Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

side gate rotten, salvage or get a new one?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I have a side gate about 2 meters wide. It seems to be a decent heavy door but I had to take it off recently as we were doing the side paving.

Anyway I was going to clean it up but as I was sanding there are some parts that are fairly rotten. I can get a key and push it thru its so soft. Is there anything I can do for it in regards to wood hardening. I don't want to sand the whole lot off as I'm not a carpenter and wouldn't have the skill to fix it up that way. I'd say 95% of the gate is fine.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Sniipe wrote: »
    I have a side gate about 2 meters wide. It seems to be a decent heavy door but I had to take it off recently as we were doing the side paving.

Anyway I was going to clean it up but as I was sanding there are some parts that are fairly rotten. I can get a key and push it thru its so soft. Is there anything I can do for it in regards to wood hardening. I don't want to sand the whole lot off as I'm not a carpenter and wouldn't have the skill to fix it up that way. I'd say 95% of the gate is fine.

Any suggestions?

You can buy epoxy-based wood hardeners at most DIY stores. I've used them and they work fine, but you also need to treat the wood afterward with preservative or the rot will spread beyond the hardened part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sniipe wrote: »

Any suggestions?

It depends where its wrotten. as art said the epoxy works great I have used it. Just make sure its not wrotten around the hindge as it weekens it. It might need strenghting if the case with lats of wood.

ps i love your 10 different types of people quote! I take it i am a 1 or maybe a 0

Advertisement