Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get DC Power Supply for PC

Options
  • 15-07-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

Hi - Anyone know where I could get a DC power supply for a PC (Dell Optiplex)?

Can't find one on Dell and have tried searching lots of places.

We will be connecting the PC to a battery but would like to avoid getting an AC invertor if possible.

Thanks!

A

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Give me the exact stats on this particular Opti, but guessing from a normal one this just won't be feasible. Batteries are inherently limited in how much power they can provide, and a high-TDP PC like an old Opti would chew through ten times as much juice as a notebook, so if a notebook battery could power said notebook for two hours it'd only supply the Opti for... 12 minutes. And that's if the current draw (which would be ten times higher!) didn't cause the whole thing to catch fire anyway! :eek:

If we are talking about an ultra-low-power PC then what PSU you'd need depends on what the DC source is like. If its regulated 12V DC then you need a PicoPSU (neat yokes those). If its not 12V or unregulated (i.e. a car battery or similar, which vary ~9-15V depending on remaining charge) you need a Car PSU (usually with a 6-24VDC operating range) to correct the input voltage. In any case its hard to find solutions over 160W and I've never seen a Car PSU rated for more than 220W so the entire system couldn't have a 12V power draw of over 18A... and that's without any 3.3/5V draw! :o

Advertisement