Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Ireland secures 33 Premier League Games

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Whats the actual breakdown between the three of them? Who is showing the most games etc. Somebody said that sky and ESPN would be splitting most of them between them? surely sky would have more than setanta and ESPN.

My understanding is that Setanta have the 3 pm saturday. ESPN have Monday nights and sky have the rest?

Anybody have the breakdown? Even a rough one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Kirby wrote: »
    Whats the actual breakdown between the three of them? Who is showing the most games etc. Somebody said that sky and ESPN would be splitting most of them between them? surely sky would have more than setanta and ESPN.

My understanding is that Setanta have the 3 pm saturday. ESPN have Monday nights and sky have the rest?

Anybody have the breakdown? Even a rough one?

ESPN just picked up the package that setanta had for the UK, so the saturday 5.30 or monday 8.00 game.

Setanta Ireland will show games at 3 pm on saturday.

Sky will be the same as they were. 4 pm on sunday, then some of the rescheduled fixtures due to teams playing in europe, so saturday lunchtime, sunday lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Didn't want to start a new thread, but Sky Sports have announced they've won this package and will take it on from next season (2016/2017). 33 live games on Saturday at 3pm throughout the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paully D wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but Sky Sports have announced they've won this package and will take it on from next season (2016/2017). 33 live games on Saturday at 3pm throughout the season.

Just here or in England too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

CSF wrote: »

It's just here in the Republic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

must be exclusively in Ireland - the 3 O'Clocks don't get shown in the UK

greendom wrote: »
    must be exclusively in Ireland - the 3 O'Clocks don't get shown in the UK

Ah yeah I knew the rule, was wondering if Sky has got their way with changing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think they may be allowed to show the games in Scotland too, as they dont have the 3pm rule up there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think they may be allowed to show the games in Scotland too, as they dont have the 3pm rule up there.

When it comes to TV rights it's the UK rather than England, so no 3pm games for Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

When it comes to TV rights it's the UK rather than England, so no 3pm games for Scotland.

S4C used to show Welsh games at 3:15pm every Saturday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Premier League rights are sold on a UK basis. There is no 3pm package sold within the UK, therefore 3pm matches wont be broadcast anywhere in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

was that delayed coverage, afaik the LoW games kick off at 2.30

was that delayed coverage, afaik the LoW games kick off at 2.30

Some weeks it was 3:15 some weeks at 2:30.

This season it has been 5:15 so after the black out window.

But looking here next 2:30 game will be in Jan.

Also good to keep an eye on this channel for extra FA Cup games that neither the BBC or BT pick up that feature a Welsh team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pitty they wouldn't buy the rights to them all and have red button option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It still amazes me that there is still no option to buy a subscription package to watch Premier League games online.... Legally of course.

A model similar to the NFL's Gamepass would work a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Scotland does have the rule and Wales doesn't. S4C as has been said used to show live games from Wales during the blackout in the rest of the UK. However these games on Sky will the Ireland only. The Premier League never sold Welsh rights for 3pm games.
    Unearthly wrote: »
    Pitty they wouldn't buy the rights to them all and have red button option

They can't tell the Premier League what rights to sell. No other provider in Europe can show all games via satellite anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That_Guy wrote: »
    It still amazes me that there is still no option to buy a subscription package to watch Premier League games online.... Legally of course.

And a redzone style programme for Saturday's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That_Guy wrote: »

Yes there could be a non-UK online service with access to all games on demand, with blackouts of any games begin shown as part of a TV service.

Won't happen until the end of the latest agreed TV deal though.

To be honest, I think that the Premier League are right to keep 3 pm free as a non-televised spot but IMO they should have kept Saturday free of televised Premier League/Football League football altogether. The lure of making the trip to Oxford may well be diminished further where the Manchester derby is on the telly that morning, finishing up at 2:30.

There was adequate TV slots between Friday, Sunday and Monday to have 4 (possibly 5) televised Premier League games a weekend. More than enough.

The over-saturation of football on television would clearly have a detrimental effect on the ability to attract people to football matches, and I'd imagine the problem gets harder as you work down the league. This is obviously something the Premier League/Football League/FA would want to safeguard as empty grounds certainly doesn't help them promote their brand.

In countries that aren't in the UK televised football makes sense on Saturdays, because you're likely to attract more people to book a trip over to Premier League games than you will lose in people deciding to stay home that day to watch at home or in the pub.

• Advertisement

Yes there could be a non-UK online service with access to all games on demand, with blackouts of any games begin shown as part of a TV service.

Won't happen until the end of the latest agreed TV deal though.

With proxy servers etc. it wouldn't be much more difficult to access in the UK than in any other countries. Certainly wouldn't fit with their battle to fight online streaming.

There is plenty of Premier League football available all over the world in any case. Further saturation would be counter-productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

To be honest, I think that the Premier League are right to keep 3 pm free as a non-televised spot but IMO they should have kept Saturday free of televised Premier League/Football League football altogether. The lure of making the trip to Oxford may well be diminished further where the Manchester derby is on the telly that morning, finishing up at 2:30.

There was adequate TV slots between Friday, Sunday and Monday to have 4 (possibly 5) televised Premier League games a weekend. More than enough.

The over-saturation of football on television would clearly have a detrimental effect on the ability to attract people to football matches, and I'd imagine the problem gets harder as you work down the league. This is obviously something the Premier League/Football League/FA would want to safeguard as empty grounds certainly doesn't help them promote their brand.

In countries that aren't in the UK televised football makes sense on Saturdays, because you're likely to attract more people to book a trip over to Premier League games than you will lose in people deciding to stay home that day to watch at home or in the pub.

This. The Premier League would love to sell that 3pm slot though. It is just that they're not allowed to for the exact reason you're saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

With proxy servers etc. it wouldn't be much more difficult to access in the UK than in any other countries. Certainly wouldn't fit with their battle to fight online streaming.

There is plenty of Premier League football available all over the world in any case. Further saturation would be counter-productive.

The majority of the target audience have no real knowledge of proxies etc, and fewer still would have the confidence to use them.

Online soccer would not add to further saturation.
    In Ireland I can see EPL games approx 6 times between Saturday and Monday, an online service would give me more variety in what games I could see in those slots, and it would mean I do not need a TV service that gives me other s%"t like speedway that I don't want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Have attendances at lower league games in England dropped significantly since the PL's inception? I thought football attendances in England were up now for the divisions will all seater stadiums since they were first introduced so that would kinda cancel out your point, no?

No 3pm's is nanny state enough for me let alone decreeing that you can't have football on any time on a Saturday.

Attendances are up but they're not competing with live football in that Saturday afternoon slot which is the key one, especially with attracting the next generation of supporters.

Lower league clubs are going to find it even more difficult to attract fans following the likely cut in ticket prices that certain clubs will put through when they have the cash from the new TV deal. It is very difficult to attract people to Roots Hall or Sixfields for £22 a ticket as it is. It'll be even more difficult when people can stay indoors and watch Liverpool vs Arsenal at the same time instead.

I don't think it would be the death knell for most clubs as we tend to compete for crowds on Champions League evenings, for example. But it will definitely have an impact and it is right that the interest of the 72 non-PL clubs are protected by the law.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If there happened to be a 15 minute delay in a 12.45pm game, I assume that the TV coverage would have to cut off at 2.45 rather than show the last few minutes because of the embargo? Has this ever happened? I know some Spanish games (El Classico a couple of times) has fallen foul of this as 5pm kickoffs when coverage could only start at 5.15 in the UK, but I don't think I've seen this other situation happen.

But it's an assumption that increased TV coverage will lead to lower gate numbers that's factually false with all the evidence we have. The 72 non PL teams already get compensated by the premier league with the TV money too.

Why by the way do you think that clubs will cut ticket prices when they're higher now than ever before? Even if they did, most premier league grounds operate almost at capacity for games as it is so there's little room for someone an increased premier league attendance to effect the FL.

The fact is that people in England go to live games up and down the country to all sizes of clubs. It's in an amazingly healthy position compared to any other major euro country. I know people who will go to a game with their family every saturday at what ever club has a home game closest to them such is the love for live football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

5starpool wrote: »
    If there happened to be a 15 minute delay in a 12.45pm game, I assume that the TV coverage would have to cut off at 2.45 rather than show the last few minutes because of the embargo?

I recall one game going past the 2.45pm cut off before. I think there's an exemption made for such an occurrence.

It's very very rare for a premier league game not to start on time.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jayop wrote: »
    It's very very rare for a premier league game not to start on time.

More due to an injury I was thinking, as for some really bad incidents the game can easily be stopped for 10+ mins. Leg breaks like the David Buust horrible one of years ago for instance, or even more extreme the Fabrice Muamba incident. Rare enough as well thankfully, but I was just thinking out loud mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

5starpool wrote: »
    More due to an injury I was thinking, as for some really bad incidents the game can easily be stopped for 10+ mins. Leg breaks like the David Buust horrible one of years ago for instance, or even more extreme the Fabrice Muamba incident. Rare enough as well thankfully, but I was just thinking out loud mostly.

Muamba game was called off if I remember correctly (And rightfully so)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

But it's an assumption that increased TV coverage will lead to lower gate numbers that's factually false with all the evidence we have. The 72 non PL teams already get compensated by the premier league with the TV money too.

Why by the way do you think that clubs will cut ticket prices when they're higher now than ever before? Even if they did, most premier league grounds operate almost at capacity for games as it is so there's little room for someone an increased premier league attendance to effect the FL.

The fact is that people in England go to live games up and down the country to all sizes of clubs. It's in an amazingly healthy position compared to any other major euro country. I know people who will go to a game with their family every saturday at what ever club has a home game closest to them such is the love for live football.

It's a fair assumption I think. Unless you think not a single person will think "nah I'll stay in and watch the game on TV" rather than go to a lower league match.

There's already pressure forming on the Premier League clubs to cut prices and the new TV deal creates a situation where ticket revenue becomes a relatively minor part of their income. Simply put they can afford to cut prices and I suspect many will need to do so at least to a degree. I'm not suggesting it will be a tenner a ticket or anything like that because FFP will dictate that clubs look to maximise every penny they can, but I think there's a fair chance that in a year or two it'll cost the same to get in at Orient as it will a mile up the road at West Ham.

You're right about the state of football in England but that needs to be protected.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's a fair assumption I think. Unless you think not a single person will think "nah I'll stay in and watch the game on TV" rather than go to a lower league match.

There's already pressure forming on the Premier League clubs to cut prices and the new TV deal creates a situation where ticket revenue becomes a relatively minor part of their income. Simply put they can afford to cut prices and I suspect many will need to do so at least to a degree. I'm not suggesting it will be a tenner a ticket or anything like that because FFP will dictate that clubs look to maximise every penny they can, but I think there's a fair chance that in a year or two it'll cost the same to get in at Orient as it will a mile up the road at West Ham.

You're right about the state of football in England but that needs to be protected.

For every one who decided not to go because there's a game on the telly you could have another one who only became interested in football because of it's proliferation on TV and decided to go watch a live match as a result.

This isn't an argument that either of us could win because either of us could be right. It's unknowable.

For every one who decided not to go because there's a game on the telly you could have another one who only became interested in football because of it's proliferation on TV and decided to go watch a live match as a result.

This isn't an argument that either of us could win because either of us could be right. It's unknowable.
    But that's why it's important to have both. You should have football on TV to promote the Premier League (or whichever league you're talking about) brand. But not every game should be on television, and they should be all televised at a time that doesn't have a negative impact on the non-televised.

Ideally, Friday evening, Sunday and Monday evening would be the time for televised football, leaving Saturday for games only having to compete with football to other countries.

Best of both worlds. I'd also refute your point about attendances having increased simultaneously, because there are other factors at play here also, safety at football grounds etc. There is no question that having games on television (notably Sky who made great things happen for the Premier League) brought the Premier League and its brand on big time over the years, but you don't want to inflate that balloon so much that it bursts.

But that's why it's important to have both. You should have football on TV to promote the Premier League (or whichever league you're talking about) brand. But not every game should be on television, and they should be all televised at a time that doesn't have a negative impact on the non-televised.

Ideally, Friday evening, Sunday and Monday evening would be the time for televised football, leaving Saturday for games only having to compete with football to other countries.

Best of both worlds. I'd also refute your point about attendances having increased simultaneously, because there are other factors at play here also, safety at football grounds etc. There is no question that having games on television (notably Sky who made great things happen for the Premier League) brought the Premier League and its brand on big time over the years, but you don't want to inflate that balloon so much that it bursts.

Oh I'm not saying that football on TV is the main reason crowds at all games are on the up, but they are so football on TV certainly hasn't had a negative effect on crowds.

Oh I'm not saying that football on TV is the main reason crowds at all games are on the up, but they are so football on TV certainly hasn't had a negative effect on crowds.
    That isn't true though. Other factors (safety at football grounds after the dark ages that led to football clubs not being allowed in Europe) had a bigger positive impact than the negative impact that over-saturation of football on TV had on crowds.

Important to note that the argument isn't about the effect of football on television. You wouldn't have many to argue that the exposure of football to many who weren't brought to games as kids has led to people becoming matchgoing fans. The argument is to do with the over-saturation of football on Television. It probably wouldn't shock you to learn that attendances in the Football League have dropped consistently since the introduction of 2 televised games on a Saturday sandwiching the traditional 3 PM kickoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

There is a huge amount of soccer on TV currently adding one more game per week is not going to increase the attention the game gets and attract more people to attend live.

Your argument would only apply in a situation where there isn't a massive amount of the sport on TV already, but soccer has blanket coverage in the media so the only benefit of one more live game at 3pm on a Saturday would be more money for the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Great to see Sky finally recognise Ireland as a separate TV market and not being part of the UK. As someone mentioned earlier we've had to miss the start of El Classico games because of the English ban on live games between 2:45 and 5:15

Advertisement