Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Inspector Van

Options
  • 15-07-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭

Just seen it, white van with black lettering striking fear into the hearts of all in Joyce's car park in Knocknacarra. Close those curtains guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Or quickly do it online and quote the ref number. It works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Upload a photo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Inspector called here yesterday, west city centre :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

cornbb wrote: »

Ouch, here's hoping a)you had it or b)you didn't and they didn't treat you like a common criminal. I hate them by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

What time of day out of interest? Is it just business hours so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

they called at mine last year, and it was about 8 oclock in the evening.

thanks for the warning, personally i just peep in the spy hole and if i dont know the person i dont answer lol.. usually chuggers anyway
    hope they catch no one!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

They were in the Claddagh area yesterday, left a lovely note. No idea what time they called though

Close those curtains guys.
    Or buy a TV licence...

Or buy a TV licence...

Have done thank you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or buy a TV licence...

Does that mean I'd have to buy a TV too?

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Does that mean I'd have to buy a TV too?

I think from next year anyone that can spell tv has to get a license. :rolleyes:

Ouch, here's hoping a)you had it or b)you didn't and they didn't treat you like a common criminal. I hate them by the way.

We didn't have a license but she was quite pleasant and reasonable about it in fairness to her. I hate the notion of a TV license, its a bullsh*t tax, I switch the TV on about once a month. But the inspector herself wasn't evil or anything.

It was in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

They called to us 4 times, we were always gone,never paid it either, RTE is West Brit/Dub muck....not paying for that..

Anyway we always have out front blinds shut, the b0llix must have gone around the back and seen the tele in the kitchen, he wrote a note saying he was calling again cause he saw a tv set...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mike... wrote: »
    They called to us 4 times, we were always gone,never paid it either, RTE is West Brit/Dub muck....not paying for that..

Ha ha, spoken like a true Connaught man. Feckin' tans, commin' over ere takin our TV (and er jaaabs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

We didn't have a license but she was quite pleasant and reasonable about it in fairness to her. I hate the notion of a TV license, its a bullsh*t tax, I switch the TV on about once a month. But the inspector herself wasn't evil or anything.

It was in the morning.

Did she give ye a time limit to get a license?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

They have a van with "TV LICENCE INSPECTOR" in big bold writing? :confused:

Surely a bit of subterfuge would be required in this area, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just don't answer the door. Simple.

jamesd wrote: »
    Did she give ye a time limit to get a license?

Not really no but I'm under the impression that the sooner the better, to avoid a fine and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Anyway we always have out front blinds shut, the b0llix must have gone around the back and seen the tele in the kitchen, he wrote a note saying he was calling again cause he saw a tv set...

That not classed as trespassing? Are they allowed be sauntering around the house like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Could it be argued that u don't watch TV, but have a TV for your console? (just curious) Surely you don't need a TV licence if you don't use it.

I have a TV licence, but I truely never ever watch TV. I use my TV for games, get all the news I need from the web and hate listening to those west end brits in Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Krieg wrote: »

Flowers By Irene?
    Sniipe wrote: »
    Could it be argued that u don't watch TV, but have a TV for your console? (just curious) Surely you don't need a TV licence if you don't use it.

I have a TV licence, but I truely never ever watch TV. I use my TV for games, get all the news I need from the web and hate listening to those west end brits in Dublin :)
    "Any device capable of receiving a TV signal" is how it goes. If the TV has a tuner built into it, it needs a license. Likewise TV cards for PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Sniipe wrote: »

I'm afraid you would still need a licence. If you have something that is capable of receiving a television signal you need a licence. That's why soon they are bringing in a law that computers and laptops will be included in this category as you can get online tv stations and even watch rte online.

Krieg wrote: »

White caddy van with TV License Inspector in black lettering on the side along with a few more details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

That not classed as trespassing? Are they allowed be sauntering around the house like that?

Thats what we were thinking as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

he wrote a note saying he was calling again cause he saw a tv set...

thats grand....now you know to be out when he comes back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Got a letter in the door today from them,
    It said that the inspector called and saw a tv or aerial or cable box, and if we don't get a license in 7 days we will be issued with court appearance.

Bummer :(
    And i dont get paid till the end of the month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Let them try knocking on my door and they will be met with me in no top Drinking a can of dutch gold and shouting loudly at the wife:D
    You know i always wondered if they call to the housing estates of Southill or Moyross in limerick, i think we all know the answer to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Robbo wrote: »
    "Any device capable of receiving a TV signal" is how it goes. If the TV has a tuner built into it, it needs a license. Likewise TV cards for PCs.

"It's not a 'tv tuner' whatever that is. I'm an amateur radio astronomer. Behold the glory of the background radiation of the creation of the Universe!"
    *point at static being displayed on screen*

Or

Argue with them to adequately define what a device capable of tv signals is. "Well the molecules, atoms and their composition in the telly doesn't vary a whole lot from my microwave." The 'define a cat' defence. Works every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Advertisement