Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faustino Rioja Gran Reserva I

Options
  • 15-07-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I'm partial to a bottle of the above it's one of my favorite wine's but in the "current economic climate" I'm looking for something along the same lines but a little easier on the pocket.

aldi do a Ramon Lopez Murillo Rioja Reserva 2002 for 8.99 which is pretty nice does anyone know of wine's along the same line preferably under 10e

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Very fond of the Faustino m'self. The shops in Heathrow generally do it at £20 for two bottles -- I always pick some up on the way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I personally think Faustino is over rated and over priced. On your question about a rioja for under a tenner. That'd be no!! Not a quality one anyways. You will get criazas for that price and they'll be ok but Rioja reserve is expensive to produce with a five year delay on returns for the vineyard due to the laws.

Id recommend you go into to a Marks an Spencers and for between 12-15 you'll get a very good rioja that will taste as good. I think 10 euro is a good price for Mon-thurs then between 12-15 for the weekend.. All that stress has got to be worth something during the week.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

+1 on M&S - they do a nice Ribero del Duero (Tempranillo) at 15 euro but if you are ever in N.I. or UK you will get it for under a tenner. See below from the m&S website (in stg pounds)

Nos Riqueza Ribera del Duero 2006 - Case of 6
    £53.95
    (£8.99/bottle)
    Product Code: 00577823

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

Currently at €16.99 in Tesco (€20 everywhere else)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

for me "Marquis De Riscal reserve" is a much better bottle of red wine than the Faustino Gran Reserve, i THINK is a similar price to Faustino but again for me is smoother, better body and excellent with Christmas type dinner for sure :)

enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

If you like the Rioja style, I'd also recommend the Protocolo 2007 from O'Briens (€8.39). Leave it open for 3-4 hours or better yet, decant it. The critics have raved about it all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

sourgrapes wrote: »
    If you like the Rioja style, I'd also recommend the Protocolo 2007 from O'Briens (€8.39). Leave it open for 3-4 hours or better yet, decant it. The critics have raved about it all year.

With respect, I doubt a 2007 wine of any type will be similar to a gran reserva Rioja.

I could easily believe it'd be as good as a 2007 Rioja

Advertisement