Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Router and Windows Media Centre

Options
  • 15-07-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Ok firstly I've no idea if this is the right forum to post this in so mods please move if i'm in the wrong place.

Basically i've set my Xbox 360 up as a Windows Media Centre Extender. Basically the setup is this

- XBox 360 sits in the living room connecting to my Eircom Netopia Router Using WIFI.

- PC Sits Upstairs again connected using WIFI.

- All Media is stored on the PC Upstairs.

The problem i'm facing is that the Xbox keeps warning me that the wireless speed isn't fast enough and shows me a graph displaying the network speed. It suggests switching to 802.11a or b but that dosnt appear to be an option on the Eircom Router, has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution without having to switch router or to a wired connection?

Cheers in advance lads! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

802.11a and b are slower than g, which I assume you're using. Switching to them won't help. It's probably just the range from the router. With a G router, 54Mbps is the total it can do, so with the PC sourcing a file over the wireless link, and the Xbox downloading it, that's halving the speed right there. It would be better if one of them were wired to the router.

The range from each device to the router will also effect max speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What is happening is that your media server & the xbox are communicating with each other through the wi-fi router, which is causing a bottleneck.

A better solution would be to plug one of the devices (or both) into the router using an ethernet cable, to alleviate the wireless capacity problem.

I wouldn't worry about the 802.11a stuff - it never took off as much as802.11b/g & n is now...

Do you have an easy cable route to the router - or is there any possiblity you can move the router (and still wire back tot he phone line obviously!)

Edit: Just after re-reading jor el's post above - he said most of what I was saying!

Advertisement