Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Inspector Van

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

yeehaw wrote: »
    If you look at the legislation on this, which is seriously dated, strictly speaking you need a tv license for mobile phones.

No you don't........................ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69119736&postcount=69

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I stand corrected. My legal studies ended in 2008 and I have not stayed current!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

dilallio wrote: »
    �� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Household and occupier details are checked against the electoral register as frequently as it is issued. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Information is compiled from inspectors reports, ‘on the ground’ information provided by post deliverers (including details from re-direction forms) and other local sources. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Lists of persons entitled to have their television licence fees paid under the Department of Social and Family Affairs free licence scheme, and terminations of free licence entitlement are provided by the Department to An Post on a monthly basis. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Results of centrally-organised mail shots are analysed and used to update the database. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]County Council planning permission numbers and local authority housing completions augmented by inspectors’ reports are used to identify new houses. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Commercially available household directories are used to identify houses not recorded on the database. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Source : http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/v..._TVLicence.pdf
    Don't forget the PRTB.
    yeehaw wrote: »
    I stand corrected. My legal studies ended in 2008 and I have not stayed current!
    Could happen to the best of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Getting rid of the telly in a week or two, buying a large monitor, and setting up XBMC on an old tower. No more licence, bloody fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

What if you dont have any ntil or sky -just keep your tv for watching dvd's? Do you still have to pay? That would be rediculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

"If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal ... "

- mine is not capable.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

I know in the UK that if you have a laptop or mobile phone that receives LIVE television then you must have a license for the device. However, if you are watching historical broadcasts only a license is not required. I wonder if that's the same in Ireland?

In the past i have had letters from the Inspector saying they observed that i had a TV, even though i lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. The only way they could have observed it is by getting a Cherry Picker in the forecourt of Dun Aengus and looking in the window. Unlikely!I called up the next day and sarcastically pointed out the error to the guy in the Post Office while informing him i did not have a TV and to stop sending unsolicited, confrontational mail to my address in future. He apologised and said he would update the records.

It disgusts me that your 160 quid a year finances dickheads like Ryan Tubridys extravagant lifestyle and if you don't pay it, you get taken to court even though you may be on the dole and cant afford it.Sickening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

drum! wrote: »

In the past i have had letters from the Inspector saying they observed that i had a TV, even though i lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. The only way they could have observed it is by getting a Cherry Picker in the forecourt of Dun Aengus and looking in the window.

That's the kind of spoof you are dealing with.
    Give it right back to them folks, Give it right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Why don't people bring it up with their politicians? I would if I was old enough to. We don't have a tv so doesn't bother us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Every time someone posts here do we rush to the thread to see if they are in our area ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Thankfully i never bought a tv license. My tv broke after 3 months. Apparently you need a license for a broken tv - a tv that doesnt turn on. They can fcuk right off

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

please oh please post a pic of it

QUOTE=happyoutscan;61154391]Just seen it, white van with black lettering striking fear into the hearts of all in Joyce's car park in Knocknacarra. Close those curtains guys.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

that list of all the ways they can find out about what and how many people are in the the house sounds like the cia
    dilallio wrote: »
    And a wire clothes hanger - that's also capable of picking up a tv signal (when shoved into the arial-slot in the telly)

If they drop a letter through your letterbox, and it does not have your name on it, then there's not a lot they can do. They have to have a name on it before they can prosecute you.

They get names from:

�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Household and occupier details are checked against the electoral register as frequently as it is issued. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Information is compiled from inspectors reports, ‘on the ground’ information provided by post deliverers (including details from re-direction forms) and other local sources. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Lists of persons entitled to have their television licence fees paid under the Department of Social and Family Affairs free licence scheme, and terminations of free licence entitlement are provided by the Department to An Post on a monthly basis. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Results of centrally-organised mail shots are analysed and used to update the database. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]County Council planning permission numbers and local authority housing completions augmented by inspectors’ reports are used to identify new houses. [/FONT]

[/FONT]�� [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Commercially available household directories are used to identify houses not recorded on the database. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Source : http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/v..._TVLicence.pdf

For anyone who is afraid of registering to vote before the Nov 26th deadline (in case you now get a letter from the TV licence crowd), there are now 2 application forms to register, and on one of them (the new one), they cannot use your information for anything other than placing you on the electoral register.

If you look elsewhere in the report above, you will see that for 2009, very few large fines were issued by the courts - most cases were resolved by the person buying a licence before the court case.

The only people I've heard who actually went to jail for non-payment, didn't pay because of their personal / political views, and the courts were left with no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

What happens when the analogue service is turned off. Not all new tv are capable of receiving DTT how will they prove yours is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Any sign of inspectors lately?no sign in knocknacara/barna for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

barryd09 wrote: »
    Any sign of inspectors lately?no sign in knocknacara/barna for a while.

little to be worried about much?

good god!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

TV Inspector knocking on doors in Knocnacarra/Clybaun as I type....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I wonder did many of the previous Posters vowing not to cough up stay with it or did they end up paying for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Im still a renegade, tbf to the inspector though, he left a nice bit of roach material in my door this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

When I was a student many years ago, we received a notice to pay for a TV licence even though we didn't have a TV. When I rang An Post to ask about this, they said it was because there was coaxial cable going into the house and this was classes as a receiving device and therefore we should have had a TV licence. So of course.....................we ignored it, especially since the threatening letters were addressed to someone by the name of 'The Occupant' who we never even heard of never mind shared a house with the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

kevin65 wrote: »
    When I was a student many years ago, we received a notice to pay for a TV licence even though we didn't have a TV. When I rang An Post to ask about this, they said it was because there was coaxial cable going into the house and this was classes as a receiving device and therefore we should have had a TV licence. So of course.....................we ignored it, especially since the threatening letters were addressed to someone by the name of 'The Occupant' who we never even heard of never mind shared a house with the guy.

There's a good link with info to this somewhere on here. Basically people are liable for any telly is a receiving device even if it's broken, a computer with a scart/pickup thingy. But the can't (yet) get you for ordinary computers or cables. In theory,people can have Internet coming in but no telly. Yer man 'occupant' lived in a house I was in too! ;)

An aerial & lead is not classed as a receiving device. A laptop could be if it had a tv tuner or was connected to one. But receiving TV programs via the internet doesn't require a license...............yet :)

Discodog wrote: »
    An aerial & lead is not classed as a receiving device. A laptop could be if it had a tv tuner or was connected to one. But receiving TV programs via the internet doesn't require a license...............yet :)

Yup. What we both said...including the 'yet'! It's the 'yet' part we have to worry about!:D

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yup. What we both said...including the 'yet'! It's the 'yet' part we have to worry about!:D

Well one of the internet streaming companies that are popular with the Footie fans here has added RTE to it's channel list. The only thing that will prevent us getting TV online will be our crap internet connections.

Discodog wrote: »
    Well one of the internet streaming companies that are popular with the Footie fans here has added RTE to it's channel list. The only thing that will prevent us getting TV online will be our crap internet connections.

There have been loads of them available for ages, live player on RTE, TG4, all Aertv etc. They just don't fall under the TV license remit *yet* as the inter-web is so fast changing and the laws haven't been changed.
    The only one that applies currently, as we both mentioned, is having a device that allows your computer to act as a monitor for regular telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TThey just don't fall under the TV license remit *yet* as the inter-web is so fast changing and the laws haven't been changed.

And if politicians and public servants had an interest in maximising revenue and minimising enforcement costs (and didn't mind making the TV license inspectors redundant), they would simply bundle the cost into general taxation, and give up this silly nonsense of licensing every house.

JustMary wrote: »
    TThey just don't fall under the TV license remit *yet* as the inter-web is so fast changing and the laws haven't been changed.

And if politicians and public servants had an interest in maximising revenue and minimising enforcement costs (and didn't mind making the TV license inspectors redundant), they would simply bundle the cost into general taxation, and give up this sill nonsense of licensing every house.

I am old enough to remember when it was not unusual to hear of a house with no telly though! what you say would have ruffled feathers back then. :p

Advertisement