mortality to ensure a change!

So, go to the GP, ask for blood biochemistry and a glucose tolerance test, blood pressure test, height and weight check. Then get your fitness tested at the gym (resting heart rate, time to recovery etc). Make sure the gym you get to do this knows what they're at.

Eat plenty of lean protein and green veg, quit the smokes, drink a little (or a lot) less and you should be healthy for a while to come :) Oh yeah...exercise more too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Thanks, very good advice.

I'm lucky in that I am fit enough I guess for my age, I swim about 3 or 4 times a week, play a bit of soccer etc.. but cant seem to get off the smokes. They are an absolute curse of the highest order but having the little fella now makes it a guilty pleasure.

The trigger actually was seeing John Hartson at 34 ( my age ) being diagnosed with testicular cancer and lung cancer. He's obviously fit and not a smoker. Nasty business.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Advertisement