Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Silvia Spec R

• 15-07-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭

Is there anyway to tell if a Spec R Silvia is genuine, because I believe that a Spec S (N/A) can be converted to Spec R (incld. the 6 speed box) easily enough and I'd rather get a proper Spec R rather than some conversion job.

Was looking at this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

martydunf wrote: »
    Is there anyway to tell if a Spec R Silvia is genuine, because I believe that a Spec S (N/A) can be converted to Spec R (incld. the 6 speed box) easily enough and I'd rather get a proper Spec R rather than some conversion job.

Was looking at this one.

If you look at the roof interior lining on the spec s it will be smooth but the spec r has extra bracing between b pillars so there is a lower section across the roof lining under it, there are other ways, just cant think of them, if you go to the stickys on the s15oc, there a handful of a car to drive, even just the spec s i have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

aristo wrote: »
    If you look at the roof interior lining on the spec s it will be smooth but the spec r has extra bracing between b pillars so there is a lower section across the roof lining under it, there are other ways, just cant think of them, if you go to the stickys on the s15oc, there a handful of a car to drive, even just the spec s i have

How do you mean there a handful of a car to drive? As in their not suitable as daily drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

How do you mean there a handful of a car to drive? As in their not suitable as daily drivers?

They have no traction control, nearl as much torque as BHP and are very very easy to crash.

So if you like burying the throttle everywhere youll end up in a wall.
    If you drive slowly ans sensibly you will be fine.

If you dont know why he said it do more research!

They have no traction control, nearl as much torque as BHP and are very very easy to crash.

I have driven modded 200sx's up to 350 bhp with over 400nm of touque and even they are not that difficult to get used to in the dry. In the wet you just have to be careful but they are not going to jump off the road you can still drive it just with more care.

Op dont be put off they are not a difficult car to get used to you just have to be aware and dont floor it out of corners in the wet etc. Even if you lose the back end they are an easy car to control which is why they are so popular for drifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Not true at all, they are probably one of the most forgiving rwd cars around due to the length of the wheelbase and weight distribution. I personally found my old mx5 a lot twitchier to recover when she went sideways than any s14 i ever drove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dohc

If you cant tell the difference between them maybe get a friend to come with you as you might miss something.
    I would love a spec R trying to sell my S2000 first though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

they are suitable as a daily driver, i have a spec s, great car in the dry, but with wet roads its a disaster, it will step out and fish tail with the least bit of throttle, so its way slower geting through roundabouts and when taking off gently will even spin when wet, only have 23 psi in the rear wheels to try keep it usable in the wet, i only went for the spec s as after driving a few spec r's as they were too tail happy, great acceleration though
    i had an is200 before it, which was a far better car, even with traction control off it was predictable through roundabouts and could get through alot quicker than the silvia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Thanks for the advice lads, I guess its just the horror stories that I hear that make me wonder are they that lethal in the wet but as ye have said already about taking it handy then I should be alright. Probably make more sense to maybe get something non turbo considering I'd be stepping up from a FWD but then again the re-sale aspect of it says no to a N/A (espc. a Silvia) & I would be ultimately tied to it for life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Am i right in thinking the chassis code would be different for a Spec R and s Spec S? Go to a Nissan forum and ask maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'd get yourself a test drive in both a turbo and non turbo and see what you think yourself.

With the price crash on these types of cars it makes way more sense from a financial aspect to go for a turbo.

I wouldn't worru about going from FWD to RWD, just take it easy as you learn, be mature and drive it responsibly and you'll be fine and as you get used to it you'll enjoy it more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Was looking at this one.

Man seriously, 9k for a '99 nissan, I got a '98 S14a for 3k. You could get a '00 s14a for 6k and it'd be an irish car which would be better for insurance.

As for roadholding they are a bit loose on the throttle but they have plenty of grip if you are sensible and are fun to drive. Turbo's give major scope for tuning later too.

Advertisement