Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

07d garda s80 unmarked with weird contraption!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Berty wrote: »
    Whoa. Your tax must have been wayyyyyy out of date for that to happen. I would have thought most Gardai would give you a warning if it was a month to two months.

Anything after that you are asking for it.

Tax must be out two months for Section 41 RTA to kick in and allow a member sieze a car for no tax
    zreba wrote: »
    I know guy who got 80eur fine for being late with tax just 3 weeks

If your tax is out a day then you are liable for an FCPS im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I know guy who got 80eur fine for being late with tax just 3 weeks

And he was perfectly entitled to get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jawnuolis

= NEWS
    [font=&quot]High-tech spy scanner[/font]

[font=&quot]
    [/font]
    Back car Crimes blitz
    [font=&quot]
    [/font]

[font=&quot]
    [/font] [font=&quot]TRAP: Gardai cameras capture tax dodgers[/font]

[font=&quot]
    [/font] By Jane Last
    [font=&quot]THE garda crackdown on motoring offences has been strengthened by the arrival of new technology.[/font]
    [font=&quot]A simple scan of a registra*tion plate can identify whether a motorist has paid tax or insur*ance or whether he or she is driving a "suspicious" vehicle.[/font]
    [font=&quot]The Automatic Number Plate [/font][font=&quot]Recognition (ANPR) system can [/font][font=&quot]pick up such offences within seconds.[/font]
    [font=&quot]The system is installed in 104 [/font][font=&quot]marked and unmarked squad cars throughout the country, allowing officers to identify vehicles without tax, insurance or speeding by reading their number plates and checking them against a database of com*pliant vehicles,[/font]
    [font=&quot]And the system, rolled out since last October, will also alert[/font]
    [font=&quot]
    [/font] [font=&quot]officers to "suspect" vehicles -either stolen or suspected of being involved in criminal activ*ities.[/font]
    [font=&quot]It also means that the issue of [/font][font=&quot]false documents will become a thing of the past. While a Garda can be fooled by an impressive counterfeit, if the ANPR sys*tem doesn't have a record of tax or insurance, then the vehi*cle, doesn't have it.[/font]
    [font=&quot]Two cameras are mounted in a [/font][font=&quot]car; one attached to the front windscreen and the second to the back, which scan number plates of vehicles coming in the opposite direction. the system checks to see if the cars are taxed, insured or on a watch list of suspicious vehicles against a database which is updated daily.[/font]
    [font=&quot]It can also be used as a speed[/font]
    [font=&quot]
    [/font] [font=&quot]Camera and cars will be deployed on the country's dual carriageways and motorways in an effort to reduce speeding.[/font]
    [font=&quot]"Within a split second it will alert the driver" a Garda expert says. "This could scan every car in the car park of Dublin Airport in just 15 minutes."[/font]
    [font=&quot]Every morning the system operator downloads the latest list of vehicles with tax and insurance, and details of suspi*cious and stolen vehicles, onto a memory stick, which is insert*ed into the system. Informa*tion on stolen vehicles from the UK and Northern Ireland is also available.[/font]
    [font=&quot]The system holds up to 20 days of material, and will even*tually be constantly updated throughout the day. At the end of the shift, the information is fed into a central computer in Garda HQ. In Limerick, a car[/font]
    [font=&quot]
    [/font] [font=&quot]Was stopped on suspicion of not being taxed.[/font]
    [font=&quot]It emerged that the driver was wanted on an EU arrest warrant for murder.[/font]
    [font=&quot]In Dublin, a well-known criminal was stopped for not having tax and insurance, and it emerged he was drunk.[/font]
    [font=&quot]He had finished a 15-year ban for driving just two days previ*ously. In Longford, a truck which was stopped turned out to be stolen in the UK.[/font]
    [font=&quot]In 2007, the last year for which figures are available, 28,277 motorists were caught driving without insurance while another 68,064 had no tax.[/font]
    [font=&quot]Use of the ANPR. System is likely to see the number of driv*ers caught increase.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

I just wonder where do they get an insurance database from?

Are insurers giving those details to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I've seen ANPR cars in Longford, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Wexford and a few around Dublin.

This national roll-out seems to genuinely be a national roll-out.

I just wonder where do they get an insurance database from?

Are insurers giving those details to them?

No comes from your details on your tax renewal form. AGS signing agreement with insurers to provide such information

No comes from your details on your tax renewal form. AGS signing agreement with insurers to provide such information

so at the moment those details are not relevant at all...

your policy expiration date can be just a week after tax renewal, so the car can be listed as not insured in their db for almost a year, or the car can change ownership etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Would the data protection act not block AGS using insurance company data? Surely the data can only be used for its intended purpose? (Insurance company records, not issuing a summons).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

It seems data protection is becoming a thing of the past.

After all, we do live in a nanny state:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

jmck87 wrote: »
    Would the data protection act not block AGS using insurance company data? Surely the data can only be used for its intended purpose? (Insurance company records, not issuing a summons).

Dont they say that they reserve the right to pass information on to relevant authorities, including the Guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Did they pull you over when they caught you speeding with the ANPR device?

Eh, I don't think the ANPR device had anything to do with them catching me speeding, I just noticed the aforementioned "contraption" on the car when they did :) It was a regular hairdryer-out-the-window on the side of the road thing that got me.

Insurance companies are obliged to assit Gardaí in their enquiries, and they always have. In relation to ANPR it is proposed that insurance companies would supply insurance policy numbers and expiry dates of vehicles to AGS. These would be entered into PULSE and ANPR system. It has nothing to do with data protection im afraid. Exact same a information supplied by tax office. To be fair.....the tax office supply everything to AGS....reg owner, past owners, addresses, tax details etc etc etc
    Dont they say that they reserve the right to pass information on to relevant authorities, including the Guards?

I believe so but to be honest and fair im not sure of the small print.

Brabus wrote: »
    It seems data protection is becoming a thing of the past.

After all, we do live in a nanny state:(

police state,

BIG BROTHER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Saw a three series BMW on the M1 at the weekend with one of those little black camera boxes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

It doesn't automatically issue tickets for uninsured drivers, it raises an alarm for the guard to do so him/herself.
    The insurance comapnies all share their data with the gardai and revenue etc. It's in your policy.
    Your name is on your drivers license as is your address, it can easily be cross referenced against a car's log book, tax renewal etc.
    Data protection is very much alive and well but the gardai have always had access to your details.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Update, saw one of those ANPR unmarked squad cars in Carlow yesterday.
    Silver 07 D reg Mondeo with the number plate trim of some garage on it.
    Talk about blending in....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

It has nothing to do with data protection im afraid. Exact same a information supplied by tax office. To be fair.....the tax office supply everything to AGS....reg owner, past owners, addresses, tax details etc etc etc

In what way has it nothing to do with data protection?

It baffles me how Gardai are allowed access to such systems, fair enough if they're trying to prove a murder charge, but to invade one's privacy for the sake of a victimless crime :rolleyes:

And yes it is invasion of privacy. If Im driving down the road no one has a right to know my name, my address etc. In fact, I have the right to privacy written down in bunreacht...go figure ;)

It baffles me how Gardai are allowed access to such systems, fair enough if they're trying to prove a murder charge, but to invade one's privacy for the sake of a victimless crime :rolleyes:

How in gods name can you say driving without insurance is a victimless crime??
    You'd be thinking very differently if, god forbid, you or your car was hit by an uninsured driver....

Then I wonder what would you be saying.......god bless those Gardaí, lazy fe**ers couldnt even catch an uninsured driver!!

Its all well and good the way your looking at something now, but try looking at it from all angles. Think outside the box as they say.

ANPR is there for a reason, to locate untaxed, uninsured, stolen cars and much more. Its not there to ''stitch someone up'', its there to assist in the detection of RTA (and much more serious) offences. Why anyone would have a problem with it is beyond me.

How in gods name can you say driving without insurance is a victimless crime??

but you cannot assume that every driver is a criminal,

going further, maybe garda should start monitoring all bank transfers, as some of them can be crime money,

maybe they could tap everyone's phone lines, and listen to all conversation just in case, someone is planning a crime,

maybe they could implant electronic chips under our skin, so then not only drivers can be tracked but also pedestrians?

everyone has it's own rights, but the limit should be set, between just fighting the crime and invigilation, the question is, if the line has not been crossed already

ANPR is there for a reason, to locate untaxed, uninsured, stolen cars and much more. Its not there to ''stitch someone up'', its there to assist in the detection of RTA (and much more serious) offences. Why anyone would have a problem with it is beyond me.

great tool in right hands,
    assuming that every garda man is clean and have good intentions...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

great tool in right hands,
    assuming that every garda man is clean and have good intentions...

Seriously, grow up.

I think i speak for the majority of the motoring public when i say that the introduction of ANPR is a good thing. If it removes one uninsured driver, and one tax dodger or whatever else that may lurk out there, from the roads then it works.

I have no problem with these systems reading my details, as i have nothing to hide. I dont see why anyone else should have the same problem.

I even got to see one in action today at a Ford dealership in Dublin. Got talking to a guard collecting a car that had it fitted, and we got into a conversation about it. I asked if he could show me, and he did. It read every number plate in the car park it could see in the minute i was in the car. Great system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

It has nothing to do with data protection im afraid. Exact same a information supplied by tax office. To be fair.....the tax office supply everything to AGS....reg owner, past owners, addresses, tax details etc etc etc

In what way has it nothing to do with data protection?

And yes it is invasion of privacy. If Im driving down the road no one has a right to know my name, my address etc. In fact, I have the right to privacy written down in bunreacht...go figure ;)

Victimless crime? We all have to pay extra on our insurance premium!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I even got to see one in action today at a Ford dealership in Dublin. Got talking to a guard collecting a car that had it fitted, and we got into a conversation about it. I asked if he could show me, and he did. It read every number plate in the car park it could see in the minute i was in the car. Great system.

If you saw driver details on their system as a non member of the Gardai that was a breach of the data protection act and an invasion of the privacy of anyones plate that was read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

There was some controversy in the US regarding ANPR. If the cops there saw a hot bird driving a car they would run a plate for a date.

:D

donvito99 wrote: »
    There was some controversy in the US regarding ANPR. If the cops there saw a hot bird driving a car they would run a plate for a date.

:D

or your wife, being a gardai, can track every your movement if she's jelous (just an example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Brabus wrote: »
    Update, saw one of those ANPR unmarked squad cars in Carlow yesterday.
    Silver 07 D reg Mondeo with the number plate trim of some garage on it.
    Talk about blending in....:(

i got pulled over by that on wednesday evening! \o/

nothing came of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    If you saw driver details on their system as a non member of the Gardai that was a breach of the data protection act and an invasion of the privacy of anyones plate that was read.

They were sales cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

or your wife, being a gardai, can track every your movement if she's jelous (just an example)

Assuming the details are uploaded to Pulse (which I'm not sure of), all her attempts to trace you would be logged against her badge number. In any event, all she could do is find any time you were spotted by a Garda car which isn't very often in reality.

Advertisement