Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Cable to Wireless

Options
  • 15-07-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Went out last night to help the folks set up wireless in the house.
    They already have standard cable 10MB broadband with NTL.
    Thought it would be handy enough, NTL told me over phone all I needed was a router.
    I have an old one that I brought and connected the cable to it.
    Then went to search for avail wireless networks and I couldnt find an NTL network.
    There were some other avail networks but presume they were neighbours ?
    Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Prob need to configure router first

Plug ethernet cable from back of your pc into one of the ethernet ports on back of router

open up dos box typr ipconfig /all

Whatever default gateway address for wireless router is, punch that in to a browser(192.168.1.1 or similar)

Configure the router(depends on the model)

Log on using whatever WEP key and SSID you set in config

And then you should be sucking diesel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What's the router? You won't find and NTL network when you search, as you'll be searching for this wireless router, which has nothing to do with NTL.

As mentioned, know the configuration of the router first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

If its an old router it may be ADSL (phone line) based and not a cable modem. Check if it has a phone plug in it.

Advertisement