Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

07d garda s80 unmarked with weird contraption!

• 15-07-2009 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I saw a parked garda unmarked 07D s80 today. Ok I had heard the boys and girls in blue were using unmarked volvo's before ... nothing new here.
    However, the one I saw had what can only be described as a small black on a tiny platform sitting on the boot. It didnt look like a camera.
    At the front I could see a tiny recording camera sitting inside the passenger side window.
    Anybody any idea what the thing on the boot is ?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

its part of the ANPR camera system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭briana7214

that sthe camera that scans all the reg no's of cars and lets them know whos taxed, nct'd and insured or not as the case may be !!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

briana7214 wrote: »
    that sthe camera that scans all the reg no's of cars and lets them know whos taxed, nct'd and insured or not as the case may be !!!:(

They don't know that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Do those cars use the front mounted camera to visually record your speed for court purposes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can they tell if the owner of the car is fully licensed, or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

those cameras/scanners cannot check the NCTs of cars as that database hasn't been even put up on the pulse system. according to my garda friend

the_syco wrote: »
    Can they tell if the owner of the car is fully licensed, or not?

I was referring to the insurance. As for the license maybe one of the traffic corps who use this forum could enlighten us, but I highly doubt whoever set up the data-base for the ANPR system would have license records cross referenced to tax information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Saw another one in Mitchelstown on Monday, good to see this being rolled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Big Brother is watching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

yes they do we give them our insurance policy no when we pay our car tax

• Advertisement

beartooth wrote: »

Which tells them the car is insured, not that the person who is driving is. There are so many loopholes to that system I don't even know where to begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Big Brother is watching you.

Dont do that, you'll have Run_to_Da_Hills in in a minute.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Which tells them the car is insured, not that the person who is driving is. There are so many loopholes to that system I don't even know where to begin.

That's a good point! Although it will stop people not insuring their own cars. Any form of insurance/tax avoidance is good in my books. I know we all begrudge it at the best of times, but we are all in it together, so best everyone pays it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Exactly, if the car is insured by the owner, chances are that the person has their own policy and it covers them driving that said car (in the instance that the driver is not the owner).
    If they run the plate - the plate comes back as a non-insured car, the driver (even if they have their own policy) is not covered in a non-insured vechile AFAIK.
    Also, to take a more simple approach, if the car is not showing up as an insured car, this would give good reason to pull the car over and find out what is going on.
    I can only think of one or two instances where a non-insured car (on the Garda database) would be insured to be on the road i.e. garage insurance or new sale or something.
    As you say there are lots of loopholes, by law, but its a fairly good yardstick for the Gardai to stop someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

robtri wrote: »
    its part of the ANPR camera system

Its the infra red light for the rear facing revolving, night vision, camera.
    Do those cars use the front mounted camera to visually record your speed for court purposes ?

Both the front and rear facing cameras record and the speed is also noted as is the time and location via GPS.
    I was referring to the insurance. As for the license maybe one of the traffic corps who use this forum could enlighten us, but I highly doubt whoever set up the data-base for the ANPR system would have license records cross referenced to tax information.

Tax, insurance and a few more bits that arent really for an open forum.

Insurance is presently linked to the tax office but AGS have now an agreement with the insurance companied that they will notify AGS of insurance so it'll be more upto date.

The ANPR does not pick up un licenced drivers.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Stekelly wrote: »

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Stekelly wrote: »

I like it! 'He brought us pain and misery'!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Nope...when I pay my car tax online I usually can't be arsed to get the correct insurance policy number off the disc on the windscreen or go rumaging for the certificate......so I just enter any number. Works fine for me.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Using a no-verification policy... if you tax online you can put any old gibberish in and even in the tax office they don't check.

The motor insurance database is the accurate way to tell what reg's are insured and the Guards are getting access to this.

This could also theorethically provide the (declared) licenced status of the owner of the car if this is recorded in the MID and provided as the insurance companies do know this... I have no idea if its recorded or if the Guards are getting access if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

it's primarily for tax - it's the only database the Garda have access to, that is verified. Neither the NCT nor insurance details are.

Actually, you can type in a completely bogus one on the tax renewal, and you'll still get a tax disc........

Like all computer-based systems, it's based on the SISO principle.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Forget the ANPR...

The Guards have a Volvo S80!

VOLVO S80!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

One thing to note about the Volvo S80 is that they are leased cars from "Koping" sooooooo if you spot an S80 D Reg with Koping number plate surrounds, back away.

I saw this in Castleisland ripping through the town with blue and twos on. Some machine. The blue leds strobes were very well concealed in the rear clusters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got busted by a silver-blue 07 Mondeo with one of those things in Kilkenny a few months ago :o
    My first pentalty points Q_Q

galwaytt wrote: »
    it's primarily for tax - it's the only database the Garda have access to, that is verified. Neither the NCT nor insurance details are.

Actually, you can type in a completely bogus one on the tax renewal, and you'll still get a tax disc........

Like all computer-based systems, it's based on the SISO principle.
    And also for detecting stolen cars and false plates, the UK system is so vast between fixed and mobile units that it records details of 100 reg plates a second or 3 billion a year. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197083/Police-use-CCTV-photograph-billion-car-numbers-plates-year.html

If two cars driving simultaneously around London using the same number plate, A*PR will detect it in an average of just 5 minutes and alert the authorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Berty wrote: »
    One thing to note about the Volvo S80 is that they are leased cars from "Koping" sooooooo if you spot an S80 D Reg with Koping number plate surrounds, back away.

:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I saw this in Castleisland ripping through the town with blue and twos on. Some machine. The blue leds strobes were very well concealed in the rear clusters.

I saw one in the Phoenix Park this morning. It ripped past a couple of cars and I was about to follow it and overtake them when it suddenly stopped and the Gardai in it started giving a bollicking to one of the drivers they overtook.
    Thankfully I saw the blue strobes flashing in the rear lights and decided not to overtake (at very high speed) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

OP, with the greatest respect...

"a small black on a tiny platform sitting on the boot."

Could you explain this in a more day to day understandable way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

That's a lot of S80's to stay away from!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Stephen wrote: »
    I got busted by a silver-blue 07 Mondeo with one of those things in Kilkenny a few months ago :o
    My first pentalty points Q_Q

Did they pull you over when they caught you speeding with the ANPR device?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Woodey

The cars are not leased from Koping, we just do the service work & any repair work. They asked us to stick our number plate surrounds on to make it look less like a Squad car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Woodey wrote: »
    The cars are not leased from Koping, we just do the service work & any repair work. They asked us to stick our number plate surrounds on to make it look less like a Squad car.

I would have said that the Gardai are impartial to advertising like this on their cars - I would imagine that it's more to do with Koping wanting to get their name of a Garda car - "oh look! Even the Gardai buy cars off Koping! They must be good!" I've also seen an unmarked Mondeo with Fort Motors surrounds on it. From what i've gather, its the service centres that put these on when they're in getting work done.

I've only ever seen an S80 carrying VIP's in convoy, so why would they want to make it look less like a Garda car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

And also for detecting stolen cars and false plates, the UK system is so vast between fixed and mobile units that it records details of 100 reg plates a second or 3 billion a year. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197083/Police-use-CCTV-photograph-billion-car-numbers-plates-year.html

If two cars driving simultaneously around London using the same number plate, A*PR will detect it in an average of just 5 minutes and alert the authorities.

...ah yes, good one. But it won't tell them which of the two is the clone !! Lot's of people in the UK getting shafted that way over camera tickets, congestion charges etc. It's inevitable that that will start here, too........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

...ah yes, good one. But it won't tell them which of the two is the clone !! ........
    It allerts the cops that the number is used twice, enough for them to pull over each one to check out details, by going through the pulse system they will get instant detailed information on colour, tax, NCT /DOE etc.
    ...Lot's of people in the UK getting shafted that way over camera tickets, congestion charges etc. It's inevitable that that will start here, too........
    They ordered a 100 of them last year, apart from that they are all over the place, used by private car parks, ie RDS ferry terminals, plazaz and airports etc.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-use-new-hitech-devices-in-bid-to-curb-speeding-1588551.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 thetoken

yea i pick the 1st company and use 1111111.

only because i couldnt be arsed digging out the policy no.

wonder how many of us are driving around with that policy number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Heroditas wrote: »
    I saw one in the Phoenix Park this morning. It ripped past a couple of cars and I was about to follow it and overtake them

Part of the public branch of the ERU are ya?? :rolleyes:
    Heroditas wrote: »
    decided not to overtake (at very high speed) :o

Phoenix Park is 50 km/hr.. everywhere. I would've loved to have witnessed that one in front of the guards alright.

Back on topic it's about time they got this stuff rolled out, if they can't detect uninsured drivers yet I hope it's only a matter of time as they're scum plain and simple.

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    That's a lot of S80's to stay away from!:D

Better safe than sorry. I now eyeball Subura Foresters and Toyota Camrys and have added S80's to my list.
    Woodey wrote: »

The Koping plate surround will make it easier to spot by everday joe public. I think to look less like a squad car you really just remove the flashing blue lights on the roof, not order it in white, not have strobes on the corner of the bumper(like other supposedly unmarked cars) and not have guys sitting in the car with hi viz Garda jackets on it. I really doubt the Koping thing makes it look less like a squad car.

Wouldn't that mean that every rental car is possibly a Garda car because more often than not they NEVER have number plate surrounds or any thing which will tell you what garage it came from*

*Unless its Hertz of course because they buy some cars in Wexford and the garage always put their surrounds on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

Better safe than sorry. I now eyeball Subura Foresters and Toyota Camrys and have added S80's to my list.

I saw a navy Nissan X-Trail speeding down the M50 with blue strobes flashing & sirens blaring....another one to watch out for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Try this one on for size - 06D non-metallic red Toyota Corolla Estate.
    Blue strobes built into the lamp clusters, pelting up the N11 bus lane.

Granted it could have been a Fire Chief's car too, but it still surprised the hell out of me!

The Wine Isuzu Trooper Commerical in Limerick surprised the hell out of me as well. I believe its the ERU.

Taken from Carzone
    no-image-large.gif

I actually thought the first two times it was some guy too lazy to sit in traffic because the 8-10 times I have seen this in full flight with its lights flashing, I have never once heard a siren so originally figured he was a cheeky git.

Obviously there are soo many "sleepers" out there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

...ah yes, good one. But it won't tell them which of the two is the clone !! Lot's of people in the UK getting shafted that way over camera tickets, congestion charges etc. It's inevitable that that will start here, too........

It may be an urban myth, but I've heard a story of where some "undesirables" had false number plates made up with numbers matching some local Police officers private cars. Said "undesirables" fitted the false plates to their own vehicles and then proceeded to rip past every fixed speed camera that they could find. Result?....some very pissed off cops with a bunch of fixed penalty notices in their letterbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MarkN wrote: »
    Part of the public branch of the ERU are ya?? :rolleyes:

careful-now3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BigZack

I've always used 'TBC' when paying for road tax

Nforce wrote: »
    It may be an urban myth, but I've heard a story of where some "undesirables" had false number plates made up with numbers matching some local Police officers private cars. Said "undesirables" fitted the false plates to their own vehicles and then proceeded to rip past every fixed speed camera that they could find. Result?....some very pissed off cops with a bunch of fixed penalty notices in their letterbox.
    Definitally an urban myth, the cops can examine the footage and check if its the same make, model and colour car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

What if my motor tax is due for renewal at the end of this month (July) and I tax car and give my insurance policy number. For argument
    sake my insurance is due for renewal in mid August and I shop around and change insurance provider. That wouldn't immediately have my insurance details by using the method you suggest then.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Exactly, if the car is insured by the owner, chances are that the person has their own policy and it covers them driving that said car (in the instance that the driver is not the owner).
    If they run the plate - the plate comes back as a non-insured car, the driver (even if they have their own policy) is not covered in a non-insured vechile AFAIK.

depending on policy, mine for example doesn't state that the vehicle needs to be insured by the owner.
    cashmni1 wrote: »
    Also, to take a more simple approach, if the car is not showing up as an insured car, this would give good reason to pull the car over and find out what is going on.
    I can only think of one or two instances where a non-insured car (on the Garda database) would be insured to be on the road i.e. garage insurance or new sale or something.
    As you say there are lots of loopholes, by law, but its a fairly good yardstick for the Gardai to stop someone.

giving a policy number is obligatory when paying for a tax, so if they even track those records, all taxed cars would be listed as insured...

I highly doubt that they would check this information, however they might be checking tax.

I would say, those camera scanners are very useful when garda searches for some cars etc and also if they decide to stop you they have all your (car's) details straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

got caught tonight by one of those cars (Mondeo) fitted with a device to check tax, got pulled over, & the car got impounded. Apparently he had been following me for ages & I didnt even know, (on M1 to Ardee road) But does anyone know if the garda can check the M50 toll records, when you went through it etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

enol wrote: »
    got caught tonight by one of those cars (Mondeo) fitted with a device to check tax, got pulled over, & the car got impounded. Apparently he had been following me for ages & I didnt even know, (on M1 to Ardee road) But does anyone know if the garda can check the M50 toll records, when you went through it etc?

how long was the tax out by? not sure on the m50 thing. i dont think they can for non-criminal matters

Whoa. Your tax must have been wayyyyyy out of date for that to happen. I would have thought most Gardai would give you a warning if it was a month to two months.

Anything after that you are asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

Whoa. Your tax must have been wayyyyyy out of date for that to happen. I would have thought most Gardai would give you a warning if it was a month to two months.

Anything after that you are asking for it.

I know guy who got 80eur fine for being late with tax just 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

*Unless its Hertz of course because they buy some cars in Wexford and the garage always put their surrounds on them.

That particular garage has the buybacks on the Majority of Hertz stuff. The guy that owns them, also owns the franchise for Hertz in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement