Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biker Boggled!?!

• 15-07-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Lads I apologise in advance if I'm asking an impossible to answer question but I'd just like some views.

I have my full Motorbike Test end of this month. I have the Star Rider course next weekend. Thing is, I've never set a hair of me arse on a motorbike!! :p Am I being ridiculous even considering taking the test? I would intend renting a bike for the test.

What happened was I applied for the course back in Dec and the app was lost or misplaced or whatever and I'm only having it in 10 days time. I obviously expected to complete it before now so I had applied for my test a couple of months ago. I'd be bummed to have to cancel the test (you go right to the end of the waiting list) but if there's no chance I'd pass the test then so be it...

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Be up to the individual! You'll know at the end of the star rider course if you think you're ready. Can explain your situation to the trainer, and ask him to give an honest opinion at the end too.

I think it's worth going for it anyway. Know harm getting a feel for the test, and you never know, you might pass it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Took me about 4 hours on a bike to be able to pass my test. Took me about twenty minutes with David Lyons to realise I was a crap biker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I was trained by one of the lads that does the star rider training - Liam Foley - best thing to do is to do the training and then go out with him nearer the date of your test.

He does be pretty busy sometimes so PM me if you want his number..

The star rider training is supposed to be the bee's for getting people up to test standard tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

hehe yeah that's pretty ridiculous alright.

Still, fair dues, go for it man. If nothing else it'll be good practice, and as the man says, if your not in you can't win....

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Cool I think I'll go for it then!
    Would be a crazy story if I pass it!
    If I wait for an honest assesment from the trainer it will be too late to cancel my test, min 10 days notice. Test on 30/7, training 25th & 26th. Tight as nuns ***! :p

Any tips on places that supply the bike for tests?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha nice one. Was talking to a few people over the years same as yourself. Ya be suprised how many pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Go for it, you've nothing to lose ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Just don't do anything stupid like my brother and fail for not putting down your foot at a stop sign! Not a "technical" stop..

If I were you, I'd do all I could to get some hours in the saddle in the meantime, getting fluent (or part thereof) would help alot, if only to calm the nerves!

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

My opinion is, if you have never even ridden a bike and only do a course right before the test, there is a good chance you will fail and just take the place from someone who was waiting for this for a few months and is prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

randomway wrote: »
    My opinion is, if you have never even ridden a bike and only do a course right before the test, there is a good chance you will fail and just take the place from someone who was waiting for this for a few months and is prepared.

Technically the OP is not taking the place from anyone. The OP booked the test months ago.

I say - Go for it.

OP, you have paid for both already. The only extra cost now will be the hire of a bike for the test.

If it was me, I would not like to do my test a few days after learning to ride a bike.

I have been riding for almost two months now, and booked for my test the other day, as I feel I am now ready.

• Advertisement

Go for it, but I reckon your nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Give it a go but prepare as musch as possible.

Have you any experience driving a car becuase at least you may have road experience then and will know what to expect from traffic. Have you sat the car test before cos the basic routine of the test is the same, (althought the practical part of the test out on the bike is different in places) There a previous post here on what exactly to expect when doing the test and what will be asked of you, I suggest you have a look for them).

Make sure you have all your documents with you.

Familiarise yourself with the route and area that the test is to be taken in beforehand.

Don't be late, they will fail you!

Turn up on the right cc bike for your test classification and wear all the safety gear. ie look the part!

Practise as much as possible every evening before the test.

Let us know how it goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

on a slightly related note, has anyone done the test on a cruiser? Just worried about U turns and slow speed manouvers. Turning circle is bigger on my cruiser than other bikes. I'm grand doing U turns but use a lot of road to do them, or stick a leg down if doing it in a tight spot from stopped position. Is there any kind of swerve test like in the UK? Would I be better off renting something a bit more nifty for the test day.

I'm having second thoughts now! At least I have a couple of days before I have to let the Testing Centre know my intentions.
    Technically I stand to lose the €75 test fee if I don't pass!! I know everyone is in that boat but obviously because I have zero motorbike riding experience I wonder am I away with the fairies and should I just postpone it!? The other thing I'm pondering is that I've really been looking forward to the course but worry now that I may not enjoy it if I'm under pressure to do a test!?

Tomohawk: I passed my car test about 5 years ago but that was in Raheny. My test is in Finglas but thanks for the tips and I'll look for that thread detailing what to expect on the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

clown bag wrote: »
    Is there any kind of swerve test like in the UK? Would I be better off renting something a bit more nifty for the test day.

Reckon your better off sticking to what you know and are comfortable with.

All the literature and advice I've seen says tester will only ask you to do the U turn in one go if your bike is capable of doing so.

Also it is acceptable (but not ideal) if you don't do the turn in one go. I.e. stop push the bike back a bit and continue the turn, so long as your observation is spot on .

Of course you hear all kinds of everything regarding these things and it all comes down to the tester on the day.

Maybe when your booking a pretest with a decent instructor casually ask them what's best.

As seems to be mandatory when mentioning decent instructors, I'd recommend David Lyons. He's etremely knowledgable-I'd do whatever he told me to do. (But only in a motorbike test-context. not that I'm making allegations of improprietry or anything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Of course you hear all kinds of everything regarding these things and it all comes down to the tester on the day.

Maybe when your booking a pretest with a decent instructor casually ask them what's best.

As seems to be mandatory when mentioning decent instructors, I'd recommend David Lyons. He's etremely knowledgable-I'd do whatever he told me to do. (But only in a motorbike test-context. not that I'm making allegations of improprietry or anything)
    Yeah, I've heard some say if it's not done in one movement its marked down. Whether I'd be able to do it in one movement would depend largely on which point of which road he asked me to do it. A narrow road and I might have to do the oul back forward thing.

I did my initial bike training with Dave when I first bought the bike. Already planned to give him a buzz again for a pre-test when the time comes. Decent bloke alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Yeah, I've heard some say if it's not done in one movement its marked down. Whether I'd be able to do it in one movement would depend largely on which point of which road he asked me to do it. A narrow road and I might have to do the oul back forward thing.

I did my initial bike training with Dave when I first bought the bike. Already planned to give him a buzz again for a pre-test when the time comes. Decent bloke alright.

It will be down to the tester on the day, they are supposed to take the type of bike into consideration, so while you might get a mark for putting your foot down on a bike with a small turning circle, you might not on a cruiser or something that restricts how much the wheel can turn.
    I think the most important thing is that its done safely, so if you do have to put your foot down make sure it doesn't look like your doing it because you've lost your balance or try to hide it by doing it quickly etc.

It should be done somewhere reasonable size, mine was in a road that had parking spaces on one side of the road so there was plenty of room.

A good way to get your confidence up for the U turn is to go somewhere safe and do figure 8's over and over getting as tight as you can on your bike until your totally confident you can do it without any wobbles etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

I think it's better to do it as soon as possible. That way bad habits don't creep in. I was driving for 2 years then did the test, while I could drive to get places, it was defo not in a way that would pass the test. Get training early, pass your test early. I think that's the best way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

jimmay wrote: »
    I'm having second thoughts now! At least I have a couple of days before I have to let the Testing Centre know my intentions.
    Technically I stand to lose the €75 test fee if I don't pass!! I know everyone is in that boat but obviously because I have zero motorbike riding experience I wonder am I away with the fairies and should I just postpone it!? The other thing I'm pondering is that I've really been looking forward to the course but worry now that I may not enjoy it if I'm under pressure to do a test!?

Tomohawk: I passed my car test about 5 years ago but that was in Raheny. My test is in Finglas but thanks for the tips and I'll look for that thread detailing what to expect on the test.

Jimmay,
    I read on another forum about a lad who got a test date in Finglas 4 weeks after applying (with no special letter from his employer to hurry the date), so even if you cancel the test for 30th July, you might not be waiting as long as you think!

Best of luck, whatever you do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

on a slightly related note, has anyone done the test on a cruiser? Just worried about U turns and slow speed manouvers. Turning circle is bigger on my cruiser than other bikes. I'm grand doing U turns but use a lot of road to do them, or stick a leg down if doing it in a tight spot from stopped position. Is there any kind of swerve test like in the UK? Would I be better off renting something a bit more nifty for the test day.

i did my test on a cruiser in June, had no issue with any of it, once u can ride ur bike and are seen to be in control of ur machine u will be grand, i actually put my foot down at the end of the U turn and lost a point but better to do that than look like ur not incontrol of ur bike, good luck with it

• Advertisement

@ OP,

have u considered getting a mate to take u to a carpark and show u hte basics, there is alot u can learn before u ride a bike, the tester will ask u questions about ur bike, u can prepare for this now, have u read the rules of the road recently, brushed up on ur road signs,

Put on a helmet and worked out where ur blind spots are, this is done easily by sitting on a bike and looking in ur mirror at a mate walking towards u from behind, as soon as they are out of view get them to stop, turn ur head and see where ur blind spot is.

on a mates bike u can practice smooth moving off, throttle, clutch and back brake control, get the feel for a bike, u can also practice stopping

What i am saying is there is alot u can do before ur lesson if u have a mate that is willing to show u.

Good luck and keep us updated;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

this blind spot is mad. I can see perfectly behind me the way I have my mirrors set up. I can see same things in either mirror. I can see arse of me bike in each mirror and still see the whole road. Fair enough smaller mirrors are different. I dunno

seanybiker wrote: »
    this blind spot is mad. I can see perfectly behind me the way I have my mirrors set up. I can see same things in either mirror. I can see arse of me bike in each mirror and still see the whole road. Fair enough smaller mirrors are different. I dunno

Seany there is always a blind spot, try what i described above and see where urs is, i can see the rear of my bike in my mirrors but the rear of my bike is not where my blind spot is.......

I've decided to go for it! Thanks for the tips people!

Cheers lilliput69 I'm working my way through the rules of the road again to refresh myself

I've just had my first ever lessons this morning! Yes I took the hint to get some extra practice and went out for a couple of hours today for some extra practice and it went well. I mean I was out on the road after a couple of hours and my instructor seemed pleased so hopefully after my course at the weekend I'll be well on my way. A pretest perhaps before Thursday and then fingers crossed :P...

Cheers lilliput69 I'm working my way through the rules of the road again to refresh myself

I've just had my first ever lessons this morning! Yes I took the hint to get some extra practice and went out for a couple of hours today for some extra practice and it went well. I mean I was out on the road after a couple of hours and my instructor seemed pleased so hopefully after my course at the weekend I'll be well on my way. A pretest perhaps before Thursday and then fingers crossed :P...

Theres a book called 'This Is Your Bike' its on the RSA's website somewhere, It would no harm to give it a read as well as the rules of the road before the test.

fair play to you, just try cover all the basics , know what tyre pressure u need, thread depths, weither bike is air cooled or not, what brakes u have on back (disc or drum), how to check oil level, brake fluid level, how to adjust the chain, make sure on day of test that u look like u ride bikes, have proper protective gear, boots, armoured trousers, jacket, gloves and a helemt that fits properly (it gives the right impression and starts u off in ur test on a positive note)

AS for ur last comment
    i'd advise against doign the test with ur fingers crossed LMAO

keep us updated and let us know how u get on......;)

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Theres a book called 'This Is Your Bike' its on the RSA's website somewhere, It would no harm to give it a read as well as the rules of the road before the test.

Yep thanks noticed that reference on their site apparently it's not online so I called and they're sending one out! Am I doing my best or what! :p
    Gonna be embarrasing now if I fail! Really looking forward to my training this weekend now! Not so much the test! :D

EvilMonkey wrote: »

A bike cop pulled me over in town the other day and gave me that booklet :pac:

I think they recently republished it or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

how insulting!

Advertisement