Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Inspector Van

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

Saw van too, white with black lettering yesterday evening round 7.30

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Soon my TV will be gone and that's me done with RTE they can fup right off I'll be getting everything through the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xxmarymoxx

Got a letter in the door today from them,
    It said that the inspector called and saw a tv or aerial or cable box, and if we don't get a license in 7 days we will be issued with court appearance.

Bummer :(
    And i dont get paid till the end of the month

Dont panic ring them and tell when you get paid you will pay it.One called her beginning of june i have to say he was very nice i told him i had no money for a while he gave me 5 weeks to pay it i think im wll over due must get to the post office:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Soon my TV will be gone and that's me done with RTE they can fup right off I'll be getting everything through the internet.

Think you'll be needing a TV licence for that too (not sure how that will be enforced if* it happens)

*or is it, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Inspector (female) came to our house a couple of weeks ago, left a note saying she detected a ariel or something! If you do get caught just give a fake name. By the time they get around to sending a summons it will be invalid because it was served on the wrong person!!!!!! Otherwise, just pay up!!! She came to my friends house and barged her way into the door. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

that tv licence stuff is a load of bull! theres a tv in our house, only used for dvds and playstation. dont have any tv channels.
    id be damned if they expect me to pay a licence for a tv that doesnt even belong to me. id happily admit it isnt my tv and who it belongs to. bitchy maybe but meh i aint forking out for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Just arrived home (Knocknacarra) to a slip of paper saying Tv Inspector had called, seen tv and satellite receiving equipment, and will be back again in 5 days. Just a heads up to anyone out this side to keep those curtains pulled!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

Just arrived home (Knocknacarra) to a slip of paper saying Tv Inspector had called, seen tv and satellite receiving equipment, and will be back again in 5 days. Just a heads up to anyone out this side to keep those curtains pulled!:D

Got the same thing a few days ago in Knocknacarra too.
    It's the wrong end of the month to be forking out 160 quid for the ****e that's on RTE.
    I'd feel a lot better about paying it in general if there weren't so many bloody ads, which are obviously bringing them in a lot of money too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Got the same note through the door today. Funny thing is I do have a TV licence, last renewed in June :rolleyes:

Note said they'll call back in 5 days, if they do I will give them a piece of my mind, they really should check who they call on. I forked out the 160 quid and want to be left alone!!!

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just arrived home (Knocknacarra) to a slip of paper saying Tv Inspector had called, seen tv and satellite receiving equipment, and will be back again in 5 days.

Don't let them in when they call back.
    Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Answer the door in the nip and see there reaction.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Cant understand how people still get caught for this :confused:

I operate a strict "no answer door" policy. Anyone who is calling around (that I invite) has my phone number so will text when theyre outside. Answering the door without knowing whos there leaves you open to salespeople, chuggers, or worse (in this case, tv license inspector)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That must be a sad way to have to live

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

That must be a sad way to have to live

I dry my tears with my absorbent 160 euro in notes.

A nice instructional video for you all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I don't think the not answering the door thing will work, himself here beside me says when they were in college they were notified a few times and eventually fined. I hate the idea of it but he always pays, once bitten twice shy I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

We have a TV but no channels (not even terrestrial), we just use it for PS2.

Do we still need a TV license? If so, they're off their rocker if they think we're paying for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ScumLord wrote: »
    A neighbour of ours brought them to court with the same argument, and lost.

It's incredibly hard to get 'done' for not having a TV license anyway. They need 100% proof you are receiving a signal and have no right to enter your property without a warrant, which is very low priority in courts compared to searches for drugs etc. If anyone knocks just tell them to piss off. I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss. What sort of people even become TV License Inspectors anyway? I'd rather draw the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Im never getting a tv license, im not keeping Ryan Tubridy and Joe Duffy in the lifestyle they have come to enjoy.

You only need look at the disgrace that RTE news is in holding our current crop of politicians to account. Utter shambolic.
    Contrast that to tonight when i saw Dick Roche get a roasting from Jon Snow of channel 4 news. He looked shocked and appalled. For to long theyve gotten easy rides from Miriam and Co.

I would sooner pay the english TV license then here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Cant understand how people still get caught for this :confused:

We were gone for the day (me working, the missus and the dog visiting my mom) and we left the curtains open. Our front room is one of those that has the wide windows, we (surprisingly) opened the front curtains this morn and he/she would have been able to spot the tv/receiver etc set-up.

What bugs me more than having to get a Rip-Off License is the fact that someone feels/is allowed/chances the entitlement to have a look through someones front windows.

Wouldn't mind but a couple nights ago we were here and a lad walked directly by the front window and looked directly in as he passed. He was doing the 'Eirtricity' rounds and had left the adjoining house next door and just hopped the low hedgerow instead of walking out the 2 meters of their drive and coming back in ours. That's fair enough, I've done my share of paper routes as a young lad and know the advantages of short cuts but I didn't like him looking in en-route and let him politely know (he seemed a nice dude).

Regarding the TV license, I'm thinking we will pay it up as we now have a dog whose undercover skills aren't the best and we've been caught so fair is fair, in the context of paying this stupid bloody tax I don't agree but if your caught your caught.

For the rest of you Anti-Tv License folk, keep it country, and set the dogs on them. Unfortunately, our dog is a bloody coward. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Is it just houses or apartments too? Got done few years ago in college, guy called at 8pm said he was from an post checking addresses and me being half asleep gave my name! just give a false name and tell them to f*** off!

No matter how good your signal is or if its just for games console or cctv, the law states if you possess a device capable of picking up a signal your expected to have a tv licence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It is also done by household and not by telly, so if you take your telly to a holiday home you need another license apparently!
    Last year we had to sign a 'declaration of no tv' or something hilarious like that. We don't have a telly but have cable for Internet coming in. A nasty inspector lady came by and was rude insisting she come in to 'verify' I had no set:mad: I told her to eff off and she threatened to 'come back with a guard' ha ha. I rang up to complain next day, guy was nice and said sorry but inspectors normally just peep in for a sec to sitting room. I pointed out if we had a telly it could be anywhere bedroom etc, so it would be a total invasion of privacy to let the inspector 'check'
    we just had to sign something saying we have no telly.
    If they start charging for laptops we're fcuked

Wouldn't mind but a couple nights ago we were here and a lad walked directly by the front window and looked directly in as he passed. He was doing the 'Eirtricity' rounds and had left the adjoining house next door and just hopped the low hedgerow instead of walking out the 2 meters of their drive and coming back in ours. That's fair enough, I've done my share of paper routes as a young lad and know the advantages of short cuts but I didn't like him looking in en-route and let him politely know (he seemed a nice dude).
    You're like the slut with the low cut top who gives out when guys stare. Cop yourself on or replace all your glass with one-way mirrors :pac:
    shakin wrote: »
    Is it just houses or apartments too? Got done few years ago in college, guy called at 8pm said he was from an post checking addresses and me being half asleep gave my name!
    Is it not a serious offence to impersonate a state body like An Post?
    Also what's the craic with them calling at 8pm? My bank rang me on a Sunday recently and I told them in no uncertain terms never to bother me outside office hours (works both ways ye fúckers!)
    No matter how good your signal is or if its just for games console or cctv, the law states if you possess a device capable of picking up a signal your expected to have a tv licence
    Hmm in my case it's not like the TV is working but we just use it for consoles - it doesn't actually pick up any signal: isn't connected to an aerial or anything like. If they think I'm paying a license for that they can jog on!

We live in a flat anyway, so I don't see how they'd find out. In fact, if they got past the main door and came up to ours, is that not trespassing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    A neighbour of ours brought them to court with the same argument, and lost.
    How did they manage to get fined for owning a computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I agree that the TV licence is an utter waste, I may aswell BURN 160euro as pay it tbh; however, I do pay it every year and always have, as I'm one of these fine fearing types. I swear by the Post Office TV licence savings stamps, they are 4euro each, and the Post office will give you a book to stick them into. I buy a few everytime I am in the post office over the year, and make up the full 160 in no time have done so for the past 5 years. It might sound like a bit of a twee way of doing things, but I find that it takes the sting out of paying the full whack for essentially nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's a TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

JustMary wrote: »
    What's a TV?
    It's when daddy likes to dress up in mummy's clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

<rant_mode>

I disagree with the principle of charging for a TV license when you're being advertised at and should I ever have got (disposed of tv recently) pulled up in court I would argue this to my death. It's completely immoral to charge you twice for something which is essentially what they're doing. Fine, charge a license fee but remove the ads or show the ads and remove the license fee but **** off for doing both.

Secondly, RTE presenters are disgustingly overpaid (with money from peoples license fees).

Thirdly, I want an unbiased tv station that will not refuse to show ads such as the 'Older and Bolder' ad campaign against cutting the pensions and that will report on cases such as the Brian Cowen pictures in the National Gallery without apology.

</rant_mode>

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

dafunk wrote: »
    <rant_mode>

I disagree with the principle of charging for a TV license when you're being advertised at and should I ever have got (disposed of tv recently) pulled up in court I would argue this to my death. It's completely immoral to charge you twice for something which is essentially what they're doing. Fine, charge a license fee but remove the ads or show the ads and remove the license fee but **** off for doing both.

Secondly, RTE presenters are disgustingly overpaid (with money from peoples license fees).

Thirdly, I want an unbiased tv station that will not refuse to show ads such as the 'Older and Bolder' ad campaign against cutting the pensions and that will report on cases such as the Brian Cowen pictures in the National Gallery without apology.

</rant_mode>

Well said/ranted. Absoloutely right, the BBC gives a fantastic service without ads which I would gladly pay for, but RTE as well as being rubbish and VERY selective in what they show just shaft you twice. Paying through the nose for ads to bore the arse off you and have overpaid - toe the line presenters condescend to us about negativity - No Thanks.
    great thread by the way lots of useful info.

Would objectors to RTE pay for a BBC licence? and how would that go in court? not being a dodger but only paying for what your watch and enjoy!:D

• Advertisement

I've only lived in Ireland the past 3-4 years and not a big TV person. This is the first time I've known that RTE actually show adverts. What an absolute farce.

Advertisement